Advertisement

Avenging Spider-Man #5 (Liberty Bonds Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Avenging Spider-Man #5 (Liberty Bonds Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 am

An enjoyable issue that did really well in establishing a connection between Spider-Man and Captain America, and drawing the appropriate parallels. Both characters were weedy nerds before they got their super-powers, but whereas Peter Parker continued to be a dork, Steve Rogers left it all behind and became basically a full-time superhero (although wasn’t he a comic-book artist for Marvel in the 70s? I’m surprised they didn’t mention that). Here, Peter helps Steve rediscover something of who he was before the super-soldier serum, and it’s really quite sweet. It’s also of course very funny, Zeb Wells writes some damn good comedy. I especially liked how he turned Leinil Yu drawing Hawkeye in the wrong costume into a nice joke, and the stuff about Liberty Bonds was hilarious. Apart from the Hawkeye costume stuff, Yu’s art was of course fantastic, he’s a great artist, and although I love his creator-owned books with Millar, he’s always a welcome sight on a Marvel book. One thing I thought was interesting here was that it continued the Serpent Society plotline from #4, is Wells developing more here than just fun team-ups? Is there a deeper plot?

Advertisement

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Re: Avenging Spider-Man #5 (Liberty Bonds Spoilers)

Postby Chesscub » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:07 am

Captain America was indeed a comic artist drawing Captain America in the 80s.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand