Advertisement

Avenging Spider-Man #4 (Smelling Salt Arrow Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Avenging Spider-Man #4 (Smelling Salt Arrow Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:10 am

Whilst hardly being essential reading, AVSM continues to be a very enjoyable little series. This issue was a team-up between Spider-Man and the Avenger who is suddenly showing up everywhere these days, Hawkeye. I like Hawkeye, but his ubiquity is odd, I know he’s going to be in the Avengers movie, but then so is Black Widow, and she isn’t nearly as omnipresent. Maybe people just like his new costume? We all know that Zeb Wells writes a fantastic Spider-Man, but his Hawkeye was very good as well, I especially liked how he described his need to constantly train, because he’s on a team with superheroes and gods, and he’s just a dude with a bow and arrow. Hawkeye has always kind of been about feelings of inadequacy, it’s why he became a villain in the first place (trying to impress a girl) and it’s why he became Goliath for a while. This issue managed to expose those feelings, but crucially, without turning Hawkeye into a joke. The sequence where Spidey makes him think he beat Sidewinder was great stuff. Greg Land’s art is of course controversial, but you have to give him some props for getting this issue out on the same day as Uncanny X-Men #7. He’s fast, give him that!

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 406 posts

Re: Avenging Spider-Man #4 (Smelling Salt Arrow Spoilers)

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:00 am

This series is so fucking awful. There really isnt anything good to say about this book.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Punchy wrote:I like Hawkeye, but his ubiquity is odd, I know he’s going to be in the Avengers movie, but then so is Black Widow, and she isn’t nearly as omnipresent. Maybe people just like his new costume?

While I'd like to see more of Black Widow (heyoooooo!), she had her push (wooooo!) around the time of Iron Man 2. It's Hawkeye's turn now.

Widow's in Winter Soldier but yeah, she should have at least a prominent team up somewhere else...

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 pm

I liked this issue. It showed Barton's arrogance as well as Peter's heart.

The Bass

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby The Bass » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Absolutely wretched. And I say this as a die hard Marvel fan, this was even worse than Batman this week.

Awful story, straight from the Jim Shooter school of fill-ins. Awful art (I say this as a Greg Land fan), and, of course, what bad story at Marvel can't be made worse by the slack jawed yokel himself, Hawkeye.

Appalling stuff. Third Marvel book I dropped this week.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Punchy wrote:This issue was a team-up between Spider-Man and the Avenger who is suddenly showing up everywhere these days, Hawkeye. I like Hawkeye, but his ubiquity is odd, I know he’s going to be in the Avengers movie, but then so is Black Widow, and she isn’t nearly as omnipresent. Maybe people just like his new costume?

Wolverine Publicity

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:49 pm

So the story in a nutshell....Insecure Hawkeye misses a shot, Spider-Man covers it up to protect his ego.

What a shit series. And this one even had Greg Land art to compound that.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 644 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Did Bubba write this book? Because I've never seen Hawkeye so blatantly inept and buffoonish since he committed suicide back in Disassembled.

Ugh - what a horrible issue.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand