Advertisement

AVX #9 spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: AVX #9 spoilers

Postby chap22 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:29 pm

agreed with all the praise for Aaron's Spidey this issue. this was phenomenal.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Another thing I love about Aaron's spiderman, he writes him as an adult as opposed to a grown up teenager.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Draco x
penile prisoner

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Draco x » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Enjoyable issue thus far-I didn't get the relevance of Emma killing that random guy for murdering some kid mutant back in the 80's though-unless it's leading up to Emma going on a killing spree for the next remaining issues.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:23 pm

That was absolutely phenomenal. Aaron wrote the best spidey I've read in a long time. I don't blame T'Challa though, i would divorce my wife if she joined some fascist new world order type organization. and tried to fight and imprison all my friends
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:26 pm

This issue had one of my favorite Spidey moments ever.

EVER.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:28 pm

draco x wrote:Enjoyable issue thus far-I didn't get the relevance of Emma killing that random guy for murdering some kid mutant back in the 80's though-unless it's leading up to Emma going on a killing spree for the next remaining issues.

its foreshadowing...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:30 pm

draco x wrote:Enjoyable issue thus far-I didn't get the relevance of Emma killing that random guy for murdering some kid mutant back in the 80's though-unless it's leading up to Emma going on a killing spree for the next remaining issues.

With her and Scott being the last phoenix's it sets up scott killing Emma and then letting his own phoenix power go elsewhere. It seems out of place in this issue but I think it will fit into the picture of Emma being the real big bad here.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Holland Oats wrote:This issue had one of my favorite Spidey moments ever.

EVER.

Agree. Spider-Man came off victorious in one of his most heroic moments after being beaten within an inch of his life and still managing to prevail. And Aaron portrayed the whole thing beautifully.

And for once we got a cover that accurately portrayed an actual scene from inside the book :lol:

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Anyone who knows me here, knows I'm not a fan of Marvel's direction these last 8-9 years of a writer having a story that they force the characters into. To me characters are always more important than the story and that been lacking for almost a decade at Marvel imo.

But there's sometimes glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Daredevil in his own book is one example, and Spider-Man in this issue is another.

This looked, sounded like and most importantly, felt like Spider-Man.

Too bad that didn't happen with the rest of the characters in this issue...

When did Colossus become a sped?

Eight days and Cydick didn't fix Wakanda himself?

"No one's seen Black Panther since the fall of Wakanda" (which was 8 days ago). So where is he? Oh, there he is, easily found in Wakanda, and then there he is next to Cap, the very person who was told that the Panther couldn't be found. Huh? :smt017

And where the hell is Reed Richards in all of this. That he hasn't been invited into this 'event' is a joke. World wide (beyond) alpha class forces that essentially have taken over the world and not a whisper of the guy that a 1st grader would know to call for.

And as much as I find the guy boring, where the hell is Doom? Phoenix Force energy is just the kind of thing Vic would love to grab. And for that matter, where are all the villains. It's their world too.

Emma goes after an off the map guy who may or may not have known he struck a person and kills him, yet people who have openly killed mutants (Marauders, the Upstarts, Stryker, Nefaria, Wolverine, etc) remain untouched by her new wraith? Weird.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:14 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Agree. Spider-Man came off victorious in one of his most heroic moments after being beaten within an inch of his life and still managing to prevail. And Aaron portrayed the whole thing beautifully.

And for once we got a cover that accurately portrayed an actual scene from inside the book :lol:

While that was great, for me, the moment was when he made it possible for the rest of the Avengers to escape. The "I got this" moment. It was especially great after his line earlier to Hope...

"You learn to follow the guys who always seem to know where they're headed. And you wait for your moment.

Doesn't matter how many gods or super-soldiers or hulks they got on the pauyroll. Once you're an Avenger, it never fails... Sooner or later the time comes when it's YOUR turn to step up to the plate. You just gotta make sure you're ready."

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:26 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
While that was great, for me, the moment was when he made it possible for the rest of the Avengers to escape. The "I got this" moment. It was especially great after his line earlier to Hope...

"You learn to follow the guys who always seem to know where they're headed. And you wait for your moment.

Doesn't matter how many gods or super-soldiers or hulks they got on the pauyroll. Once you're an Avenger, it never fails... Sooner or later the time comes when it's YOUR turn to step up to the plate. You just gotta make sure you're ready."

that speech he made to hope was perfect Spidey. It was just a fantastic way of tying in his entire history as an Avenger. The fact that he has constantly been underused and taken as a joke for Bendis' entire run just made it so much more poignant. It was just a perfect use of continuity and really rewarded long time readers.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Holland Oats wrote:

Yep, tied everything together by living up to his previous words better than any other character in this mini. Anyone that still thinks Spider-Man shouldn't be an Avenger based on how he was mainly used as comic relief with Bendis was massively proven wrong as this showed when used properly he doesn't only belong but deserves to stand out as one of the top characters in Marvel's top team just like he does as a solo character.

Just hope this opportunity isn't squandered. There's no other way to sum it up other than 'Jason Aaron gets Spider-Man like no other writer has in decades'.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Holland Oats wrote:This issue had one of my favorite Spidey moments ever.

EVER.

This.

Spider-Man doesn't quit. Ever. This moment illustrated that fact perfectly. Here he was, outclassed by two insanely powerful beings and all he could think about was distracting them long enough to give his friends enough time to escape. We all knew that Marvel wouldn't kill Spidey off but there was a moment where you were actually concerned that it might happen.
ImageImageImage

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Amoebas wrote:Anyone who knows me here, knows I'm not a fan of Marvel's direction these last 8-9 years of a writer having a story that they force the characters into. To me characters are always more important than the story and that been lacking for almost a decade at Marvel imo.

But there's sometimes glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Daredevil in his own book is one example, and Spider-Man in this issue is another.

This looked, sounded like and most importantly, felt like Spider-Man.

Too bad that didn't happen with the rest of the characters in this issue...

When did Colossus become a sped?

Eight days and Cydick didn't fix Wakanda himself?

"No one's seen Black Panther since the fall of Wakanda" (which was 8 days ago). So where is he? Oh, there he is, easily found in Wakanda, and then there he is next to Cap, the very person who was told that the Panther couldn't be found. Huh? :smt017

And where the hell is Reed Richards in all of this. That he hasn't been invited into this 'event' is a joke. World wide (beyond) alpha class forces that essentially have taken over the world and not a whisper of the guy that a 1st grader would know to call for.

And as much as I find the guy boring, where the hell is Doom? Phoenix Force energy is just the kind of thing Vic would love to grab. And for that matter, where are all the villains. It's their world too.

Emma goes after an off the map guy who may or may not have known he struck a person and kills him, yet people who have openly killed mutants (Marauders, the Upstarts, Stryker, Nefaria, Wolverine, etc) remain untouched by her new wraith? Weird.

Exactly what I have been saying earlier on various AVX threads. There are a lot of things that should have happened common-sense wise but logic took a backseat for the most part. This event felt more like a videogame than a comic-book-althought if they made a game out of this, I would be interested in buying it.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:49 pm

e_galston wrote:
its foreshadowing...

Yeah, I figure that this is leading to Emma going out of control and being set up for everyone else to stop her.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand