Advertisement

Batman '66 #7 (Core competencies Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Batman '66 #7 (Core competencies Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Yet more hilarity and fun from the glorious world of 1966. With the news that the TV show is finally coming out on DVD, we are experiencing a full on Batman ’66 renaissance, and this comic is probably the best part of it. There are two stories here, and both are excellent.

The first, from Jeff Parker and Christopher Jones, sees Batman and Robin going up against a villain I’m not familiar with in False-Face, who is a master of disguise. False-Face pretends to be Bruce Wayne to sell fake jewellery, and he then pretends to be the museum curator in order to steal that Gem Catwoman was after a few issues ago (This book’s approach to continuity is minimal and subtle, but it works so well). This all culminates in a battle between False-Face and the Dynamic Duo at perhaps the most famous faces in America, Mount Rushmore. I loved this idea, because you can tell it’s the kind of thing the TV show would have loved to do, but just didn’t have the budget. That’s the best thing about comics the only constraints are the creator’s imaginations.

The second story, from Tom Peyer and Derec Donovan does feature Batman and Robin, but is actually more about The Joker, as, after watching the business news, he decides to downsize his crew to only 1 henchman, which has predictable results. I loved the social commentary aspect of this, and having the Joker follow market trends is just such a funny idea.

I know I haven’t gone into much detail here, but I don’t think I need to, the plots here are fairly simple, the pleasure comes in the little jokes and moments of absurdity. If you’re not reading this title, you really should be, it’s just 30 pages of pure fun, and if the other Batman titles are way too grim for you, this is the perfect medicine.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Batman '66 #7 (Core competencies Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm not all that familiar with False face either. I looked him up and found out that he's a minor Batman villain who only appeared a few times in the comics. I thought he was a character created for the 60s TV series.

As far the two stories, I enjoyed both, but I liked the second story more than the first. I loved the way Joker's idea of downsizing bit him in the but in the end.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand