Friday, November 24, 2017 • Evening Edition • "Guest-starring Wolverine's cold, dead corpse!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Batman & Robin #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:40 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I think the problem with this book is that it's such a polarizing team and such a polarizing storyline.

I didn't particularly like Morrison's entire Batman run and the last three issues and Final Crisis were just horrible. So I didn't pick this up, but I was interested in the reviews to see if maybe I should get it next week.

The problem is that the Morrison and Quietly fans think it's the greatest thing ever and are comparing it to the start of their X-Men run. Quietly's art is OK, but the fans think it's the best ever and the haters think it's the worst ever. Morrison's writing is praised by his fans no matter how awful it is, but it's also hated on by the haters no matter how good it is.

It's difficult to cut out the hyperbole and get to the root of the issue, but so far it sounds like more of the same from his previous run, but with a different artist. That doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy.

And that page that Bubba posted with the stuff coming up, well that looks pretty bad. Especially since the end of RIP was supposed to be the ending, but apparently no one died in the explosion which makes it even more pointless. And that Red Hood is just horrible looking.



Yeah I really don't see what the big thing is with Quietly. His art is descent not the greatest. His stuff in ASS was much better. That's gonna be the big problem with so many Bat books unbound some books are gonna hurt. Honestly, I rather see Dini or Rucka's stuff then take a venture with Morrison and Winick.
User avatar

nolanjwerner

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby nolanjwerner » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 pm

Zechs wrote:Yeah I really don't see what the big thing is with Quietly. His art is descent not the greatest. His stuff in ASS was much better. That's gonna be the big problem with so many Bat books unbound some books are gonna hurt. Honestly, I rather see Dini or Rucka's stuff then take a venture with Morrison and Winick.


Quitely is one of the best artists in comics right now.

Every line on his art does something great and his storytelling is leaps and bounds ahead of almost anyone else.
User avatar

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:57 pm

MistaT73 wrote:[spoiler]Spoiler, maybe[/spoiler]


she's gonna be a part of batgirl..
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:14 pm

nolanjwerner wrote:Quitely is one of the best artists in comics right now.

Every line on his art does something great and his storytelling is leaps and bounds ahead of almost anyone else.
How?
User avatar

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:18 pm

nolanjwerner wrote:Every line on his art does something great


If great is making everything look like oatmeal, then yes.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:51 am

someone told me that morrison will only be on this for 3 issues, any truth to that?
User avatar

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:55 am

Vic Mackey wrote:someone told me that morrison will only be on this for 3 issues, any truth to that?


its quietly that's only gonna be on for three issues, not morrison..
User avatar

nolanjwerner

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby nolanjwerner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:31 am

e_galston wrote:its quietly that's only gonna be on for three issues, not morrison..


Quitely will be drawing 1-3 and 10-12.

Phiiip Tan will draw 4-6 and someone yet to be named will draw 7-9.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:29 am

nolanjwerner wrote:Quitely will be drawing 1-3 and 10-12.

Phiiip Tan will draw 4-6 and someone yet to be named will draw 7-9.

I swear I heard Mahnke
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:39 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:I think the problem with this book is that it's such a polarizing team and such a polarizing storyline.

I didn't particularly like Morrison's entire Batman run and the last three issues and Final Crisis were just horrible. So I didn't pick this up, but I was interested in the reviews to see if maybe I should get it next week.

The problem is that the Morrison and Quietly fans think it's the greatest thing ever and are comparing it to the start of their X-Men run. Quietly's art is OK, but the fans think it's the best ever and the haters think it's the worst ever. Morrison's writing is praised by his fans no matter how awful it is, but it's also hated on by the haters no matter how good it is.

It's difficult to cut out the hyperbole and get to the root of the issue, but so far it sounds like more of the same from his previous run, but with a different artist. That doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy.

And that page that Bubba posted with the stuff coming up, well that looks pretty bad. Especially since the end of RIP was supposed to be the ending, but apparently no one died in the explosion which makes it even more pointless. And that Red Hood is just horrible looking.

there are plenty of us who are talking about what a mess FC and RIP were that are loving this one and not even mentioning New X-Men.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:43 am

Zechs wrote:Yeah I really don't see what the big thing is with Quietly. His art is descent not the greatest. His stuff in ASS was much better. That's gonna be the big problem with so many Bat books unbound some books are gonna hurt. Honestly, I rather see Dini or Rucka's stuff then take a venture with Morrison and Winick.

He's the best storyteller in comics art currently. I mean in this issue alone he single handedly picks up the pace of the book, making it seem like the book is only about ten pages long, but you know it is longer.

Yes he draws some squiggly faces. Yes the superheroes are all running around in fannel pjs instead of spandex, but no one working has a better synthesis of layout and comprehensible story.

There are artists like Cassaday who are amazing at character design and storytelling, but not so much on interesting layout.

The only artist currently working that is probably a better all the round artist and therefore a better artist in general is JH Williams, he is just insane though.

I don't really get the rabid insane man crushes on Quitely, but I get why people dig him.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], TheLurker and 49 guests