Advertisement

Batman #23.1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Batman #23.1

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 pm

So are there any actual continuing stories being told this month in DC comics other than Forever Evil which was a piece of shit?

I liked the Jackanapes origin from Morrisons #666 but this issue was terrible, I feel bad I wasted bandwidth on it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Batman #23.1

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:45 am

This was an odd one. With the Joker missing and presumed dead in the DCU, as well as not having a face, what we get for the most famous villain in all of comics is a strange, disconnected story that’s not much to do with anything and perhaps even breaks one of cardinal rules of Joker stories. You don’t definitively reveal his back-story.

This issue is full of flashbacks to the Joker’s sad childhood, and I just don’t want to see stuff like that, the Joker should be a mysterious force of nature, not some pat abused child psycho. If only Kubert had revealed that those flashbacks may not have been true. It was interesting to read a comic that was written, not drawn by Andy Kubert, and I thought he did a good job to be fair, apart from the mis-step of those flashbacks.

The main story, where the Joker raises a chimpanzee as his son, Jackanapes, was the kind of crazy weirdness I love from that character, and it was a lot of fun to see the Joker running around with a chimp in a clown costume. The artwork from Andy Clarke was also excellent, I love his style. Jackanapes was awfully cute, and the Joker looked like the classic Joker we all know and love. I must say I don’t really like the current faceless incarnation, it’s too much.

So yeah, if you want to read a story about the Joker and his simian son, check this book out. If you’re looking for anything more than that, then sorry. The Joker is a fascinating character, and as I said, he’s probably DC’s most famous villain, this book should be more than just ape-based fun, even if I always enjoy apes in comics. I suppose with Snyder keeping Joker off the board, this is to be expected, but I do feel this is a missed opportunity.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:29 am

The serial killer had a crappy childhood is a plot point that needs to be taken behind the shed and shot

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:58 am

ok I just read the book I got a few questions
1. When does this story happen ? Joker is sans face and possibly (but not really) dead right now
2. When did Andy Kubert start drawing like Leienl you ? (it's not bad but his style has really changed)
if this is what the rest of these "villain month" books are like I'll pass,I don't know what it is and maybe it's just me but the new (now old) 52 stuff just seems really flat and soulless

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:06 pm

eltopo wrote:The serial killer had a crappy childhood is a plot point that needs to be taken behind the shed and shot

It's fake. It's just the Joker using it to string us along. Why you ask? The abusive Aunt was Olive Oil from Popeye.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 482 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:12 pm

eltopo wrote:1. When does this story happen ? Joker is sans face and possibly (but not really) dead right now

I haven't read it yet but the CBR preview says it's a flash-back. Most of the Villain issues are flash-backs that are then tied to what's happening now in the DCU.

The Joker has FOREVER been the face of EVIL in the DC Universe…but what led him on this devious path of treachery? Andy Kubert pens this early adventure showcasing the maniacal exploits of the Crown Prince of Gotham—The JOKER!
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Zechs wrote:
It's fake. It's just the Joker using it to string us along. Why you ask? The abusive Aunt was Olive Oil from Popeye.

meh
still lame

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:24 am

This was dumb.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand