Advertisement

Batman '66 #5 (The Great Madame Kugar Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Batman '66 #5 (The Great Madame Kugar Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:23 am

Another hugely enjoyable issue of Batman ’66. I don’t really know what to say about this title, other than it is gloriously entertaining, funny and clever. Just read it already!

There are two stories in this issue, the first stars Batman and Robin taking on The Sandman, and whilst I wish it was Neil Gaiman’s Morpheus, instead it’s a wacky criminal who sends people to sleep with a special powder, and manipulates their dreams to give him information, as well as robbing them. Sandman’s plan is to steal a fire truck, use it to put the whole city to sleep, steal a ton of loot, and then hide it in the Batcave, which is the most secretive place in the city. It’s a silly plan, but come on, this is Batman ’66. To do this, he tries to pry the location outside of Batman’s mind, but of course, he fails. It was great seeing Batman fight inside of the dream world, and how once he discovered where he was, he was immediately in control.

However, my favourite moment in this story was a small one. After spending the whole night searching for the Sandman and coming up empty, Batman and Robin are tired, so they head to a coffee shop. First of all, the image of the Dynamic Duo inside a Starbucks is hilarious, but this line of dialogue from Batman; ‘I usually decry the use of stimulants, but caffeine will aid us today’ had me rolling. Man, Jeff Parker is a funny motherfucker, and as always, it’s not the easy joke to be made about this version of Batman. This is still never a parody. Sandy Jarrell once again provides the art, and he does a great job.

The second, shorter story, was drawn by the always awesome Colleen Coover, and focuses not on Batman and Robin, but on Batgirl. I’m not a huge fan of the extended Bat-Family in general, but I like it a bit more in this setting, where Batman is not nearly as much of a purported loner psycho, so him having loads of associates actually makes sense. This is a very simple story, with Batgirl stopping Catwoman from stealing a rare gem from a museum, but it’s wonderfully drawn.

The most interesting thing here was that this story used the Earth Kitt version of Catwoman, whereas previous issues of this title used Julie Newmar. Are we supposed to think it’s the same person? What’s the deal? I don’t suppose it matters, as it just adds to the crazy tone, and it’s cool that the comic is reflecting the show, but still, it’s odd.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 446 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Batman '66 #5 (The Great Madame Kugar Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:38 pm

It's interesting that Parker is using some minor characters from the 60s TV series. The Sandman only appeared in one story in that series. I enjoyed the main story, but I think I liked the back up story with Batgirl more.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand