Advertisement

Battle of the atom #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Re: Battle of the atom #2

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 am

It’s the final chapter of one of the best X-Men events of recent years, and I have to say… it was a bit of a let-down. Most of this issue was just one big fight, and after all of this mess, it doesn’t seem like that much has really changed for the X-Men. I mean, none of the present-day characters even died! What is an X-Men crossover for if not to randomly kill people off?

That said, the big fight that we did get was pretty good, especially because Esad Ribic was drawing it. I was surprised to see him involved in this type of story, but it really worked, and man, that splash-page of the Sentinels was amazing. Because yes, this issue involved Sentinels. It turns out that the missiles SHIELD were firing on the X-Men weren’t just ordinary missiles, nope, some of them were Sentinels. This raises a lot of cool, interesting stuff for the future, how can the X-Men trust SHIELD now? Will Wolverine carry on as an Avenger? I’m excited to see that plot play out.

In the course of the battle, a couple of Future dudes die, including Beast, Jubilee, Colossus and Xavier. This of course drives Xorn-Jean even crazier, and she rounds on the two characters most closely linked to her, Cyclops and Wolverine. She blames them and their arguments for the terrible future, and that fight is probably the highlight of the issue, there was so much emotion behind it. In the end, it’s up to the original X-Men to defeat Jean, and they do so, but it’s a shame that Ribic couldn’t draw these last few pages of main story. Camuncoli is good, but you could tell he was rushed here. Jean-Xorn explodes, allowing the Brotherhood to escape.

And that’s the end really, there are a few epilogues, where we see the rest of the future X-Men head back to the future (minus Storm and Black Panther’s daughter, Kymera, who is staying in the present to hunt the remaining Brotherhood members) and Ice-Master gives a little tease that Nightcrawler is coming back soon. Despite Xorn-Jean’s arguments, Cyclops and Wolverine don’t patch up their differences, and Wolverine tells Cyclops to leave SHIELD to him. We also see Jubilee bond with Adult Shogo, which was a pretty nice scene, and then, at the end, something big finally happens, as Bendis and Immonen have Kitty Pryde and the Original 5 X-Men defect from Wolverine’s side to Cyclops’. Oh man, that was actually pretty cool. I think that moment is the only thing spinning out of this crossover that has me excited. I suppose the possibility of the Future Brotherhood still being around is cool, but really, I’m more interested in the characters we know, and the ongoing ideological war between Wolverine and Cyclops. This looks like being the next big step.

So yes, whilst this was a bit of a damp squib of a finale, this has been a fantastic event, and the future still looks bright for the X-Men. This group of books hasn’t been this good since the 80s!

Advertisement

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:03 am

Punchy wrote:In the course of the battle, a couple of Future dudes die, including Beast, Jubilee, Colossus and Xavier.

Minor quibble: Xavier is never shown to have explicitly died and Kymera's dialogue in the first and second epilogue seems to indicate that none of them believe him to be dead either.

Also, I just wanted to take an extra moment to gush about the fight between Bat-Shit-Crazy-Jean and Phoenix-Powered Quentin. Was that not awesome, or what?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:16 am

Flynn the Pirate wrote:
Minor quibble: Xavier is never shown to have explicitly died and Kymera's dialogue in the first and second epilogue seems to indicate that none of them believe him to be dead either.

Also, I just wanted to take an extra moment to gush about the fight between Bat-Shit-Crazy-Jean and Phoenix-Powered Quentin. Was that not awesome, or what?

Yeah Xaiver jr jr is still very much in play with Raze, anyone else? Did Molly even appear in this issue?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
Yeah Xaiver jr jr is still very much in play with Raze, anyone else? Did Molly even appear in this issue?

After a quick perfunctory glance through the last two issues to make sure, the last we see of her is in Wolverine and the X-Men #37, when Rogue socks her in the face. The assumption, then, should be that she is probably still kicking somewhere.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm pretty certain that Kimera will be in X-Men not Uncanny X-Force since that prologue was written by Brian Wood, and each prologue was written by the writers of the books the prologue would lead into... Brian Wood writes X-men, and since the second part of that prologue dealt with Jubilee its a safe bet its X-Men. Prologue one goes into Wolverine and the X-Men (written by Aaron and we know due to the solicits that that book is gonna involve SHIELD in the coming months), prologue 2 goes into X-men (written by Wood deals with his characters), prologue 3 is written by Aaron again and will likely lead into Amazing (as bearded Iceman tells them to look after the bamfs) and the final one leads into both All New and Uncanny since its written by Bendis...

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:24 pm

Well, Wolverine has another kid of his that needs a-killin'...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Hands down, my favorite part of this issue was the moment where Kitty Pryde and the orginal 5 X-Men leave to go with Scott and his X-Men back to the new Xavier School, especially after Wolverine got on his high horse earlier in the issue. Priceless. 8)

john lewis hawk wrote:Well, Wolverine has another kid of his that needs a-killin'...

It's pretty much the only reason he exists anymore.
ImageImageImage

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Grayson wrote:Hands down, my favorite part of this issue was the moment where Kitty Pryde and the orginal 5 X-Men leave to go with Scott and his X-Men back to the new Xavier School, especially after Wolverine got on his high horse earlier in the issue. Priceless. 8)

It's pretty much the only reason he exists anymore.

i dunno..."She was never YOUR Jean" was pretty fucking glorious.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:14 pm

chap22 wrote:i dunno..."She was never YOUR Jean" was pretty fucking glorious.

Agreed but they have had that battle for so many years now that I am pretty sure Wolverine has developed some type of brain callus to it. He simply ignores the fact that he was never in an actual relationship with her in a creepy stalker sort of way.

There was just something about the original five X-Men willingly joining Scott after everything that have seen, that was particularly satisfying to me.
ImageImageImage

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Oh man, this was fucking awesome. Just for the last scene, it was awesome.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:15 pm

I especially enjoyed that Kitty, the best X-Men POV character, sided with Cyclops at the end. And I liked how in Jason Aaron's epilogue, Wolverine refuses to acknowledge any of the points Cyclops makes while arguing with him. Wolverine is like the Herald of mutants. "You killed Professor X, bub!" "You killed thousands of people." "Whatever, bub!" Jason Aaron is the worst.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:15 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Well, Wolverine has another kid of his that needs a-killin'...

Logan and Thanos should go out drinking sometime.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:21 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I especially enjoyed that Kitty, the best X-Men POV character, sided with Cyclops at the end. And I liked how in Jason Aaron's epilogue, Wolverine refuses to acknowledge any of the points Cyclops makes while arguing with him. Wolverine is like the Herald of mutants. "You killed Professor X, bub!" "You killed thousands of people." "Whatever, bub!"

Wolverine has become so used to being the Moral Compass for the rest of the Marvel Universe, he isn't used to somebody else throwing his faults in his face. Just like when Scott brings up the fact that Jean Grey was never in an actual relationship with Wolverine, Wolverine blissfully ignores the truth in order to substitute his own reality.

Wolverine is the worst.

Fixed! 8)
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:08 pm

I only read Battle of the Atom #1.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:18 pm

I wish Kitty and the originals would have gone their own way.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand