Advertisement

Batwoman and Morrison's Great Ten

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Well, are ya?

Batwoman
No votes
Great Ten
25%
Both
38%
Neither
25%
They're both a ploy at tokenism, nothing more
13%

Total votes : 8

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

Postby L Independant » Wed May 31, 2006 3:04 pm

kingbobb wrote:
Well, that sounds...odd. Where does Martian Manhunter go?

Does DC really think there's going to be interest in reading about a team of Chinese superheroes that operate in China?

One thing I didn't like where their names. It's like reading a bad translation of a Chinese menu. They took the most literal translations and just put them on the page. The same thing happens to Japanese. There's a commercial that gets played on some of the talk radio I listen to (ESPN, mostly)...or maybe it's an infomercial, for a product called Super Prostate Formula. I can't really remember what it does, because every time it comes on, all I can think of is that it sounds like some product advertised in Japan, but with bad English translation. Like Super Giant Robo Hunter...that's what the literal translation would be, but a better translation might be Mecha Hunter, or Mecha Ranger, which contains the same concepts as the literal translation, but doesn't evoke the clumsiness of a poor translation.

Then again, a good writer can make even lame characters interesting. I'll see what people think of it when it comes out.

But I probably still won't get it, unless it's really amazing. Budget and all. Vicki seriously suggested we only get comics that she also reads, and that's really not a bad thing. Otherwise, I'd probably be spending more than we should on comics.
But what if you add Xavy to that mix...think of the kid, man...he needs to learn how to read!? He needs lots of reading material! Stock up weekly!

Advertisement

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Wed May 31, 2006 3:15 pm

woznia17 wrote:But what if you add Xavy to that mix...think of the kid, man...he needs to learn how to read!? He needs lots of reading material! Stock up weekly!

I already tried that. It's hard to make that fly when I've already got enough comics to last him for at least 6 years.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Wed May 31, 2006 3:21 pm

kingbobb wrote:
I already tried that. It's hard to make that fly when I've already got enough comics to last him for at least 6 years.
Heh. I'll let you know what I think of Morrison's Ten. As for Batwoman, I'm waiting to see who writes it, and for a review or two. But as of now, I'm kinda pissed that they killed Batgirl in exchange for this.

trachman
Wishes he was as cool as Lord Simian

Postby trachman » Wed May 31, 2006 3:56 pm

woznia17 wrote:Heh. I'll let you know what I think of Morrison's Ten. As for Batwoman, I'm waiting to see who writes it, and for a review or two. But as of now, I'm kinda pissed that they killed Batgirl in exchange for this.
Cass isn't dead, but just :smt119 crazy.

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Wed May 31, 2006 4:01 pm

trachman wrote:Cass isn't dead, but just :smt119 crazy.

That's not much better. I stopped getting Batman just as Cass came around. Seeing what she turned into was very interesting. A more different from Babs I don't think they could have done. But the direction she's taken over in Robin just seems unoriginal. One of the points about Tim that I liked best about Tim was that he wasn't very much like Bruce. Sure, his parents here both killed, but he didn't freak out and decide to get revenge by becoming Robin. He was Robin before anything happened to his parents. When Bruce tells him that he essentially could be better than Bruce and Dick, I think he means it. Because Tim is Robin because he wants to be, not because that's what he is.

Anyway, this was supposed to be about something else, but I've forgotten what. The jump to 9 hour work days must be making my fragile mind mushy.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Wed May 31, 2006 4:12 pm

kingbobb wrote:
That's not much better. I stopped getting Batman just as Cass came around. Seeing what she turned into was very interesting. A more different from Babs I don't think they could have done. But the direction she's taken over in Robin just seems unoriginal. One of the points about Tim that I liked best about Tim was that he wasn't very much like Bruce. Sure, his parents here both killed, but he didn't freak out and decide to get revenge by becoming Robin. He was Robin before anything happened to his parents. When Bruce tells him that he essentially could be better than Bruce and Dick, I think he means it. Because Tim is Robin because he wants to be, not because that's what he is.

Anyway, this was supposed to be about something else, but I've forgotten what. The jump to 9 hour work days must be making my fragile mind mushy.
I like Cass because she was once character in the Bat-Family driven by guilt. And that she took the higher road, too. Maybe it's the Catholic upbringing, but I love redemption stories.

trachman

Postby trachman » Wed May 31, 2006 8:02 pm

kingbobb wrote:

Well, Cass was dumped in the Lazardus pit by Shiva. Cass could still come around. Its only temporary insanity.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:50 am

trachman wrote:Well, Cass was dumped in the Lazardus pit by Shiva. Cass could still come around. Its only temporary insanity.

That lasted a year?

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:53 am

So the preview shots on Newsarama show Batwoman using some pretty hi-tech stuff, including a Batarang. And while it's not like Batman's going to go after her for copyright or TM infringment, where's she getting her gadgets from? Is Bruce supposed to just sponsor her, an unknown, to supplement Harvey during his absence? Because things worked out so well the last time he appointed as a temporary replacement an unknown quantity.

It all just leaves me confused.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:25 am

She's rich, isn't she?

I think I read that she's a rich-ass lesbian.
SHABBA!

trachman

Postby trachman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:50 am

nietoperz wrote:
That lasted a year?
Yeah, and Cass is running the League Of Assassins.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:51 am

trachman wrote:Yeah, and Cass is running the League Of Assassins.
Wait, where is this all happening? Who's writing it? Is it any good?

trachman

Postby trachman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:56 am

woznia17 wrote:Wait, where is this all happening? Who's writing it? Is it any good?
Its happening in Robin. Adam Beechen is writing it. Its like the best Robin I've read.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:05 am

trachman wrote:Its happening in Robin. Adam Beechen is writing it. Its like the best Robin I've read.
That's not saying much;). But it's good?

trachman

Postby trachman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:20 am

woznia17 wrote:That's not saying much;). But it's good?
Yes, its good.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand