Advertisement

Beasts of Burden headed to the big screen--maybe.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Beasts of Burden headed to the big screen--maybe.

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:25 pm

From the Hollywood Reporter today:

Dark Horse comic Beasts of Burden is heading to the big-screen with Shrek and Chronicles of Narnia director Andrew Adamson leading the charge.
Adamson is producing what is intended to be a CG-animated feature adaptation with his Strange Weather Films partner Aron Warner along with Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment.
Burden is being made by Reel FX, the company run by former Industrial Light and Magic senior executive Ed Jones and former Walden Media CEO Cary Granat, and that specializes in CG as well as live-action hybrid projects.
Burden is set in a community called Burden Hill where a series of supernatural events occur, causing a gang of dogs (and one cat) to team up in order to keep their owners and the town’s residents safe.
Evan Dorkin (Milk & Cheese) and Jill Thompson (Scary Godmother) created the characters, which first appeared in The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings, Witchcraft, the Dead and Monsters, and earned the duo Eisner Awards for best short story and best painter.
Dark Horse Entertainment’s Keith Goldberg is executive producing with Strange Weather’s Jeff Fierson co-producing. Reel FX’s head of feature development Jared Mass will oversee the project for the studio.
Burden is seen as a return to the animation world for Adamson and Warner, who directed and produced several of DreamWorks’ successful Shrek movies before moving into the world of The Chronicles of Narnia film adaptations.
Dark Horse is teeing up RIPD, to star Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges, at Universal, where it is also developing big-screen adaptations of Emily the Strange and Umbrella Academy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... rse-200858

But followers of writer Evan Dorkin's twitter page got a measured response from Evan himself:

Okay, quickly - 1) Had no idea the Beasts of Burden deal was getting announced today

2) Congrats/thx Team BofB @thejillthompson @scottallie Sierra Hahn, Freddye Lins, Daniel Chabon, Mike Richardson and @DarkHorseComics

3) Thx to Jason Arthur of Team BofB, thx to the faithful readers & the supportive retailers/booksellers & huge thx to Sarah aka @colorkitten

4) There is no guarantee a Beasts of Burden film will actually get made. Even keel, folks. Let's believe it when we see it.

5) The movie, if made, obviously won't be the book. So, hey -- why not buy the book? See what the supposed big deal is: http://t.co/QE5Y0JC

6) This changes nothing: We still want to make more Beasts of Burden comics & finish our story, whatever happens. Because it's our comic.

7) This changes nothing part II: I gotta walk to the garage and pick up our beat-up old car after getting the AC fixed.

To sum up: Later, skaters. Thanks for the well-wishes and all. We'll see what there is to see. In the meantime, back to work.

That's no way to sell out, Evan!

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Re: Beasts of Burden headed to the big screen--maybe.

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Friends are tweeting to Evan to just enjoy some good news for once in his life, not everything gets optioned for Hollywood.

To which Evan replied:

They option tweets. Gum card sets. Sentences. The only way to look at this is to laugh and try to forget about it.

:lol:

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:59 pm

I would love to see this happen!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I would love to see this happen!

Me too! :D

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Loved Beasts of Burden. It is a really cool book.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand