Saturday, April 21, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Be glad we're not indoors."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Black Adam As Villain or Grey Area Character?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 am

A version of Black Adam appeared in the latest issue of Bombshells United. This version was an out and out villain, and to me, stood out in contrast to the more complicated shades of grey character he had become in other series. I personally say that I prefer the greyish version to any of the more villainous versions I've read.

What do the rest of you think? Do you agree or disagree with me?

Bianco

phrase IV

Postby Bianco » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:13 am

Stephen Day wrote:A version of Black Adam appeared in the latest issue of Bombshells United. This version was an out and out villain, and to me, stood out in contrast to the more complicated shades of grey character he had become in other series. I personally say that I prefer the greyish version to any of the more villainous versions I've read.

What do the rest of you think? Do you agree or disagree with me?

Villain, I hate when these companies try to heroize every popular villain.

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:19 am

Grey area character. It makes him more complex and interesting. I mean, how many times has Dr. Octopus tried the same thing for the same, lame reason?

I always liked how they portrayed Magneto in the original Secret Wars. The Beyonder had two constructs carrying the heroes and villains to his Battleworld. Heroes in one, villains in the other. The Beyonder had placed Magneto with the heroes.

DJ Convoy

cheese

Postby DJ Convoy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:13 am

Black Adam as the JSA's kind of Namor / Vegeta guy was infinitely more interesting to me than any depiction of him up to that point. I was less enamored when he became the ruler of Kahndac, with his own Marvel Family, and even less so when that was all stripped away.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:09 pm

TheLurker wrote:I always liked how they portrayed Magneto in the original Secret Wars. The Beyonder had two constructs carrying the heroes and villains to his Battleworld. Heroes in one, villains in the other. The Beyonder had placed Magneto with the heroes.
I don't mind that as much as I do with having Galactus grouped with the villains. :smt011

And I too like my Black Adam more Grey Adam. I just think that understanding a charactors motivations usually lends itself to better storytelling.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 pm

DJ Convoy wrote:Black Adam as the JSA's kind of Namor / Vegeta guy was infinitely more interesting to me than any depiction of him up to that point. I was less enamored when he became the ruler of Kahndac, with his own Marvel Family, and even less so when that was all stripped away.

I agree, when the character entered that period of its history he became less his own thing and more of a knock off of other characters.

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:47 pm

My instinct was to say Black, but like the Riddler, his good guy phase worked a lot better than it had any right to. As usual, it depends upon the storytelling.

/copout

Spacedog

Great Scott!!!

Postby Spacedog » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Personally, I think the "tragic anti-hero" aspect of Black Adam is a bit overplayed. I'm still unsure if a Black Adam solo movie is really a good idea - the "bad guy turn good" cliche.

I miss Black Adam as a villain who just deserves to get punched in the face.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm

LoganRSA wrote:My instinct was to say Black, but like the Riddler, his good guy phase worked a lot better than it had any right to. As usual, it depends upon the storytelling.

/copout

Spacedog wrote:Personally, I think the "tragic anti-hero" aspect of Black Adam is a bit overplayed. I'm still unsure if a Black Adam solo movie is really a good idea - the "bad guy turn good" cliche.

I miss Black Adam as a villain who just deserves to get punched in the face.

I actually agree with both these takes.

Johnny Smith

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:35 pm

I liked him better as the "World's Mightiest Villain"

Bianco

phrase IV

Postby Bianco » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:I liked him better as the "World's Mightiest Villain"

The haircut alone made him a great villain

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:51 am

Either way, he has one of my favorite costumes ever.

Exaggerated here by Alex Ross.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:56 am

He should be thought of as a villain to most (aka Americans) But, considered of as a hero to those from the area he comes from.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:59 pm

uhm. His name is Black Adam.

:P

I don't know the character that well. Read him mostly from the period that he was Black Adam with a lightning bolt of gold. While I do like a villain turning good story, I don't like when they skirt back and forth too much. Pick a side! Characters like Magneto might be the exception for me, but even that can get weary at time, and in the "mainstream" universes should only be assigned to a few characters. imo of course.

achilles

Silly French Man

Postby achilles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:54 pm

/He just doesn't work as a heroic character IMO.

He's just a straight out anti-hero. A killer of anyone who meets his list....

leave a comment with facebook