Advertisement

Black Science #3 Review: Sliders on crack

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 281 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Hilfe!

This month we have issue # 3 of Rick Remender’s new hit comic Black Science gracing the shelves in all its immensity. We’re still sinking neck deep into the ever-swallowing sarlac pit of action and dimensional travel as portrayed from the very first issue, and every issue I look forward to being consumed in it up to my eyes.

This issue picks up like all the others and delves back and forth between the finite moments before the team was violently transported into the infinite of dimensions, space and time. We seem to get a lot more character development this issue, with the history of all the team members personal lives, and more of the main character and his ensuing infidelity. I was pleased to see real world problems given to these people that are seemingly thrust into unbelievable and unreal worlds where their problems don’t exist.

The team has been plagued with death and injury from the opening panel of the first issue, and now in the third they have been dropped into a war between these futuristic Native Americans and WWII Germans but with robots and advanced technology.

The goal is to revive the main character, Grant, before he dies, all while awaiting their next jump to who knows where. This concept has been extremely reminiscent of the 90’s TV show Sliders, but with a very welcome update that makes the concept seem fresh. The whole time you’re reading this comic, you can feel the sense of urgency of the team and actions in every panel. There isn’t a moment to relax, except in the flashback panels.

Theres a panel that had me cracking up because it reminded me of a hilarious scene in Wolf of Wall Street (havent seen it? DO IT!) Involving the German word for what I can only assume means "Help"

I loved the explanation of the alternate dimensions and the use of the many worlds theory, but I am a bit upset because I have this same concept in mind for a comic I’ve been writing for years. Alas, I am not Rick Remender…so he wins. Lucky bastard!

As with every good comic that wants to keep a reader enthralled with anticipation for the next issue, there is a cliffhanger. So until issue 4, we wont know what happens to the team. Will they die? Will they be transported somewhere else? Will a robotic dinosaur show up and save them all? Who knows! Only Remender knows and I look forward to seeing where this series goes. Its great to see such inventive new books being put out on a regular basis that have me excited to read them every month like this one.

The art is like a wistful painting in every panel. Matteo Scalera and Dean White do a fantastic job of making these wonderful visions of skewed realities come to life in a unique and triumphant way. Some of the character designs feel a little funky every now and then, especially the way the main character's nose is very elongated and reminds me of an anime character from Gundam Wing, but it's nothin that prevents me seeing these panels and splash pages and going “ohhh that’s pretty!”

All in all you can’t go wrong with this book. Do you like alternate realities? READ IT. Did you like the show Sliders? READ IT. Do you like robots killing Germans? READ IT. The bottom line,  read this comic and buy it.

Written or Contributed by Wildcard

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Black Science #3 Review: Sliders on crack

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Rick Remender and Matteo Scalera’s crazy sci-fi epic continues to be a fun read, and whilst I’m not loving it as much as I did Remender’s other new Image series Deadly Class (seriously, read Deadly Class, it is amazing), with each issue I am feeling it more and more. It makes sense that this is the case, as in #1, Remender pretty much dropped us in at the deep end, but in these subsequent issues he’s used flashbacks to flesh out the various characters and explain the back-story.

This issue uses flashbacks very well, as in the present-day we see Ward, Shawn and Kadir try and find a way to save Grant McKay from dying, and in the flashbacks we see what happened just before ‘The Pillar’ malfunctioned and set all of these crazy events into motion. The issue begins with Kadir on the phone to his mysterious boss, and telling him/her/it that McKay has failed, and that he’s going to pull the plug. We also see that he knows that Grant is cheating on his wife with Becca, as he watches them through a camera. The conversation between Grant and Becca was very well-written, and full of all sorts of soapy goodness, with Grant telling her he’s going to break it off with his wife later that night. Only of course he won’t have a chance. Grants kids show up, and we see him take them in to see The Pillar and explain what it is and sort of how it works. I think it was useful to see what Remender’s take on the multiverse, and having it be like an Onion is certainly novel. I also liked seeing more about his kids, especially his daughter, Pia, who pretty much hates him and knows he’s cheating on her mother. Chandra sees that the kids shouldn’t really be in the same room as the Pillar, and heads off to tell Kadir, who comes storming in to tell off McKay, which is precisely when the Pillar activates and sends everyone off into the ‘Eververse’.

The present-day story is pretty good too, and action-packed, as Ward (who narrates the scene, and gets a cool focus, he seems like a fascinating character) along with Kadir and Shawn see a Native American Shaman with some kind of magic healing device that could be used to save McKay. They knock him out, but before they can head home, they have to deal with a giant fucking robot. I liked the way they dealt with the robot, as Kadir stopped it by throwing a piece of debris into it’s vents. He may not be such a bad dude after all. The other ‘Dimensionauts’ have problems of their own however, as they have to keep their German prisoner captive and stop him from telling his fellow soldiers about their presence in this Universe. They do so, but only after having to kill him in a very dark scene. I’m loving the crazy invention and ideas Remender is putting into his alternate realities, but it only works when grounded in real characters, and now, some of the others are coming into focus. Of course, the flashbacks in this issue do raise one question, does Grant McKay really deserve to be saved? He’s pretty much a dick.

Matteo Scalera’s artwork was excellent once again, he and Dean White’s colours mesh really well, and the attention to detail here is second to none, he has to draw a whole war in the background, and it all looks great. This series is getting really interesting now, the ideas were always there, but now the most important thing, character is as well.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Black Science is a great example of Rick Remender when he is at his absolute best. It's another example of his balls to the wall approach to telling great sci-fi stories that aren't confined to the modern day conventional limitations that most other writer's apply to the genre. This series definitely has the potential to rate up there with Fear Agent and Uncanny X-Force as some of Remender's best work.
ImageImageImage

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby AngusH » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Scalera is smacking this one out of the park IMO. The story is slowly getting there, but right now the art is dominating the plot.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand