Advertisement

Blogger Throwdown: Fallout From DC Burbank Story Scorches Rich Johnston

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Blogger Throwdown: Fallout From DC Burbank Story Scorche

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:03 am

MrBlack wrote:Yes. This isn't going to affect upper management or the editorial teams (who will likely be given the opportunity to be relocated) or creators (who largely work from home). It's going to affect all the people who do the behind the scenes work that actually get comics out the door, and no one will care because these folks don't get their names on the front of a comic book every month.

I understand that this is a business decision, and it obviously wasn't reached lightly, but that doesn't make it any easier on those who are going to lose their jobs. At least the move isn't happening until 2015, so they have some time to look for new employment.

Granted I don't care if they moved next door to my house but, that's the fake/real outrage Ron Marz is dealing with. He may have friends in there that got him coffee and hand jobs every time he had to come in and pitch a Green Lantern story. So it's just kind of shitty that instead of finding out from your employer that you'll be losing your job you might have found out from Rich. At the same time though this is like being mad at a news network for breaking news that has yet to be confirmed.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:05 am

Two things

Ron Marz has a history full of angry tweets about him, whether you agree with him or not he would take any opportunity to trash BC.

I don't believe the impending announcement regarding the move was anything other than an open secret in the DC offices. I don't think most staffers really first got wind of it through the BC article.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Scantronman, _OM_ & cyclopsfan

Postby outsider » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:06 am

guitarsmashley wrote:So it's just kind of shitty that instead of finding out from your employer that you'll be losing your job you might have found out from Rich. At the same time though this is like being mad at a news network for breaking news that has yet to be confirmed.
If it wasn't Rich, it would have been another 'news' source. The company owed it to their employees to inform them about the change, not drag their asses and wait until an employee leaked the information.

Bad news sucks at any time, but if it's inevitable, I've always wanted it sooner rather than later. Piss on DC execs for not telling their employees sooner.
Last edited by outsider on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:07 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I don't believe the impending announcement regarding the move was anything other than an open secret in the DC offices. I don't think most staffers really first got wind of it through the BC article.
Exactly. A change this big *had* to already be part of the office's gossip chain.
-

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:19 am

outsider wrote:If it wasn't Rich, it would have been another 'news' source. The company owed it to their employees to inform them about the change, not drag their asses and wait until an employee leaked the information.

Bad news sucks at any time, but if it's inevitable, I've always wanted it sooner rather than later. Piss on DC execs for not telling their employees sooner.

And obviously some employees knew something. I don't know if you work in an office but you know what's going on before "official word" come through.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
And obviously some employees knew something. I don't know if you work in an office but you know what's going on before "official word" come through.
Hell, I even know about marital problems and other personal shit (that I don't ever EVER want to know... some things require brain bleaching. :smt103 )

The interwebz is upset because Rich scored a valid scoop. If Heidi/CBR and Newsarama had the info but opted to not share it, then they suck even more than Rich because the news should come before the oh-please-hire-me-next horseshit.

We all know Rich has little (okay, NO) motivation beyond self-service, but running the story did help the employees get official confirmation of the inevitable bad news sooner.
-

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 71 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:43 am

Coyle is spouting nothing but truth.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:54 am

outsider wrote:Hell, I even know about marital problems and other personal shit (that I don't ever EVER want to know... some things require brain bleaching. :smt103 )

The interwebz is upset because Rich scored a valid scoop. If Heidi/CBR and Newsarama had the info but opted to not share it, then they suck even more than Rich because the news should come before the oh-please-hire-me-next horseshit.

We all know Rich has little (okay, NO) motivation beyond self-service, but running the story did help the employees get official confirmation of the inevitable bad news sooner.

exactly. I'll never forget the time I overheard about grooming habits, first times and tearing in the span of 20 minutes. I threw up at my desk.

- Les Paul

Mr. Log
phrase IV

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: I'm starvin'!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:04 am

Bravo to DC for getting this stupid argument over who broke what as the main story instead of the actual impending move. Well done, media handlers!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Coyle is spouting nothing but truth.
-

Arion
Twenty-Something

Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:13 pm

MrBlack wrote:I can't see why Rich should have waited. He had a story, he confirmed it, and he even had a DC Exec tell him he should run it. Self-aggrandizement aside, what's the problem?

Yeah, I don't see what all the fuzz is about.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand