Advertisement

Blue Beetle #1 (Jaime likes Rise Against Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Blue Beetle #1 (Jaime likes Rise Against Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:27 pm

It seems kind of strange that DC are doing Jaime Reyes’ origin again, considering the character has been around for only a few years, but then I guess his old origin was tied pretty heavily into Infinite Crisis and in the new DCU he’s the only Blue Beetle, so it had to be done. This was good though, the set-up seems pretty similar to how it was before. We see Jaime, Brenda and Paco, and they don’t seem to have changed much. I liked Bedard’s dialogue here, especially Jaime’s quips about football/soccer, and although I didn’t understand all the Spanish that kept popping up, I liked how it separated Jaime from other characters and since Bedard is Puerto-Rican just like Jaime is, I assume it’s accurate. Ig Guara’s art was really good, a lot better than when he filled in on Booster Gold where it looked pretty rushed, it reminded me of Todd Nauck crossed with Jamal Igle, which is perfect for a teen superhero book. There’s a small part of me that’s still a bit annoyed that Ted Kord has been erased by the reboot, but if Jaime’s book is good, I don’t mind. I was surprised to see that he only got all Beetled up on the last page, but it’s good to see DC are taking things a little slower in their books now, and telling an origin story slowly didn’t hurt Ultimate Spider-Man!
Last edited by Punchy on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Re: Blue Beetle #1 (Jaime likes Rise Against Spoilers)

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:28 pm

ugh rise against

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:29 pm

eltopo wrote:ugh rise against

Jaime Reyes wears a Rise Against t-shirt.

I think they're OK, but a little repetitive. At least he's not wearing a Bieber t-shirt!

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Punchy wrote:
Jaime Reyes wears a Rise Against t-shirt.

I think they're OK, but a little repetitive. At least he's not wearing a Bieber t-shirt!

bieber bangs this
Justin > rise against

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Selena Gomez isn't all that, she has a squashed head.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Punchy wrote:Selena Gomez isn't all that, she has a squashed head.

you know how I know you're gay?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:34 pm

eltopo wrote:you know how I know you're gay?

Because I bought and enjoyed Wonder Woman #1 today?

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Punchy wrote:
Because I bought and enjoyed Wonder Woman #1 today?

YEAH QUEER
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
sounds like that's gonna happen to me later today

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 pm

From what I read, Ted Kord hasn't necessarily been wiped away by the reboot, but Bedard just isn't going to focus on the legacy aspect of the scarab like Rogers did.

Honestly, I did not enjoy this. Roger's Blue Beetle was amazing, probably my favourite teen hero of the last decade. This just seems off, I hated his interpretation of Paco and hinting at a thing between Jaime and Brenda just seems wrong. From what I've read in interviews, Jaime's family won't know he's the Blue Beetle which was one of the things I loved about the last run.

If you want to reach (no pun intended, okay, maybe a little bit) the fans of Brave and the Bold, all you have to do is 'The Reach are evil, Jaime overrode the programming. Dude's a hero' I really don't think he needed his origin retelling.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:27 pm

KING King Impulse wrote:From what I read, Ted Kord hasn't necessarily been wiped away by the reboot, but Bedard just isn't going to focus on the legacy aspect of the scarab like Rogers did.

Honestly, I did not enjoy this. Roger's Blue Beetle was amazing, probably my favourite teen hero of the last decade. This just seems off, I hated his interpretation of Paco and hinting at a thing between Jaime and Brenda just seems wrong. From what I've read in interviews, Jaime's family won't know he's the Blue Beetle which was one of the things I loved about the last run.

If you want to reach (no pun intended, okay, maybe a little bit) the fans of Brave and the Bold, all you have to do is 'The Reach are evil, Jaime overrode the programming. Dude's a hero' I really don't think he needed his origin retelling.

I never read Rogers' run and didn't really start to like Jaime until Generation Lost so maybe that's why I enjoyed this.

Good to hear about Ted, bring him back and put him in the JLI!

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 785 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:54 pm

KING King Impulse wrote:From what I read, Ted Kord hasn't necessarily been wiped away by the reboot, but Bedard just isn't going to focus on the legacy aspect of the scarab like Rogers did.

Didn't Didio say something like Ted Kord having "never existed" in this new DCU? Thought I read that somewhere. It could be that they introduce a Ted Kord later, but he'll probably be very different.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:46 pm

CBR News: How connected will the new "Blue Beetle" book be to the first "Blue Beetle" series? Will Jaime retain his supporting cast and origin, or are you starting with a blank slate?

Tony Bedard: I'm a big fan of Jaime's last series, so I'm not looking to lose the things I loved about it. Thus, Jaime's family will remain the same, his best friends will still be Paco and Brenda, etc. He's still in El Paso, his bugsuit was created by The Reach and so on. This is definitely the same Blue Beetle that has quickly become the most successful new character from DC in years. However, that last series launched in the midst of a very complex crossover, "Infinite Crisis," and was very much tied into the continuity of two previous Blue Beetles. That sort of thing can make it hard for casual readers to get on board. So we'll reintroduce Jaime in a way that keeps what you loved about him but streamlines any needless distractions. I mean, I love Ted Kord, too, but at least at the beginning this series is all about Jaime.

Along those lines, will Booster Gold play a role in your series?

No Booster. Again, I want to establish Jaime as his own man, and when you bring in Booster you bring in the Ghost of Beetles Past. Doesn't mean they won't cross paths later, but not right away.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 365 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm

So in the reboot everything that happened happened except for the things that didnt. :roll:
I love Blue Beetle but I feel like I've already read this and not that long ago.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 300 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:33 pm

So they rebooting Roger's Blue Beetle run with a Bedard run?

Pass.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 425 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:53 pm

I enjoyed what I read and there's enough there for me to continue reading, but, being a fan of the previous series with Jaime there were a few things that seemed off to me when it comes to Jaime's supporting cast. Paco in particular seems like a totally different character. I'm willing to see where things go, but I am now a little worried too.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand