Tuesday, July 17, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "We put the "O" in OCD."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

A Blue Plate Extra-Special -- Chap reviews Incredible Herc!!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:31 am

OK, so to get Hab, rdrsfn82, Dum Dum Dugan, and numerous other Zombies off my ass, I decided to pick up the Incredible Herc: Against the World TPB yesterday. And my opinion:

it's OK. Nothing more, nothing less. The story's fine, Herc's trying to lie low from SHIELD, trying to protect SHIELD from his running buddy Amadeus Cho, and gets into a big fight with big brother Ares (who still makes ZERO sense to me as an Avenger, but hey, that's current Marvel for you). There was some stuff I really liked: the flashbacks to mythical Herc tales juxtaposed with the modern stuff (especially Herc's clearing up of one myth in particular), the scenes with Herc and Black Widow were well done, and Herc's personality rang true for the most part. But I just can't get over my distaste for the whole post-HoM/CW/WWH climate in the Marvel U, and it permeates and really influences the feel of this book.

Herc isn't a "lie low" kind of guy. He's arrogant and cocky and pompous. He's loud and boisterous. He's funny. He hangs out in crowded bars. He performs feats of strength and woos women. He jokes, and laughs, and carouses, and tells tales, and there's just not enough (or really any) of that here. And I really don't like Cho. He's damn sure no Rigellian Recorder. And Khoi Pham is damn sure no Bob Layton, as I really didn't care for the art much either (and seeing Layton's work, even if just for 2 pages, and Reilly Brown's too in the Herc/Hulk: When Titans Collide 1-shot, only reinforced my belief that I'd like this book better if the artist was different).

But...even with those complaints, I liked it. Didn't love it, and certainly am not gonna haul ass to pick up the last few back issues since this TPB, but liked it enough to maybe check out the next trade whenever it comes out and I can catch a half-off sale somewhere.

Truthfully, I was much more impressed by Nova, and hopefully will feel the same when I try GotG in December.

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:06 pm

chap22 wrote:Truthfully, I was much more impressed by Nova, and hopefully will feel the same when I try GotG in December.

Marvel cosmic is where it's at right now.

My dream ending to Secret Invasion is Nova showing up, yelling 'stop this shit RIGHT NOW.' or something comparable and then opening a can of whoop ass on the Skrulls.

Won't happen, but I'd love it. :wink:

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:32 pm

The first arc was good, but not the best thing in Herc so far. I'd suggest continuing on with the book, or I'd strongly suggest skipping the last few and just picking up this week's issue with nothing else to go on. It's a start of a new story and you don't need a ton of previous knowledge of the title to appreciate it. If you don't greatly enjoy it I'd even be willing to send you the 3 bucks to cover the cost. That's how sure I am you'd like the current issue. It's got a little bit of everything you are talking about.

As for Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy, those are probably the best books Marvel has right now, the outer space stuff is just kicking total ass. And no the Inhumans are getting ready to get involved and the X-Men that are in Shi'ar space are coming together as well. A really good time for fans of that stuff.

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:02 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I've really grown to like Herc with his guest spots the last few years. I think the art is great. I saw the preview art when it first came out and it made me more excited for it.

As for Herc being inconspicuous, maybe he finally "grew up" and feels responsile for Cho.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:13 pm

misac wrote:As for Herc being inconspicuous, maybe he finally "grew up" and feels responsile for Cho.

well, that's one of the major points Herc himself makes...he'll never grow up. one of the worst things about being immortal is having forever to keep repeating your same mistakes, or something to that effect.

i do like the way he's trying to subtly (and sometimes not-so-subtly) "handle" Cho, but it comes at the expense of all the stuff that makes Herc fun. or at least it did in this arc.

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Oh and to further sweeten the deal in this week's issue of Herc there was a Mini Marvel strip in the back about the FF and Skrulls being turned into cows that made me laugh, especially Johnny's line about museums.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Nova is awesome.

JL_Amato

rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Khoi Pham needs a better inker.

His art always looks so rough.

leave a comment with facebook