Advertisement

Blue Plates hot and ready!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:Even though I liked it, I still feel there's no arguing with that logic. I don't think this is the greatest run ever, but it's one of the few times I've been really riveted by a Cap run. Normally I just love reading his stories when he's interacting with others in the Avengers or whatever. This run has had such a great focus on his supporting cast it probably helped me get over that issue. Plus Steve wasn't really there for the last 20 issues or so, which meant they really needed to raise the bar to even make stories that seem OK. Poor stories with a replacement Cap would have been really really poorly received and even just average stories with a replacement Cap wouldn't have been seen in a very positive light, the stories needed to be excellent just to get folks to accept the new Cap.

Yeah I feel Bru did a great job because he's pulled of the replacement hero very well. It amazing he didn't get quite the same backlash other have gotten. Now I would love to see Steve return and I also think it would be awesome if Bru tackled some other Cap villains(he's done great work with the ones he's used). Maybe bring back someone with like the Machinesmith or Suprema. That would be awesome.

Advertisement

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Dugan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Bored and procrastinating so here are reviews of books i bought this week.

New Avengers #45
So a few months late here we have the second part of how House of M ties int the skrulls plans. And so we learn... it didn't they neither helped it happen nor helped it end it just happened to them like it did for everyone else, except they kept their original memories (no idea why) and solidified they're faith as "He" got rid of the mutant threat for them. This issue really highlights a lot of the problems with these tie-ins.
Firstly repetitious scenes, did we really need so much repetition of things we'd already seen with nothing substantial added? Scenes of hank and Beast talking with the knowledge hank's actually a skrull shows us nothing. Likewise watchifg spider-woman watch the Hawkeye/Scarlet Withch scene we saw in the original House of M- does nothing.
As for the art, i can't figure out why it could've been delyaed as much as it was, the first oage is empty so Cheung only had to do 22 pages and it seems like half of those are filled up with close-up panels of peoples (or skrulls) eyes looking sad or shocked,

The three splash pages we're treated too are spectacular, but again story-wise, completely useless, i'd rather this issue had been on time than got a splash of the helicarrier (although that was stunning) a battle we've already seen and Annihilationg carnage.

Best Scene- Umm, i guess the Annihilation spread for reminding me of that awesome series.
Best Line- "As long as they are left alone to eat, sleep, watch their TV and fornicatemost of the human race will go along with whatever they are told."

Ultimately dissapointing- 4/10

Fantastic Four #560

This review is far shorter because i just can't think of much to say positively or negatively about Millar and Hitch's FF, which is really the most dissapointing thing of all. It's decent, the writing's competent as is the art but as someone who has only ever been interested in the FF under the pen of Kesel, Waid or Lee i need more. The fanatastical concepts that should be in the FF are there (dystopian futures and future Galactus-powered time machines) but the execution just feels lacking (and rather predictable, i'd already figure out all the twists in this issue). I have hopes it'll pick up as Doom takes a more prominent role though as Millar's Doom is great, even his solitary line in this issue is a highlight.

Best Scene: Invisible Woman Vs Invisible Woman
Best Line: "I will say this only once: whoever orchestrated this kidnapping shall die by my hand tonight. So swears Victor Von Doom."

Underwhelming but not bad per se- 6/10

Avengers: Initiative, Thunderbolts, Daredevil, Captain America, Nova and Black Panther coming tomorrow.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 850 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:51 pm

chap22 wrote:fuck. i didn't realize until just now that i didn't get Fables yesterday. I completely forgot it came out yesterday and my guy somewhow missed it on my pull this week. dammit. oh well, i'm probably taking my nephews to the store for some cheap Star Wars swag this weekend...i can pick it up then.

I went to my LCS 2 weeks ago and the temp guy behind the counter told me Fables #75 hadn't come out yet, even though I KNEW it had. I went back yesterday and they gave me Fables #76. Don't want to read it, especially since I've been good and kept myself from reading the spoilers for 75....

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:30 pm

chap22 wrote:where Cap (Steve OR Bucky) didn't really do a goddamn thing. he NEVER even faced the Skull, he never faced Faustus, he didn't do a thing to Sin except put his shield between her ordnance and intended targets, he never faced Zola, and the Skull's scheme fell apart b/c his lackeys got squirrelly and he fucked up. if THIS was really supposed to prove to me that Bucky's a fitting successor, it failed miserably. all it proved to me is that, despite a 39 or so issue view of how brilliant a plan he's concocted, in the end the Skull's an idiot, which shouldn't be the case.

i want the real Cap back. NOW.

I'd rather they let Buck grow into the suit for a few more years.

Wait until #75.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:32 pm

Chris wrote:I'd rather they let Buck grow into the suit for a few more years.

Wait until #75.

I'd like to see it go even a bit farther than that. Maybe issue #100.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:29 pm

starlord wrote:I'd like to see it go even a bit farther than that. Maybe issue #100.

Yeah, I just think it'd be kind of ridiculous and pointless to build Buck up all this time now just for Steve to return.

And Brubaker has always said Bucky was always the main character of his run.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand