Advertisement

Blue Plates hot and ready!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Blue Plates hot and ready!

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 pm

misac's off-line, so he can post 'em to the front page later, but here they are if you can't wait that long:

This week, since I'm so late with these, a full six-course meal for your review/spoiler enjoyment!

Appetizer :
Superman 680
-- probably my last issue of this title for a while (I'm just burned out on the S-books, and adding Supergirl to the mix just adds to my malaise), but if so, it was a fun issue to go out on; Krypto gives Atlas hell long enough for Supes to recover, go enlist the services of Zatara (Zee's teenage cousin, not dear ol' dead dad), and come back and beat the titan of yore; the fight was rather anti-climactic, and the writing just really wasn't as good as I've come to expect from Robinson, but the art was great, the interaction between Supes & Zatara was quite fun, and the unrepentant dog-lover in me absolutely adored every single panel that featured Krypto; good boy in-DEED; liked it

Salad:
Teen Titans 63
-- I can't get a real read on Bombshell, whether McKeever plans on keeping her an enemy or trying to rehab her into a team member, but I'll admit I don't like her as a character, so her part in this story leaves me cold; the Cassie/Ares/Ares's kid stuff is only slightly more engaging; I love what McKeever's done on this book so far, and I like Barrows' art, but this issue was a let-down after a string of what I thought were 1st-rate entries; not bad per se, just mediocre

Soup:
Captain America 42
-- I don't know how I really anticipated this (truthfully) 42-issue epic to finally end, but I guess that I should've expected a bit of a let-down all along; Bru just made it so good for so long that I hoped for fantastic, and what I got instead was...not; Skull's plot basically ends up self-foiling, I still don't know what the hell all the stuff they got from Doom ended up being, Bucky beats Sin basically by getting himself shot with a missile launcher and letting the government clean it up, Sharon kills Lukin, the former '50s Cap takes out Arnim's body and escapes, and the Skull's personality ends up transplanted into one of Zola's TV screen-face-bellied clones; whoopee...; art was great, story was a whimper where I hoped for a bang; good, yet still ultimately unsatisfying

Sorbet:
Trinity 17
-- I freely admit it, I LOVE this book; art, plot, dialogue, characterization, the whole shebang; this issue, Morgaine & Co. win, the whole world changes, and in the backup, we finally get some background on Konvikt like I hoped we would, fleshing the big guy out and showing us he may actually be sympathetic; I can't wait until next week so we can see exactlywhat changes the evil Trinity's plan has wrought; palate-cleansingly good

Entree:
Immortal Iron Fist: Orson Randall & the Death Queen of California
-- Swierczynski definitely has a different feel from Bru & Fraction, but he is a worthy succesor in his own right; this one-shot was pure unadulterated pulpy noir fun, mixing hard-boiled Hollywood mystery with K'un-L'un mysticism, bullets and babes and detective work and cults and movie "stars"; think Chinatown and L.A. Confidential mixed with Kung Fu, with Orson Randall in a starring role; LOVED it

Dessert:
Madame Xanadu 4
-- the more I read of this book, the more I'm starting to enjoy it; this issue, Madame X and Marco Polo save Kublai Khan's favorite consort from a rape/murder, Marco becomes a bit of a Green Lantern (my favorite bit in this title so far have been how Wagner slyly and subtly tie these Vertigo happenings into actual DC characters/continuity), the Madame gets a spark of her magic back and gets a bit randy, the Phantom Stranger escapes her and the Khan (but takes her with him for a short way), and we leave with Madame X alone in the desert; the stories are fun, Hadley's art is sumptuous, and I'm really digging this look at the mysterious lady's past and origins; really liked it
Last edited by chap22 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Advertisement

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 587 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:02 pm

I concur on Bombshell.

She is on the cover of the recruitment drive ish, so maybe she is turnin a new leaf?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 189 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Plus we just found out that how dickery those goverment fellas are this issue. Also chap I disagree I loved Capt. I felt it very satisfying that Sharon is the one who gets to end everything by pulling a Jack Bauer and emptying an entire gun clip in a Skull free Lunkin and the Red Skull now has to stomach having his mind in one of Zola's bodies.

Honestly, I expected Bucky not get the Skull and that it was Sharon who was gonna get some payback at least. Was surprised the Director got Zola though. Course it's Zola so he's probably already dled into a new body.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:12 pm

I agree on Iron Fist(I loved the noir private eye feel) but I really disagree on Captain America. I effing loved that issue from beginning to end. Bru's written one of the best Cap stories ever and this was a great end.
Last edited by Jack Burton on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:15 pm

Wendy living = Titan's sucking.

Hab

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I agree on Iron Fist(I loved the noir private eye feel) but I really disagree on Captain America. I effing loved that issue from beginning to end. Bru's written one of the best Cap stories ever and this was a great end.

where Cap (Steve OR Bucky) didn't really do a goddamn thing. he NEVER even faced the Skull, he never faced Faustus, he didn't do a thing to Sin except put his shield between her ordnance and intended targets, he never faced Zola, and the Skull's scheme fell apart b/c his lackeys got squirrelly and he fucked up. if THIS was really supposed to prove to me that Bucky's a fitting successor, it failed miserably. all it proved to me is that, despite a 39 or so issue view of how brilliant a plan he's concocted, in the end the Skull's an idiot, which shouldn't be the case.

i want the real Cap back. NOW.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 189 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:25 pm

chap22 wrote:where Cap (Steve OR Bucky) didn't really do a goddamn thing. he NEVER even faced the Skull, he never faced Faustus, he didn't do a thing to Sin except put his shield between her ordnance and intended targets, he never faced Zola, and the Skull's scheme fell apart b/c his lackeys got squirrelly and he fucked up. if THIS was really supposed to prove to me that Bucky's a fitting successor, it failed miserably. all it proved to me is that, despite a 39 or so issue view of how brilliant a plan he's concocted, in the end the Skull's an idiot, which shouldn't be the case.

i want the real Cap back. NOW.

Fanboy. :P

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 186 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:22 am

I'm really loving Madame Xanadu so far - as Chap says, Wagner really is tying everything into both DC and Vertigo continuity perfectly, too. For example, when Xanadu first encounters Marco Polo (in the previous issue) he has literally just wandered out of an issue of Sandman.

And the art is a thing of wonder, IMO. I really hope this book is finding the readership it deserves or that DC will be patient with it and let it build.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:26 am

I read all of these but Madam Xanadu (I'm disappointed we didn't get a Fables review).

I totally agree on Superman. A good issue, but something was missing and I'm not really feeling a desire to read Supergirl or about Kryptonians being released on the Earth again. I enjoyed this arc and I'm enjoying the stuff Johns has done so far in Action, but after Braniac's arc wraps up I'm going to drop both books for at least a while. No point in buyins stuff I'm not excited for when there are so many exciting books out there.

I agree on Teen Titans as well. This issue was a miss, considering how much I liked his other stories so far. Bombshell doesn't interest me. I did like the stuff with the JSA and with Blue Beetle and Red Devil, but overall the issue wasn't that good and there was too much boring stuff with folks I don't care about.

I disagree on Cap though. Sure it's not a perfect ending, Cap didn't do as much as one would hope for, but it really was a great spotlight for the supporting cast and I have the feeling that we'll see Cap taking on all these folks again some time soon. I really enjoyed the scene with Tony talking about telling Sharon about the baby and the turn of the 50's Cap into a hero again. Overall not a great ending, but nothing could live up to what this book has been built to. It was a good ending, and it set things up that you'd want to see in future stories.

Trinity continues to have a chance to be just as good or better than 52. I was sad the main story seemed shorter than normal, but damned if they didn't make Konvict into a fairly interesting character and make me interested in that story in the back up. I love this book every single week.

The last book I also read was the Iron Fist one shot, and just like you I loved it. Great book, and any fears I had about the new writer have been washed away with the last few issues of the main series and this one shot. He gets the characters and this issue was just a wonderful pulp detective story with a great mystical touch. Wonderful story. Now if they could just get this art team on the main book, I'd be very very happy with Iron Fist again.

I'd also like to mention a couple books you didn't review.

Nova was great again and K'lrt continues to be a cool character, I'm tempted to follow his story continue in She Hulk even though I don't read that book. Anyways this book had a great New Warriors fight/team up and a very very very very surprising and interesting final page. I'd love to see where that leads for the people on that page.

Thunderbolts was another solid SI tie in. The opening with Norman reacting to multiple Spiderman Skrulls was great. His way of getting Penance to deal with his problem was perfect. Moonstone and her actions towards Andrea was perfect and fairly surprising. Swordsman's reaction was wonderful. This team feels real and interesting and I can't wait to see where this book goes from here. I get the feeling that folks may be right about Dark Reign having something to do with Norman taking over SHIELD.

Lastly I'd just like to add that Fables was great as well. Wonderful issue dealing with some major fall out from #75. Good to see how people are reacting to the fall out and nice to see the people in charge looking to handle things with the newest resident in a permanent way. This was a good issue, even if it only existed to show the new status quo.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:15 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:I read all of these but Madam Xanadu (I'm disappointed we didn't get a Fables review).

Lastly I'd just like to add that Fables was great as well. Wonderful issue dealing with some major fall out from #75. Good to see how people are reacting to the fall out and nice to see the people in charge looking to handle things with the newest resident in a permanent way. This was a good issue, even if it only existed to show the new status quo.

fuck. i didn't realize until just now that i didn't get Fables yesterday. I completely forgot it came out yesterday and my guy somewhow missed it on my pull this week. dammit. oh well, i'm probably taking my nephews to the store for some cheap Star Wars swag this weekend...i can pick it up then.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby C20Percent » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:19 am

So Chap, you're not gonna read the New Krypton story with Action Comics, Superman, and Supergirl (Ugh)?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:22 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:I disagree on Cap though. Sure it's not a perfect ending, Cap didn't do as much as one would hope for, but it really was a great spotlight for the supporting cast and I have the feeling that we'll see Cap taking on all these folks again some time soon. I really enjoyed the scene with Tony talking about telling Sharon about the baby and the turn of the 50's Cap into a hero again. Overall not a great ending, but nothing could live up to what this book has been built to. It was a good ending, and it set things up that you'd want to see in future stories.

Bru just spoiled me by making the book SO great for SO long, that the last two issues, ostensibly the big climactic ones, fizzled for me by comparison. they were still good stories, they just didn't live up to what came before, and the anti-climactic feel of them (again, for me) lessened this run so far quite a bit IMO. i know i'm a broken record on this subject, but i judge all Cap stories by: 1) JMD's Red Skull opus from 290-300, and 2) Gru's Cap No More storyline from 332-350. in the end, both of those finished much, MUCH stronger than this did, and as such, i still can't call this the best Cap run ever. or even the second best.

truthfully, i feel Bru's run peaked with 21st Century Blitz, and it's been slowly declining ever since.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:25 am

C20Percent wrote:So Chap, you're not gonna read the New Krypton story with Action Comics, Superman, and Supergirl (Ugh)?

nope. storage space issues, diaper & formula & daycare cost issues, a complete apathy towards Jimmy Olsen one-shots, apathy-to-disdain for Supergirl, and a near-complete apathy toward "a million suddenly living Kryptonians on Earth" storyline are leading me to visit drop city. if i hear REALLY good things, i'll pick it up later in trade.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:09 am

chap22 wrote:Bru just spoiled me by making the book SO great for SO long, that the last two issues, ostensibly the big climactic ones, fizzled for me by comparison. they were still good stories, they just didn't live up to what came before, and the anti-climactic feel of them (again, for me) lessened this run so far quite a bit IMO. i know i'm a broken record on this subject, but i judge all Cap stories by: 1) JMD's Red Skull opus from 290-300, and 2) Gru's Cap No More storyline from 332-350. in the end, both of those finished much, MUCH stronger than this did, and as such, i still can't call this the best Cap run ever. or even the second best.

truthfully, i feel Bru's run peaked with 21st Century Blitz, and it's been slowly declining ever since.

Even though I liked it, I still feel there's no arguing with that logic. I don't think this is the greatest run ever, but it's one of the few times I've been really riveted by a Cap run. Normally I just love reading his stories when he's interacting with others in the Avengers or whatever. This run has had such a great focus on his supporting cast it probably helped me get over that issue. Plus Steve wasn't really there for the last 20 issues or so, which meant they really needed to raise the bar to even make stories that seem OK. Poor stories with a replacement Cap would have been really really poorly received and even just average stories with a replacement Cap wouldn't have been seen in a very positive light, the stories needed to be excellent just to get folks to accept the new Cap.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:12 am

chap22 wrote:nope. storage space issues, diaper & formula & daycare cost issues, a complete apathy towards Jimmy Olsen one-shots, apathy-to-disdain for Supergirl, and a near-complete apathy toward "a million suddenly living Kryptonians on Earth" storyline are leading me to visit drop city. if i hear REALLY good things, i'll pick it up later in trade.

I agree with all of this. I don't really care about Jimmy Olsen one shots, I don't like the current Supergirl (although she was OK in Action last week or whatever), and the idea of the plot just seems kind of lame to me. If I hear really great things I might pick it up, but outside of hearing it's a new classic I'm out for a while. I need to pick up fewer books anyways.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand