Advertisement

DC Bound and Determined to Kill Any and All Momentum for Superman/Wonder Woman Series

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 129 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Re: DC Bound and Determined to Kill Any and All Momentum for

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
:lol:
Fan-Boy Drama-Meter ! And we could color code it like the Terrorist Threats.

Sounds like an Outhouse gimmick for sure! :smt026

Advertisement

Cilla Hagle
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: DC Bound and Determined to Kill Any and All Momentum for Superman/Wonder Woman Series

Postby Cilla Hagle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:13 pm

If DC wants to attract female readers give us a strong female heroine we can relate to on a human level...like Stephanie Brown maybe?

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 258 posts

Re: RE: DC Bound and Determined to Kill Any and All Momentum

Postby Draco x » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:21 am

FBtron wrote:Personally, I do not go for dysfunction relationships and sparkly, pussified vampires! I go for the powerful and independent women! I also go for the characters I know and love! How dare he say that about women! Didio get out! He clearly doesn't know a thing about female readers nor does he understand female characters! What the hell is wrong with him?

Yet somebody at DC hired him and the fact that the higher ups at the company and WB haven't canned him by now shows that the problems didn't begin with Didio. If it had been a case where these people in power had given Didio a chance but then quickly realized that it was a bad idea to have hired him that would be one thing. However, the fact that they all seem to be thinking he's doing a good job shows that the problems lie within them.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:57 am

FBtron wrote:If DC wants to attract female readers give us a strong female heroine we can relate to on a human level...like Stephanie Brown maybe?

Stephanie Brown: getting women to read comics since absolutely never.

SporkBot
Post Whore

Liked in: 204 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 am

Steph's still a fun character with immense story potential, when written correctly. I'll take her worst story over the "best" that Winick or Lobdell can churn out.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:36 am

superfictious wrote:
Stephanie Brown: getting women to read comics since absolutely never.

Except maybe as an Afterschool Special.

"Three failed costumed identites"
"Unplanned teenage pregnancy"
"Gave her child up"

"Parents, DON'T let your daughters end up like this" :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

SporkBot
Post Whore

Postby SporkBot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:26 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:"Three failed costumed identites"
"Unplanned teenage pregnancy"
"Gave her child up"

"Parents, DON'T let your daughters end up like this"

Those examples could easily be used to show the best part of her character: She perseveres. After everyone telling her to quit, she keeps going, keeps fighting the good fight. She openly defied Batman of all people. I'd say that whole "don't give up, help those who can't help themselves" is rather positive.

I wouldn't call her identities "failures". She rather got promoted to Robin (though admittedly got fired), and then was promoted again to Batgirl (by Bruce's instructions). The only reason her Batgirl tenure ended was because of the shortsighted reboot.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:35 pm

SporkBot wrote:
Those examples could easily be used to show the best part of her character: She perseveres. After everyone telling her to quit, she keeps going, keeps fighting the good fight. She openly defied Batman of all people. I'd say that whole "don't give up, help those who can't help themselves" is rather positive.

I wouldn't call her identities "failures". She rather got promoted to Robin (though admittedly got fired), and then was promoted again to Batgirl (by Bruce's instructions). The only reason her Batgirl tenure ended was because of the shortsighted reboot.

I am more for Cassandra Cain myself but to each his own.

SporkBot
Post Whore

Postby SporkBot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:22 pm

draco x wrote:I am more for Cassandra Cain myself but to each his own.

Truth be told...so am I. She is by far my favorite Batgirl. But I kind of like to defend them both, because both of them got raw deals at some point. And what I mentioned above? That's mostly derived from critiques of a friend of mine who's a big Steph Brown fan. Interestingly enough, I didn't even care that much about Steph, then she "died" in the War Games. Then I started missing her.

Orpheus, not so much. Because he stunk as a character.

I didn't like how she replaced Cass as B-girl at first, but the more I read, the more I enjoyed. She had a great tenure that could and should have continued. And it would've been nice to see more of Cass.

Maybe DC admitted to themselves that they didn't know how to write these characters, and have refrained from using them out of respect to them and the fans.

Yeah, I know it sounds far-fetched.

Michael Martin
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: DC Bound and Determined to Kill Any and All Momentum for Superman/Wonder Woman Series

Postby Michael Martin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:30 pm

Mind you, though, the New 52 did get me reading an American superhero comic regularly for the first time ever (though I did jump in at number 19 XD). But not sure I can justify the expense now. Plus I went back to the start and there's still acres of characters and continuity carried over from the 'old howevermany'.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 170 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:35 am

SporkBot wrote:
Truth be told...so am I. She is by far my favorite Batgirl. But I kind of like to defend them both, because both of them got raw deals at some point. And what I mentioned above? That's mostly derived from critiques of a friend of mine who's a big Steph Brown fan. Interestingly enough, I didn't even care that much about Steph, then she "died" in the War Games. Then I started missing her.

I didn't like how she replaced Cass as B-girl at first, but the more I read, the more I enjoyed. She had a great tenure that could and should have continued. And it would've been nice to see more of Cass.

Maybe DC admitted to themselves that they didn't know how to write these characters, and have refrained from using them out of respect to them and the fans.

No. I prefer Cassandra over Stephanie too, but again like you said they go hand and hand in how fucked up DC has screwed up either character. Kill or turn them evil, the fan base will stick by and endure. But that theory is far fetched. We know for a fact Scott Synder wanted #13 to be Cass centric.

I think what DC fears is Cassandra eclipsing their "ironic" Barbara if Snyder gets his paws on the character. Note he's barely used Barbara in the New 52 now save the cameo at the end in Death of the Family. He had to create Harper Row to fill in all the Cassandra appearances he had intended. It's quite clear to me DC doesn't want Cassandra around because it mucks up their current philosophy. And the funny thing is? They're losing money they could have for it. Before a certain someone will say, "Wrong Zechs, Barbara's selling better than Cass."

Cass had two major events (Officer Down, Bruce Wayne: Fugitive/Murderer) written in her first twenty five issues. Barbara's had FIVE (Night of the Owls, Zero issue, Death of the Family, Villains Month, and now Zero Year). Stephanie? Zero. Make that as you will of the true reason Barbara is selling.

Iconic my ass. Every day I hope and pray that damn book crashes and burns like it deserves.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

SporkBot
Post Whore

Postby SporkBot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 am

Something else I noticed: When Babs was originally crippled, it was barely a year before she reinvented herself as Oracle. In the New52, not only is Oracle never mentioned, Babs doesn't seem to have any hacker skills whatsoever. This means 52-Babs was sulking in her wheelchair for three years before a "miracle cure" (that was never explained) came along.

New52 Barbara is a weaker Barbara. Good going, DC.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:00 am

Zechs wrote:Iconic my ass. Every day I hope and pray that damn book crashes and burns like it deserves.

What would that accomplish, and how does it deserve to be a failure?

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am

I just don't see any point to this thing, other than to underscore how new and totally not like the old DC universe the New 52 really is. I mean, after almost a year of the relationship being a thing, I think anyone that cared about it isn't going to care about it anymore than they already do... and the people that hate it aren't going to buy this mini anyway.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:34 pm

SporkBot wrote:

Oh, I remember Orpheus myself. It suck that he got such a shitty death though. I mean I get the fact that he wasn't a popular character but he deserved way better than to be killed so easily by a d-list Bat-villain.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand