Tuesday, October 16, 2018 • Morning Edition • "We're so sorry, DC. Please take us back."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Brian Michael Bendis Researching Best Ways To Ruin DC Characters

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Brian Michael Bendis Researching Best Ways To Ruin DC Characters

To be fair, it's more character study than he ever did at Marvel.

Source: Twitter

Now that Brian Michael Bendis is DC-exclusive after nearly 18 years at Marvel, the writer is putting in work. Well, as much work as reading comics can be. Bendis tweeted out a picture of an enormous stack of comics, presumably as reference material for the new job.

Among the comics in the picture are The Justice League International Omnibus, Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus, and Gotham Central Omnibus. Bendis followed it up with a clarification that this is only one stack of six.

With this much work ahead of him, it's safe to say by the time he starts writing his first DC book, he'll have plenty of ways to run them into the ground.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 pm

I have trouble believing that.

The research part, I mean.

But, hey, maybe he's trying a different approach than he did with Guardians of the Galaxy.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:16 pm

BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS RESEARCHING BEST WAYS TO RUIN DC CHARACTERS

I don't know. Turning Captain Marvel into a pompous ass-wagon, Starfire into an apathetic sex doll, Tim into an arrogant "genius" that's actually pretty freakin' stupid, Batman's ambivalence to Jason Todd murdering people while wearing a bat-emblem, Cassie Cain and Stephanie Brown being little more than Harper Row's cheering squad-slash-subservient attention-givers, David Cain being a thoughtless henchmen with the personality of moldy oatmeal, Conner Hawke and his amazing technicolor hairdo, Bats and Catwoman having random angry rooftop sex, are all pretty thorough in ruining characters.

I don't see how he can do it. I mean granted, I haven't read any Bendis in a while, but still.

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:32 pm

He doesn't need to read all of that for the best ways to ruin DC characters, just the 14 years of DiDio-era books, plus watch the "Arrowverse" TV shows and DCEU movies.

There! I just saved Bendis a LOT of time that he would have wasted reading enjoyable, well-written stories that would have given him the RIGHT idea! 8)

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Thankfully I don't think I see any Supergirl in that pile.

STAY AWAY FROM HER, BENDIS.

That is all.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Chessack wrote:Thankfully I don't think I see any Supergirl in that pile.

STAY AWAY FROM HER, BENDIS.

That is all.

That's exactly who he is writing. Why do you think there are no supergirl comics on the pile, hmm? We all know bendis doesn't read reference materials on comics he writes! :twisted:

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:11 pm

It's going to be hard even for a hack like Bendis to ruin any DC characters anymore than Didio and his band of idiots already did. However, I am sure Bendis will find a way to out-do all the damage that has already been done to DC by the others who came before him.

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:12 pm

SporkBot wrote:
I don't know. Turning Captain Marvel into a pompous ass-wagon, Starfire into an apathetic sex doll, Tim into an arrogant "genius" that's actually pretty freakin' stupid, Batman's ambivalence to Jason Todd murdering people while wearing a bat-emblem, Cassie Cain and Stephanie Brown being little more than Harper Row's cheering squad-slash-subservient attention-givers, David Cain being a thoughtless henchmen with the personality of moldy oatmeal, Conner Hawke and his amazing technicolor hairdo, Bats and Catwoman having random angry rooftop sex, are all pretty thorough in ruining characters.

I don't see how he can do it. I mean granted, I haven't read any Bendis in a while, but still.

So basically Bendis has a high bar already set before him. 8)

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Draco x wrote:So basically Bendis has a high bar already set before him.

Well, sure, but when you put it in those words it sounds like an aspiration, a goal to achieve.

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 pm

"How can I fit Wolverine into this?"

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 pm

Considering the fact that we already witnessed DC's characters and concepts being trashed by people like Johns, Lobdell and Liefeld, you should change the title of this article to "Brian Michael Bendis Researching New Ways To Ruin DC Characters".

These characters have endured far worse things. They can survive Bendis' writing style. :roll:

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:31 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
That's exactly who he is writing. Why do you think there are no supergirl comics on the pile, hmm? We all know bendis doesn't read reference materials on comics he writes! :twisted:

Actually, I have it on good authority, (I just made it up), that he's writing a Mera and Cybore ongoing team-up.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Dammit! Two LSH books in that stack. :x :smt013

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:07 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:That's exactly who he is writing. Why do you think there are no supergirl comics on the pile, hmm? We all know bendis doesn't read reference materials on comics he writes!

Oh.... crap...

MikeinLA

cheese

Postby MikeinLA » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 am

You have to figure he's writing a Batman book. He'd be a good fit for Suicide Squad too.

leave a comment with facebook