Advertisement

Brian Wood Responds to Tess Fowler's Accusations

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:26 pm

In a statement on his website, Brian Wood has responded to the controversy that has been building for the last several weeks.

Source: BrianWood.com

Earlier this week, we reported on a series of Tweets from cartoonist Tess Fowler about Brian Wood. You can read that story here.

Wood has issued the following response on his website:

For the last couple weeks I’ve been accused of a lot of very serious things. I feel I have to speak up for myself and for my friends and colleagues who are finding themselves under a sort of scrutiny they don’t deserve. This situation has reached the point where it is affecting people who in no way deserve it, up to and including my family.

Tess Fowler is correct about this: I did make a pass at her at SDCC Hyatt bar roughly 8 years ago. But when she declined, that was the conclusion of the matter for me. There was never a promise of quid pro quo, no exertion of power, no threats, and no revenge. This was at a time in my career when I had very little professional power or industry recognition. The pickup was a lame move, absolutely, and I’ll accept the heat for having done it, but that’s all it was: I liked her, I took a chance, and was shot down. I immediately regretted it, and I apologize to Ms. Fowler for the tackiness and embarrassment of it all.

I’ve kept quiet for these last couple weeks because this is a problematic thing to address without unintended blowback. I didn’t want to appear as if I was simply calling Ms. Fowler a liar, or invite any negative opinion directed back at her. While I believe she is as incorrect as she can be about what my intent and motivations were, there’s no way for this not to devolve into an ugly he-said-she-said situation, amplified to the nth degree by the nature of the internet.

I think the larger issues of abuse in the comics industry are genuine and I share everyone's concerns. As a father to a young daughter showing an interest in making her own comics, I do really care about this stuff. So I don’t want our difference of accounts to take attention away from that industry-wide discussion that needs to happen.

Brian Wood
11/15/2013

As with Fowler's statements, we can in no way vouch for the veracity of anything being said, but at least we now have two sides to the story. We'll keep you updated.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: Brian Wood Responds to Tess Fowler's Accusations

Postby Rockman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:32 pm

much ado about nothing eh.

Sound reasonable and rational to me.

Good job Mr. Wood you look like the better person here.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Good statement.

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Rockman wrote:much ado about nothing eh.

Sound reasonable and rational to me.

Good job Mr. Wood you look like the better person here.

What makes his version the unquestioned truth and hers a lie or exaggeration? The tone? Don't you feel the least bit transparent?

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:53 pm

We don't know what's the truth yet. But the fact is Wood comes off as rational, calm and factual.
She came off like a hysterical loon on crack.

He was smart for waiting to respond. By letting her run her mouth she did all his his work for him :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

poop

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby poop » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:53 pm

It doesn't. It just presented in a calm proffesional manner. Sadly, for alot people, that's taken better than caps locked ranting profanity.

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:56 pm

alijafferythehunk wrote:It doesn't. It just presented in a calm proffesional manner. Sadly, for alot people, that's taken better than caps locked ranting profanity.

If you actually read Rockman's response, which is what quotes are for and why we quote them ... he obviously views it that way.

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:11 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:We don't know what's the truth yet. But the fact is Wood comes off as rational, calm and factual.

He was smart for waiting to respond. By letting her run her mouth she did all his his work for him :lol:

You don't know what the truth is, but the rest of the post indicates that you don't actually care because a woman who isn't a robot is automatically crazy and probably lying.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Regulator wrote:
You don't know what the truth is, but the rest of the post indicates that you don't actually care because a woman who isn't a robot is automatically crazy and probably lying.

Dude, put your white knight shit away. He didn't even say anything of the sort. He stated how he thought she came off in her tweets. :smt011

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 114 posts

Postby dairydead » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Regulator wrote:

It's not about not being a robot,its about using profanity and name calling in an overly hysterical fashion. I don't get what's so hard to understand

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Keep in mind:

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 279 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:01 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:We don't know what's the truth yet. But the fact is Wood comes off as rational, calm and factual.

Agreed. Regardless of who is telling the truth, Woods' Twitter statements made him look better than hers.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 657 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Draco x wrote:
Agreed. Regardless of who is telling the truth, Woods' Twitter statements made him look better than hers.

It's good we focus on the important things.

mbulcher
Faster Pussycat

Postby mbulcher » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 pm

While this entire situation is deeply depressing, the conversation it sparked is a much-needed one. As a fan of Wood's work, I was glad to see him respond the way he did. This is complicated stuff, and there was way too much knee-jerking going on in the first 24 hours. The self-righteousness and spiteful piggy-backing was absolutely over the top. But hey, it's the internet, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

The news sites (particularly CBR) who either waited, or declined, to report on this until both sides spoke up have earned my respect. The rest? Not so much.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm

mbulcher wrote:While this entire situation is deeply depressing, the conversation it sparked is a much-needed one. As a fan of Wood's work, I was glad to see him respond the way he did. This is complicated stuff, and there was way too much knee-jerking going on in the first 24 hours. The self-righteousness and spiteful piggy-backing was absolutely over the top. But hey, it's the internet, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

The news sites (particularly CBR) who either waited, or declined, to report on this until both sides spoke up have earned my respect. The rest? Not so much.

I mean, really, this is a stupid comment. For all you know the sites running the news and getting it out there is what pushed Wood to release a statement. Why would he bother if there was only someone tweeting things and every single website sat on the news. Plus, Wood was reached out to. Things do happen behind the scenes at websites. Let's get something straight, sites like CBR don't wait for the sake of news, they wait so they don't piss off industry buddies.

The story was reported by every site that ran it before now completely straight with no sides taken, just as news should be done.

I guess by this thinking, news programs shouldn't report on anything until every side gets to insert their PR. Why do a report on a suspect being arrested for a crime if we haven't received an official statement from the suspect yet? Why do a report on anything Snowden reveals about the government if we haven't waited to get an official statement from the gov't.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand