Advertisement

C2E2: Didio Admits Only Half of Future's End Creative Teams Set, DC Destroyed 125,000 3D Covers Last Year

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

C2E2: Didio Admits Only Half of Future's End Creative Teams Set, DC Destroyed 125,000 3D Covers Last Year

Postby LOLtron » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Didio Admits Only Half of Future's End Creative Teams Set, DC Destroyed 125,000 3D Covers Last Year

The DC Co-Publisher said that it's normal for the company to not know the creative teams of its books even three months in advance.

Source: The Beat

The Beat has a report up about enigmatic DC Co-Publisher Dan Didio's speech at the DC Midwest Retailer Summit held before C2E2. According to the report, Dan Didio addressed retailer concerns about the lack of creative teams on their advance solicits for the September Gimmick Month 3Dnado 2: 2Dnadoer Future's End Tie-In books by assuring them that half of the books had creative teams. Didio said that DC sometimes doesn't even know who will be working on a book three months in advance.

Didio also promised retailers that DC had worked out all the kinks on the lenticular 3D covers, revealing that DC had to destroy 125,000 copies last year due to blurry proofs and printing errors.

Sources close to Didio tell The Outhouse that, somehow, all of this sounded like a good thing in the Co-Publisher's head.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 280 posts

Re: C2E2: Didio Admits Only Half of Future's End Creative Te

Postby Draco x » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:21 pm

I knew I was going to laugh when I read this and I am glad I wasn't disappointed. :D

CrazyScarecrow
Peanut

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Fear....is power.
Formerly: Steve Dayton

Postby CrazyScarecrow » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Gotta love Didio. :lol:

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 62 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:38 pm

He should sell bridges .. he's that sleazy

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby TimH » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:01 pm

In an exclusive interview, Axel told me, "Not to call the kettle black, but Dan is navigating communication challenges that going forward are going to get Dan thrown out at the plate at the bottom of the ninth."

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 659 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:03 pm

TimH wrote:In an exclusive interview, Axel told me, "Not to call the kettle black, but Dan is navigating communication challenges that going forward are going to get Dan thrown out at the plate at the bottom of the ninth."

Wait till you see the one I just published about the 100th Anniversary specials (I stole your sandbox line for the ending. :-D )
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 280 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 pm

holtom2000 wrote:He should sell bridges .. he's that sleazy

He's ruined enough things already, so don't give him any ideas, my friend.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:07 am

Judging by the occasional cover with no credits, sometimes they don't know the creative team at the time of publishing.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 333 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:14 am

I don't understand how DC is working. How can they not know the creative team three months out? It takes longer than that to make a comic on most cases. The story has to go from writer to penciler to inker to colorist to letterer to proofer to printer and then be run, printed, stapled, packaged, and shipped.

Unless they are doing a rush job, that can't happen in 3 months.

And maybe this is the problem.... if everything in DC is being done as a rush job, it would explain the sloppiness of what is going on at the company.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:47 am

Chessack wrote:I don't understand how DC is working. How can they not know the creative team three months out? It takes longer than that to make a comic on most cases. The story has to go from writer to penciler to inker to colorist to letterer to proofer to printer and then be run, printed, stapled, packaged, and shipped.

Unless they are doing a rush job, that can't happen in 3 months.

And maybe this is the problem.... if everything in DC is being done as a rush job, it would explain the sloppiness of what is going on at the company.

Because despite all this DC comics still sell.

It's actually fair enough. We all know comics are struggling. They're struggling massively. But DC know that there is fans who are going to buy the issues no matter what. Who gives a fuck about making a class creative team who will want paying well, when they can slap any old fucker on Batman #49593 and it'll sell?

These comics will sell incredibly well. Evidently. I've been saying this for years, the talent of the industry is slipping away to do their own thing, the dregs will work on superhero characters. It'll still sell, why would DC bother putting out top quality material? It's better to put out shite and watch the internet still buy it.

HNutz likes this post.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:51 am

Like Master J wrote:Because despite all this DC comics still sell.

It's actually fair enough. We all know comics are struggling. They're struggling massively. But DC know that there is fans who are going to buy the issues no matter what. Who gives a fuck about making a class creative team who will want paying well, when they can slap any old fucker on Batman #49593 and it'll sell?

These comics will sell incredibly well. Evidently. I've been saying this for years, the talent of the industry is slipping away to do their own thing, the dregs will work on superhero characters. It'll still sell, why would DC bother putting out top quality material? It's better to put out shite and watch the internet still buy it.

Yes, I definitely agree with you. And as you imply, shite is way cheaper to produce than quality (shite writers and artists don't demand as high a level of compensation).

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:00 pm

This is incredibly shocking. *yawn*

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 707 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:05 pm

What kills me, is that it seems it was proven that the sales are still there while DC Comics becomes a bigger pile of shit all the time.

DC Comics died several years ago. Now we have a racist, ignorant pile of shit shambling about claiming to be DC Comics. It's ignorant to all - the fans, the creators and the potential of both.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:DC Comics died several years ago. Now we have a racist, ignorant pile of shit shambling about claiming to be DC Comics. It's ignorant to all - the fans, the creators and the potential of both.

And yet, people still buy their books.

Increasingly fewer of us. And that means those buying them are buying increasingly more books per person. One wonders at what point they will reach a tipping point where the customers' pocket books can no longer handle the endless expansion.

RoosterHardwood
Opera Singer

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Cock of the Walk

Postby RoosterHardwood » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:25 pm

DC's path is clear.

Find out who will eventually be the one guy buying two hundred thousand copies of all their books and begin marketing solely to him.

"John Ericson of Mobile, Alabama! You will never believe what Wonder Woman does in this week's issue! Yes, you specifically!"

S.F. Jude Terror likes this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand