Advertisement

C2E2: Original Sin Will Reveal Angela is Thor and Loki's Sister

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Take that, Todd McFarlane!

Source: CosmicBookNews

When Brian Bendis and Neil Gaiman first brought Angela, a character originally created for Gaiman's run on Todd McFarlane's Spawn, into the Marvel Universe, many industry analysts feared that the character served no purpose other than to antagonize McFarlane, who lost her rights in a lawsuit to Gaiman.

That's all still true.

However, Marvel appears to be making the best of the situation, as the publisher revealed at C2E2 today that Angela is actually a daughter of Odin, which makes her the sister of Thor and Loki. This will be revealed to the Marvel Universe as part of the five issue miniseries Original Sin - Thor and Loki: The Tenth Realm, which will also be known by the variant numbering scheme of Original Sin #5.1-5.5. Editor Nick Lowe lied that this has always been the plan since they first thought of bringing Angela in.

Jason Aaron, Al Ewing, Simone Bianchi, and Lee Garbett will serve as the creative team, but the real credit needs to go to the team of mathematicians who will need to be on hand to sort out all this ridiculous alternate decimal numbering that Axel Alonso claimed is easy to understand.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 390 posts

Re: C2E2: Original Sin Will Reveal Angela is Thor and Loki's

Postby Draco x » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:03 am

I really hope that reveal turns out to be fake as the premise has shoe-horned levels of stupidity written all over it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoosterHardwood
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: Cock of the Walk

Postby RoosterHardwood » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:35 am

Also I heard Kitty Pryde was roomies with Atom Eve in community college.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby TimH » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:55 am

My genealogy book is spouting black smoke on this one.

Because Thor and Loki aren't really brothers... wasn't that like the entire theme of the first Thor movie?

Thor: Fah-thuh, Low-ki, mine perfidious braw-thaw, seeks to make snog with fair Angelina, our shared sister.

Odin: My dearest boy, my favored son, Thor, we are the GODS, beloved of man, up-holders of the sacred order. You call your sweet sister, fair Angelina, shared? Then, share her, my boy! Are we not gods? Is the Lady Sif not also your kinswoman? Beside, Frig isn't your mother, and even Stan Lee followed that part of the myth.

Loki: What Father is saying, dear brother, is that if fair Angelina isn't half frost-giant, then you have nothing on me. Not that I'd even care to begin with. Because the nature of evil is not to fear calling one's sister really hot.

HNutz likes this post.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:59 am

:smt011

This reeks of editorial mandate. And this number bullshit is getting out of hand. Why not just have this be it's own mini?.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 am

I read this yesterday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014 ... s/8188065/

Thor and Loki are going to be adding to their very complicated family tree.

The Marvel Comics event series Original Sin unleashes various significant secrets following the murder of the omniscient Uatu the Watcher when it begins in May. And in July, the god of thunder and his trickster brother learn they have a connection to a sister neither one knew they had in the 5-issue Marvel Comics tie-in miniseries Thor & Loki: The 10th Realm.

The woman in question: None other than the female cosmic warrior Angela, the daughter Odin believed he'd lost forever.

Written by Jason Aaron (Thor: God of Thunder) and Al Ewing (Loki: Agent of Asgard), the miniseries also reveals the presence of a 10th Realm in addition to the fabled Nine Realms of Asgard (including Earth, aka Midgard). This world was lost to history but Ewing teases that all will come to light about the land, "everything from their moral philosophy, which is a whole universe away from Asgard's, to the bloody history Odin chose to hide for countless eons.

"Readers will get the full guided tour of this strange new world," Ewing adds, "even as three members of Marvel's most destructively dysfunctional family rampage their way across it. Hopefully there'll be something left of it — and the rest of the universe — when the dust finally settles."

Angela herself has had a complex history, even outside of comics. Created in 1993 by writer Neil Gaiman and artist Todd McFarlane for a supporting role in McFarlane's Image Comics series Spawn, Angela became a popular character and was part of a legal battle between her creators. Ultimately the rights went to Gaiman, who gave Marvel his blessing to use her.

She was reintroduced last year in the final issue of Age of Ultron, appearing out of nowhere in space, and has recently been a part of the core group of Brian Michael Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy series.

Angela's already a little irked that she's been trapped in a foreign cosmos for a while now, so this new information might really send her over the edge.

"You'd think getting the chance to go home at last might be a good thing, but there are good reasons why she might not be best pleased to have Odin for a father," Ewing says. "You'll need to pick up the book to find out what those reasons might be, but let's just say it might have been better if she'd never found her way home."

Also, Thor and Loki have enough tension in their sibling rivalry — is three going to be a crowd in that tenuous family dynamic?

The twosome are on the case to find out all the info about Odin banishing an entire realm to hide this other offspring of his, yet it's debatable that they can keep it together long enough to solve these mysteries. Loki may just return to his treacherous ways at the worst possible moment, according to Ewing.

"They've been getting on much better of late," he says. "Since Loki's resurrection, they've been acting like true brothers. But even brothers occasionally have a falling-out, and this might be the one to end them all."

Ewing admits that the identity of Angela's mother will be revealed fairly early, though how she ended up in the 10th Realm in the first place is "a lot more meaty, and it'll be keeping readers guessing for a little while yet."

CrazyScarecrow
SUSHI FISH

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Mr. CrazyScarecrow to you!
Formerly: Jonathan Crane

Postby CrazyScarecrow » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:31 am

The numbering overly bothers me.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 721 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:35 am

... of course she is. :roll:

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:40 am

Draco x wrote:I really hope that reveal turns out to be fake as the premise has shoe-horned levels of stupidity written all over it.

Either way, it's a pretty big shark they're jumping.

Anyway, it shows that this isn't THE Angela as created by Gaiman and McFarland who has existed for 20 years, just AN Angela in name only

Draco x likes this post.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:45 am

Lord Ice wrote:
Either way, it's a pretty big shark they're jumping.

Anyway, it shows that this isn't THE Angela as created by Gaiman and McFarland who has existed for 20 years, just AN Angela in name only

According to numerous Outhousers - that's supposed to be DC's shtick only.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:56 am

Not that I've been following anything Original Sin related, but is the premise of this mega-event to just add about of retcons into Marvel Continuity?

Because "LOOK AT THE STORY WE NEVER KNEW HAPPENED BEFORE AND TOTALLY CONTRADICTS STORIES WE'VE TOLD IN THE PAST" is getting really old.

2 people like this post.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:59 am

Well, Ewing's Loki and Aaron's Thor are both amazing books, so I'm looking forward to this a great deal. I actually think the pitch sounds pretty clever as well.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:45 am

nietoperz wrote:Well, Ewing's Loki and Aaron's Thor are both amazing books, so I'm looking forward to this a great deal. I actually think the pitch sounds pretty clever as well.

I agree. I actually like this idea. I LOVE it if it ends up giving Angea's outfit some form of Simonson-ian updating. It certainly sounds like a shitload better/more interesting/less insulting story idea than "the spider bit somebody else too", "Tony is partly responsible for the gamma bomb", "this is why Mrs. Murdock left home to join the convent", or "Reed & Johnny have been keeping a secret about Johnny screwing up changing Ben back to human form".

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:11 am

chap22 wrote:I agree. I actually like this idea. I LOVE it if it ends up giving Angea's outfit some form of Simonson-ian updating. It certainly sounds like a shitload better/more interesting/less insulting story idea than "the spider bit somebody else too", "Tony is partly responsible for the gamma bomb", "this is why Mrs. Murdock left home to join the convent", or "Reed & Johnny have been keeping a secret about Johnny screwing up changing Ben back to human form".

Oh, absolutely. Not one of those three ideas really fill me with anticipation (though I trust Waid to deliver the goods as far as DD is concerned).

Worse still, by the way, is the idea that Ben Grimm is going to become a murderer. I think that's about the most asinine thing I've heard in one hell of a long time.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:40 am

Eh. I guess I've heard worse.

Draco x likes this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand