Advertisement

Cable And X-Force #9 (These aren't the droids Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Cable And X-Force #9 (These aren't the droids Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:05 am

Frank Tieri steps in for a fill-in issue, and whilst I generally hate fill-in issues, this one works pretty well. This is because it’s a story not about Cable and the rest of X-Force, but instead about Hope and the Uncanny Avengers. Hope decides to escape from her foster parents and go look for Cable, but of course she’s stopped in her tracks by Captain America, Rogue and Havok. Yep, it’s more Summers family drama!

The dialogue in this issue was very strong, and it was very cool to get a demonstration of how intelligent Hope is. Before this confrontation even happens, she goes to prison and borrows the powers of both Purple Girl (and man, Tieri really added another layer of fucked-up to the Purple Man with his serial rapist tendencies) and Lady Mastermind. Not the one who’s with the Brotherhood at the moment, the other one. She uses these powers to pit Havok and Cap against eachother, and then to make her escape. It was very well-done, and I found it interesting how both Cap and Havok acknowledged that what they said under ‘purple control’ had a ring of truth to it.

I really like Hope as a character, and I’m glad that she’s getting some focus here, it felt odd that she was so central to AvX but then kind of dropped off the grid in this title. So yeah, a fill-in, but a good one, Tieri is a writer I have a lot of time for, and he fit into the tone Hopeless has established nicely. Larroca’s art was very good as always, but did anyone else think he drew Rogue’s fringe really strangely? It was all spiked like something from anime!

Advertisement

Trouble821
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Cable And X-Force #9 (These aren't the droids Spoilers)

Postby Trouble821 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Also the way rouge talked, with the southern accent. Is that a usual way her character is written?

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 325 posts

Re: Cable And X-Force #9 (These aren't the droids Spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 pm

Good review as usual, Punchy.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand