Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Avengers#1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 20, 2010 9:20 pm

AMS wrote:This is a very accurate post, please read it and understand that Eli Katz is right.

I have come to that conclusion, but that was some time last year... oh yeah, I remember now, it was when he was like the only rational person involved in the awards nomination process...

Advertisement

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Fri May 21, 2010 9:39 am

Avengers #1
Solid stuff, I really enjoyed. Bendis owned JRJR Did great stuff on art overall really liked it.

8.5/10

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 178 posts

Postby doombug » Fri May 21, 2010 10:46 am

not getting to the shop until next weekend sadly.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri May 21, 2010 2:48 pm

I haven't read an Avengers book since Civil War, and I haven't read any Marvel books regularly since the beginning of Secret Invasion. I am out of the loop when it comes to Marvel and superheroes in general, and I have very little interest in men-in-tights stories.

So I picked up this book with very low expectations, thinking that maybe I'd see a few good action sequences by John Romita, Jr. But boy, oh boy, did I love this book. The intros were brief and to the point, the new team was assembled quickly, and the action kicked in fast. I loved Kang's intro. I loved Thor's reaction to Kang. And I loved the uncomfortable and often amusing interactions between the characters. The exchanges between Tony ad Steve were spot on, and the joking between Spidey and Clint were very amusing. I look forward to these two guys verbally sparring with each other throughout this book.

But what I loved most -- what totally pushed this book over the edge for me -- was the final page. Wow, what a great cliffhanger. This is what superhero books are supposed to be about. Great action, great moments between much-loved characters, followed by a serious "holy shit" final panel that makes you desperate to see what happens next month. I'm definitely buying issue 2!

As for Romita's art, it was solid as always. He did a good job of illustrating five or six characters in a single panel. My only complaint was that he made Steve look a little young.

Anyway, based on this opening, the new Avengers book promises to rock.

Story: 9
Art: 8.5

Overall: 8.75

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm

close the thread, Eli wins.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri May 21, 2010 3:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:close the thread, Eli wins.

Thanks! :D

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Yay, I don't have to bother typing anything up!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Yay, I don't have to bother typing anything up!

dammit, get to work bitch (or you know, give me that Other Lives review!)

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri May 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Does anyone know how long JRJR is planning to stay on this book? Is it one arc? Several arcs? It sure would be nice if he worked on a book for several years.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Fri May 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Avengers #1 Review

I've been slacking hardcore with this group but i have some free time tonight so i'll try and catch up. I'll start with my pick for this week and although I'm glad I picked it bc it was good, it was a pretty safe pick and next time i'll be a bit more daring with my selection. This was very lite on the action but it did a nice job of setting up the new status quo. Spidey's parts were the highlight for me as well as Thor apologizing for not knowing who bucky was. Nice comedic stuff in there. I haven't been keeping up with wonder man but if he goes bad that could be cool. Kang is a nice Avengers villain so seeing him was a good thing and the story he brought back looks super interesting. Perhaps seeing the avengers kids in the future is gonna be fun. I could do without more ultron as I feel he's been done to death but whatever. The last page reveal of the Hulk being the big bad was a nice touch. I don't know which hulk that is but the Hulk has always worked better for me as a bad guy. He's too uber-powerful to be good. Bendis does the usual Bendis-speak at times but i've always been fine with that so no complaints from me. JRjr is a favorite of mine and I love his Thor and Spidey the best.

I'm excited to see what stories Bendis has in store for us but I must say this is a promising start and hopefully we get to see some fighting next issues!

Story 8.75

Art 8.75

Overall 8.75

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 pm

WOW what a convoluted piece of shit.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 21, 2010 10:26 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:WOW what a convoluted piece of shit.

What a horrible thing to say about Chubbles' review.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Fri May 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Let's start this by saying I've been a Bendis fan for years, so this review might be a little biased.

Bendis does a good job here. Starting with the first two pages he begins the set-up of the story that immediately makes you want to see what is happening. There are a couple of moments of Bendis-speak, but he seems to be trying to keep it to a minimum. He keeps the story rolling along, mixing dialog and action that culminates in an absolutely riveting last page that demands that I pick up the next issue.

Unfortunately, JRJr's art is not quite up the task of keeping pace with the story. While the action scenes are great, his renditions of the character are weak and sometimes quite strange. He manages to get Spider-Man right, but every body else looks too stiff and posed. And unfortunately, his versions of Spider-Woman and Iron Man (in armor) look positively ugly. Because I think he's a great artist, perhaps it's the inker who's a poor fit for this art. This would have been a much better comic with somebody else handling the art duties.

Writing 8
Art 6
Total 7

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri May 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Going to the LCS tomorrow.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 21, 2010 10:34 pm

um... I don't know that there was ever a better inker than Jansen, ever! My guess would be those that aren't digging it, just don't dig JRJR's new style. I can understand the Spider-Woman complaints - but anyone who has ever seen what a woman's hair does in real life, knows that she would look like this... I found it funny cause it was kind of spot on!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand