Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Avengers#1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Fri May 21, 2010 10:36 pm

thefourthman wrote:um... I don't know that there was ever a better inker than Jansen, ever! My guess would be those that aren't digging it, just don't dig JRJR's new style. I can understand the Spider-Woman complaints - but anyone who has ever seen what a woman's hair does in real life, knows that she would look like this... I found it funny cause it was kind of spot on!

That might be it. I'm not fond of too much realism in my comic book art. That's why I absolutely despise Alex Ross.

It's sad. I love this grouping of characters but wish Immonnen was working on this title.

Advertisement

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:What a horrible thing to say about Chubbles' review.

:cry:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Chubbles wrote::cry:

I don't know what you are frowning at me for, Yoni said it. I was defending you!

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri May 21, 2010 11:01 pm

thefourthman wrote:I don't know what you are frowning at me for, Yoni said it. I was defending you!

i'm just looking for a shoulder to cry on you big oaf

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Chubbles wrote:i'm just looking for a shoulder to cry on you big oaf

oh... um... hey Starlord...

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat May 22, 2010 12:07 am

thefourthman wrote:oh... um... hey Starlord...

Have no fear! Captain Queer is here!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat May 22, 2010 12:10 am

starlord wrote:Have no fear! Captain Queer is here!

:lol:

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sat May 22, 2010 12:12 am

Eli Katz wrote::lol:

I'm thinking it may be my new sig if I can find somebody to do it for me. :-D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 22, 2010 12:14 am

starlord wrote:I'm thinking it may be my new sig if I can find somebody to do it for me. :-D

sorry, even at this advanced state of celibacy, I am only comfortable with heterosexual intercourse.... oh you meant a sig... nevermind. :oops:

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sat May 22, 2010 12:21 am

starlord wrote:I'm thinking it may be my new sig if I can find somebody to do it for me. :-D

This needs to be your avatar for sure!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sat May 22, 2010 12:22 am

thefourthman wrote:sorry, even at this advanced state of celibacy, I am only comfortable with heterosexual intercourse.... oh you meant a sig... nevermind. :oops:

If you saw Brian all dressed in hot pink tights, you'd go for it. Admit it! You couldn't resist.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Sat May 22, 2010 12:24 am

Eli Katz wrote:If you saw Brian all dressed in hot pink tights, you'd go for it. Admit it! You couldn't resist.

Are you speaking from personal experience?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sat May 22, 2010 12:24 am

Eli Katz wrote:If you saw Brian all dressed in hot pink tights, you'd go for it. Admit it! You couldn't resist.

dear lord, even Bruce Vilanche would run the other way... and I'm pretty sure he's not that picky.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat May 22, 2010 2:06 am

thefourthman wrote:What a horrible thing to say about Chubbles' review.

you probably wont like my review. I thought this comic was bad from top to bottom, and I'm a JrJr fan.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 161 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat May 22, 2010 3:46 am

OK this was probably my most anticipated comic of the week. I was a happy customer of Bendis's New/Mighty/Dark Reign era and I was curious to see how the shift in the status quo would give us the more traditional Avengers book that had been seemingly replaced with everything that followed Disassembled.

I definitely am curious of how this would go but I confess what I'm more excited about is next weeks Secret Avengers book. Using Mighty as a benchmark for Bendis's "traditional" superhero formula I cant say i was expecting something that would blow me away. Well I was right about one thing, I wasnt blown away but I confess i was pleasantly surprised. This was a lot better than I was expecting.

First of all, we have the story. It plants the seeds of a big time traveling story and Kang is in the thick of it. As a Kang fan this was basically a free free point towards the book just for adding a personal favourite of mine. Even moreso when you have a few moments of brief dialog that explains just who he is. Kang in his own words is a Time Warrior with access to every weapon ever created thanks to his mastery of time travel. According to Steve Rogers he's a Time Terrorist.

Regardless of this, Kang starts planting the first seeds of this story by painting the bleak future depicted in the Next Avengers DVD movie where Ultron killed them all and their kids defeated Ultron. Only after that, they went rogue and simply took over where Ultron left off, or so Kang says...you can never trust a villain even when they claim they have the best of intentions.

So Kang leave the Avengers with a warning and leaves them to find a way into the future by themselves...only to meet with a Hulk who seems to be a LOT like the Maestro...but it could also be the Hulk from Next Avengers along with another character who I have NO idea who it is.

On paper it reads a lot like a classic Avengers tale, right? Time travel, a team assembling complete with the big 3 (Iron Man, Captain America (Bucky-Cap this time) and Iron man, a major threat to kick things off, a classic Avengers villain, mystery, intrigue etc. It truly IS the Avengers. Not the New, Mighty or Dark but THE Avengers. With a Wolverine and Spidey to boot.

But the Bendis-style dialog, which either makes or breaks his books is the one weak link of the story. Other times it is used to perfection, other times like this it really misses the mark at times. Most notably the huge double page with the one-word replies and a REALLY awkward convo between Steve Rogers and Wonder Man or Bucky's "hey" moment with Thor.. It can flow really well and then get that odd bit of dialog that makes everything grind unsteadily. It still made it enough for me NOT to be disappointed but I definitely felt that awkwardness at times.

Art? I like JRJR when he's on his A-game. This wasnt it, but the interiors for the most part were WAY better than his cover. Parts of the art looked nice while other sections didnt seem of the same caliber. It really had an inconsistency at times. But after looking at the cover to #4 I'm hoping he's working off some rust. JRJR still draws a damn fine Thor though.

My rating:
Story: 7
Art: 7

Overall: 7

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand