Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Avengers#1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 22, 2010 8:01 am

starlord wrote:Have no fear! Captain Queer is here!

Wow, that's gayer than Britain's rainbow-powered Olympics mascots!

Advertisement

Porcelain38
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Staff Writer.

Postby Porcelain38 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:44 am

Quick Review:

I enjoyed this issue more than i thought i would. I liked the team that's been put together. Some of the Bendis-speak got on my nerves ( Hawkeye declaring "Today I Am Hawkeye), but Thor not knowing who Bucky was made me chuckle.

There's 2 two minor and 1 major problem i had over all.

1.) Wonderman...why would Wonderman say no to Steve Rogers? That seems like terrible characterization for Simon

2.) Kang...Who honestly likes Kang? Seriously? In this new day and age and the first horse out of the gate is Kang? I mean :roll:

3.) The Next Avengers kids. Without seeing the movie I had no clue who these kids were or why that last page was so menacing. These are the Avengers...they take down the Hulk at least once a year, so why is this guy so speical?

I didn't have a problem with JRjr's artwork like somepeople did.

Story: 6
Art: 7

Overall: 6.5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 am

If it's Maestro, as I suspect, then he is a formidable threat.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 22, 2010 9:17 am

thefourthman wrote:If it's Maestro, as I suspect, then he is a formidable threat.

Who's Maestro, I thought that was the blue dude in Sparta USA?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 22, 2010 9:26 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Who's Maestro, I thought that was the blue dude in Sparta USA?

someone more versed in Hulk will have to explain it, but he is like the Hulk who took over the world.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 270 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat May 22, 2010 10:10 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Who's Maestro, I thought that was the blue dude in Sparta USA?

He was introduced in Future Imperfect if I am not mistaken, which was written by Peter David and illustrated by Perez I want to say. The Hulk is transported to a future where another version of himself (The Maestro) has killed all the heroes in the world and now rules it with an iron fist. He is totally insane, super strong and complete genius so he is very formidable, the Hulk was unable to beat him and only was able to succeed by using a time machine to send him back to Gamma bomb ground zero. The mini has a cool spread where the Maestro has a war room of all the heroes trophies, like Wolverines skeleton, Cap's shield etc...

Anyways do to the fact that the Maestro has already killed all the heroes once, and is stronger than the average hulk and also smarter, I would say that he is a viable threat for the Avengers.

Also I just rememberd, he also has Thor's hammer in his trophy room as well, but he was not able to lift it.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 270 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat May 22, 2010 10:11 am

Here is a scan of his trophy room

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sat May 22, 2010 10:22 am

AMS wrote:Here is a scan of his trophy room

I loved this panel when I was younger.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat May 22, 2010 3:37 pm

did we really all read the same comic? I'm not even trying to hate on bendis or JrJr I really just thought this was a horrible pile of shit. My review later tonight will be a true tribute to the old man.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat May 22, 2010 3:43 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:did we really all read the same comic? I'm not even trying to hate on bendis or JrJr I really just thought this was a horrible pile of shit. My review later tonight will be a true tribute to the old man.

I liked it, it was fun. :smt102
...but i also secretly like Ke$ha so i have no credibility.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat May 22, 2010 3:50 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I liked it, it was fun. :smt102
...but i also secretly like Ke$ha so i have no credibility.

yeah that pretty much ruins your reputation. I'm telling your band mates.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Sat May 22, 2010 4:12 pm

AMS wrote:Here is a scan of his trophy room

Makes me want to read that.

I bought this AND Next Avengers. I've been meaning to watch it anyways. Review tomorrow

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Avengers #1 - 'Next Avengers' - Bendis, Romita Jnr, Janson and White

Story - So, this bold new relaunch of the Avengers, it's kind of just the same old thing. If you've been following Bendis' take on Earth's Mightiest Heroes for the past few years, this new #1 is nothing new. But since I've loved what Bendis has been doing, then I'm fine with that.

With Avengers #1s, you kind of expect some kind of big shake-up, some big new reason for a team to be formed, but here, you just get Steve Rogers deciding who he wants. The team is pretty much the same characters we've been following throughout New and Mighty over the years, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Spider-Woman, Bucky Cap, Clint Barton, Iron Man. The only character who hasn't been part of a Bendis-Avengers team before is Thor. I think this is a good thing. Some fans have been concerned that the 'Heroic Age' was going to be a boring old reversion to status-quo, but thankfully, this new team is a mixture of both classic Avengers elements and post-Disassembled modern stuff. So yes, while Clint Barton is now back to being Hawkeye and Thor is back on the team, Spider-Man and Wolverine aren't disappearing anytime soon, and the relationship between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers is still fractious. I've always maintained that Bendis' Avengers had more in common with the classic book that it's detractor's thought, and I think I'm right. If people still have a problem with Wolverine being an Avenger, they need to get over it, it's been established. I am slightly disappointed that Luke Cage isn't in this book, but his involvement in New Avengers makes up for it. I can't go without my monthly dose of Bendis/Cage man-love!

Of course, the Avengers is about more than the line-up, they need foes, they need to fight the foes that no single hero could withstand! And with that, we have Kang! I like that Bendis is sort of going out of his comfort zone here and using a cosmic, time-travel villain. He's more than just Ninjas and the Hood, and his use of Kang proves it. And it's just like Bendis to look at time-travelling villains and finding an angle nobody else would have considered, such as his use of a doomsday weapon that Tony Stark hasn't even invented yet. Yet Kang isn't even the villain here, he's come to warn our heroes that their future children are going to destroy the timestream. And Bendis hasn't just used any children, he's using the characters from the Marvel Animated Feature Next Avengers. I haven't seen the movie, but I will do so after reading this issue, so that's one solid success here. I'm a sucker for time-travel stories, and with Bendis using pre-established characters and even deconstructing ideas about the mechanics of it, I can't wait to see how it all unravels. It's bound to be different than any other Kang story I've read.

This was another very good instalment of Bendis' Avengers epic. It's not a revolution in superhero comics, and if you've hated what he's been doing with the books, then you'll probably still hate this, all of his dialogue tics are still present. Bendis is a love it or hate it creator, and this issue isn't going to change that, no matter how far he steps out of his comfort zone or how many classic Avengers he uses. But for me, a man who falls firmly in the 'love it' camp, I was very pleased with this issue. It didn't take away from what I've enjoyed about Bendis' run on the Avengers so far, it didn't go back to the past, it's still very much a forward-moving train, and I'm willing to stick on it right until the last stop.

Art - John Romita Jnr is, well, he's John Romita Jnr. If you don't already know what you think of his art, then you haven't read nearly enough Marvel comics. I for one like his style a lot, and feel he's a good fit for this book. It was fun to see him return to drawing so many characters he's worked on in the past (Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine) but to have them all together. In this issue he nails both facial expressions (in the 2-page spread of character reactions) and balls-out action when Thor slams into Kang. JRjr is THE Marvel artist, and it's only fitting he's drawing THE Marvel comic.

Best Line - With Bendis, it's almost always more than one line, so this week I present 'Best Dialogue Exchange'!

Spider-Man: Yesterday you were Ronin, today you're Hawkeye

Hawkeye: Would you like me to make a proclamation?

Spider-Man: I think I would

Hawkeye: Today... I am Hawkeye

Spider-Man: Thank You.

8/10

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat May 22, 2010 4:20 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:did we really all read the same comic? I'm not even trying to hate on bendis or JrJr I really just thought this was a horrible pile of shit. My review later tonight will be a true tribute to the old man.

Even though I like the book, I'm looking forward to reading a negative review.

skywatcher
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby skywatcher » Sat May 22, 2010 5:11 pm

AMS wrote: he also has Thor's hammer in his trophy room as well, but he was not able to lift it.

So how did he get it into his trophy room? With a "worthy" Forklift Truck? :D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand