Advertisement

Call for Reviews - Siege: Secret Warriors

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:And it's a whole Dollar!
I mean it's the week after FCBD, they should have just released it this week for free! I bet War of the Supermen #0 is better.

Let's talk about the hot FCBD books to snag. I want 100 War Machine Heroclixes, and I've got the disguises to get them!

Let's get all the Owlys we can and not give them to yoni.

Advertisement

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm pretentious? What? :?

It's okay if you're unhappy with the pick.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I'm pretentious? What? :?

Yeah I know, it didn't make any sense to me either.

:lol:

I'm 100% A-OK with your pick. Good choice.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I'm pretentious? What? :?

Pssst, they're probably mocking me.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Yeah I know, it didn't make any sense to me either.

:lol:

I'm 100% A-OK with your pick. Good choice.

Oh nice one :lol:

And, cool. I don't want to stir up any trouble.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Siege: Secret Warriors

A decent ish for a tie-in. Some nice moments for just your standard tie-in fare. I thought the Fury flask was funny and him and Cap interacting was cool to me.

Did I miss why Alex is pissed at the president? Oh well. The letter was ok. Thats some shitty security Obama has.

The art is defintely not my favorite. Didn'tlike it when he did the second SW arc,and I sure don't like it now.

This was better than Spider-Man, but worse than Loki, which was an excellent character piece on Loki and it felt relevant, which this could be skipable

Story 7
Art 5

Overall 6

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:52 am

Siege: Secret Warriors - 'Siege' - Hickman, Vitti and Villarrubia

Story - This week was a bumper one for Secret Warriors fans, not only did we get the latest regular issue, the excellent continuation of the 'Wake The Beast' storyline, but we also get this nice little extra, a one-shot that goes into more detail about the Secret Warriors' involvement in Marvel's mega-event du jour, Siege.

Well, not that much more detail. But it was still enjoyable.

This one-shot is pretty much only concerned with 2 characters, Alex aka Phobos, and Nick Fury. It makes sense that these are the characters that Hickman would choose to focus on, Nick has his enmity with Norman, and Alex's dad, Ares was ripped in half by The Sentry in Siege #2. The issue begins with Alex discovering this information, we get a heart-felt flashback to the Oeming Ares mini, and then Alex goes to speak to the President. I really enjoyed these scenes. It made sense that the Secret Service agents wouldn't know what to do when faced by a little kid, what makes this God Of Fear so fearsome is that he looks so innocent, and when he proceeds to slaughter Agents without impunity, you really see that he is his father's son. He doesn't get to kill Obama, but he leaves a strongly worded letter of complaint, and it's a good insight into his character. I've talked before, most notably in my review of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 that Hickman often ignores character at the expense of big picture stuff, but this one-shot was all about character for me.

Nick's stuff is more simple, he enters into more dick-swinging with Norman Osborn, and then heads into Asgard for the battle. You've got to hand it to Bendis for making the centre-piece of Siege a massive free for all of indeterminate length amid ruins, it allows for plenty of tie-ins to show stories that are happening in the brawl. Here, we get Nick and Cap having a bit of fun. It may seem a little odd to have more light-hearted moments going on in the middle of Siege, but it fits Nick's character, he's just a bad-ass, and he does bad-ass things like take a break for some liquor. He's the baddest mother-fucker on the planet under Hickman's pen, and he shows it well here.

Overall, this was a nice little diversion from the heady 'Wake The Beast' storyline, it built up some characterisation for Phobos, had some bad-ass Nick Fury, and whet my appetite for the delayed Siege #4. Yes, it was hardly essential, and it didn't really add anything to the mythos, but with the series' running length being cut ever shorter by Hickman, we need all the Secret Warriors we can get. Would I have liked something with more substance? Probably yes, but you can't fault this issue, as it's highly enjoyable, and does exactly what all tie-ins should do, support the main story, and not take away from it.

Art - Vitti is no stranger to the world of Secret Warriors, having illustrated the 'God of War, God Of Fear' storyline. His takes on Phobos and Nick are strong, but I feel that when we enter the more brightly coloured Siege battle-scenes, it looks a little off. But he does draw the best mass kid-perpetrated carnage since John Romita Jnr in Kick-Ass. If Caselli ever needs a break again, Vitti is definitely the go-to guy.

Best Line - 'And what would Ares, God of War. do with that answer?'

7/10

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:06 pm

I might skip next week since it will be in my box at the end of may.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 pm

We should dedicate next week to Old Man :cry:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:We should dedicate next week to Old Man :cry:

I'm so sad about that.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:We should dedicate next week to Old Man :cry:

Is a book about zombies eating the brains of the dead the best way to remember someone who only just died? Maybe wait for the week after, but he should be remembered here, he was an active and important RG member.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:16 pm

Although from his posts, Old Man would probably think it was funny using a Zombie book to remember him, so who knows. Starlord should decide.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:20 pm

wait? what? someone explain the last three posts to me!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum, Fourthy, but Old Man passed away suddenly this morning while mowing his lawn. It's been a pretty big shock for all of us who hang around together.

I think dedicating a zombie book in Old Man's name would make him laugh, so it's perfect.

Also, my friends and I are planning on getting together probably next weekend for a bonfire and beers in his memory. We're each bringing a Bendis comic to burn in his honor. We figured he'd like that.

There's going to be a huge hole this Wednesday at the table in the shop where we all gather to chat and tease each other.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Wow, I missed the sticky in the news stand. it makes sense now, but I never look up top here unless I am going to vote in one of them poll thingies. I looked in the asylum after I saw the posts here. Thanks for pointing it out Starlord. Is there anything any of us can do?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand