Advertisement

Call for Reviews: S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I'm back!

This thing is so much faster than Windows Vista.

7?

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:01 pm

That's what she said...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:05 pm

thefourthman wrote:7?

Yep, I've heard good things about it from the young people, plus I constantly had freeze-ups and crashes with Vista. It dragged the system for stupid stuff too. and I never figured out how to make it run faster.

Klown wrote:

That's what she said...

The only thing Vista did well was suck, she said that too.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 pm

If I can remember to take SHIELD #2 to the shop with me tomorrow, I'll write up a review then.

Hmm...the lesbian sleaze is moving on eBay tonight! :smt110

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:29 pm

So, apparently and to my surprise, Marvel has quite a complicated history with Nathaniel Richards (from the '90s I assume).

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:28 am

Spicy Dick wrote:The only thing Vista did well was suck, she said that too.

7's been okay so far. I have had a few freeze ups, but it lets you know what is going on and has corrected every last one, quickly. And they are much less frequent now and usually have to do with me having four hundred applications running at once.

Vista was a travesty. I actually think it was worse than ME and Bill Gates should pay me a couple hundred dollars for the two years I was stuck with that shit.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 821 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 am

Global projections of ideology? Homogeneous liberal democracies? Wut? If the murky art gave me any clue who was saying these things, I would probably understand what was going on, but since it doesn't, I have to make assumptions. Such phrases are obviously ripped right from a future dystopia, so I would like to think they are the words of the big villain of this series, but in today's world, those just might be the ideals of the hero. I really should have been born five or six decades ago, when men were men and liberals were exposed as the pinkos they are.

In any case, SHIELD #2 comes off a huge wave of momentum from its first issue, and comes to a screeching halt at the beginning of this book. Between the scary Obama campaign promises in the dark, and the following sado-masochism scene with Nostradamus, the first few pages of this book left me asking, "wtf?"

Fortunately, it picks up after that, switching between action as Agents Stark and Richards battle Leonid's father while Leonardo Da Vinci spits out pages worth of exposition to Leonid. As the opening with Nostradamus implies, this book is forward looking, pointing to things that will happen in future issues, and in that it does a fine job, setting up a confrontation between DaVinci and the people in the city, as well as the eventual return of Leonid's father as, presumably, some kind of villain, though he will be the hero to me if he is fighting global projections of liberal ideology.

The art here, other then the purposely murky first page, continues to deliver, though the night-time setting and general dark color tones dragged it down a bit, preventing the novelty of the renaissance tech from shining like it did last issue. The page of dialog didn't bother me as it did some reviewers, but overall the expositionary techniques here were all a little bit heavy handed, affecting the immersion in the story.

After the incredible first issue, it was almost impossible for this book to live up to the hype. However, it does a fine job of keeping me waiting for the next issue, and excited about the resolution to some of the plotlines, provided the resolution doesn't piss me off.

Story: 7
Art: 7.5
Overall: 7.25
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:49 am

what the hell is going on?
First, Jude doesn't see the liberal propaganda in Sparta and then he likes the second issue of SHIELD?
What have we done to the poor bastard?
Next thing you know, he will be admitting that X-Men Forever is uncreative drivel.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:51 am

thefourthman wrote:what the hell is going on?
First, Jude doesn't see the liberal propaganda in Sparta and then he likes the second issue of SHIELD?
What have we done to the poor bastard?
Next thing you know, he will be admitting that X-Men Forever is uncreative drivel.

I saw the liberal propaganda here, I just have to believe it is dystopian villainy and will be defeated by the end of the storyline. The implications of my being wrong there might just push me over the edge.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:58 am

Jude Terror wrote:I saw the liberal propaganda here, I just have to believe it is dystopian villainy and will be defeated by the end of the storyline. The implications of my being wrong there might just push me over the edge.

*wonders if Jude has ever read a book by Hickman before he came to Marvel*

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:01 am

thefourthman wrote:*wonders if Jude has ever read a book by Hickman before he came to Marvel*

No I haven't. Are you saying I should drop this then? Because for real, if projecting homogenous liberal ideologies turns out to be a good thing, I will be royally pissed. It doesn't even SOUND like something heroic, does it?

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:02 am

thefourthman wrote:*wonders if Jude has ever read a book by Hickman before he came to Marvel*

Do you really think Jude would read any of Hickman's Marvel books if he had? :lol:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 am

John Snow wrote:Do you really think Jude would read any of Hickman's Marvel books if he had? :lol:

:x Fuck!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:04 am

John Snow wrote:Do you really think Jude would read any of Hickman's Marvel books if he had? :lol:

I think Nightly News might have made him stop reading comics altogether. Although he would probably dig Pax Romana, I mean how more conservative can you get than a world controlled by the Catholic Church
[spoiler]and the fact that such a world is so much more technologically advanced at such an earlier point in history[/spoiler]
would only play to his ego.
Last edited by thefourthman on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 am

Jude Terror wrote:No I haven't. Are you saying I should drop this then? Because for real, if projecting homogenous liberal ideologies turns out to be a good thing, I will be royally pissed. It doesn't even SOUND like something heroic, does it?

I will say this, Nightly News was Politically charged but almost neutral in its execution. Pax Romana could be seen as a conservative fantasy and Transhuman was morally neutral. Hickman has said that he likes to be thought provoking but would like to refrain from creating a political stance one way or the other. You could be right, that may be the way it plays out.

That being said, it is easy to see that his writing has a liberal ideology behind it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand