Advertisement

Call for Reviews: I, Zombie #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri May 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Never ever?

Never.

It impairs your judgement.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 120 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Punchy wrote:Never.

It impairs your judgement.

But it was the X-Men Forever Annual, I had to impair my judgement just to open it. :(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 07, 2010 10:11 pm

Ok, I may have lost this week's book..

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Ok, I may have lost this week's book..

ITT: PUNCHY WAS RIGHT!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 07, 2010 10:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:ITT: PUNCHY WAS RIGHT!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

I didn't have any whisky, I've been getting ready for a dealer thing and there are piles of vintage children's books everywhere waiting for me to move them elsewhere. It's a wall of stacks of books 3 feet high and I think it's in there somewhere. :?

I will need some medicinal spirits when I muster the unction to tote those tomes.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri May 07, 2010 11:12 pm

I have a shit-load of books to buy next week and that is one of the few I hadn't planned on getting. Guess I'm adding it to my list now. :lol:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sat May 08, 2010 3:20 am

Blady hell, you people are killing me here, hopefully I'll get both books next week, when I order my monthly shop.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sat May 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Wow, what a waste of a dollar. I'm very surprised this book is scoring such high reviews from people who generally pan better books. This was one of the most derivative, unoriginal, boring things I've ever read. A hodge-podge of every stereotypical campy "cool" concept smushed together in one smug hipster package. I can't imagine that anyone would take any one of the concepts explored in this book seriously if it weren't for the fact they were presented in a way that screams "I'm too cool for this stuff, but I'm doing it anyway, which actually makes me doubly cool." Hipster logic at it's worst, like wearing a three sizes too small Judas Priest t-shirt with your france pants because Judas Priest are so corny, but since you KNOW they're corny and you're wearing the shirt anyway, you must be on the cutting edge of the hipster elite. This is Scott Pilgrim with absolutely none of the charm, a psuedo-intellectual self-aspiring douchebag's Twilight. I bet people are really proud of themselves for enjoying this. Complete and utter garbage, and invalidates the opinion of anyone who gave this above a 5 but bashes a Marvel or DC book ever again. All of this has been done before, better, and in a fashion that wasn't snobbishly ranking itself too good for the material its parodying.

The art was ok.

Story: 1
Art: 5
Overall: 3

Review dedicated to Old Man, who was always wrong in political threads.

:lol:

Damn, your reviews have been great lately.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 105 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat May 08, 2010 3:19 pm

I went to my local comic shop and picked up my comics, last night. I talked to one of the guys at my shop about crossovers, Vertigo comics and Greg Land. While leaving the shop, I noticed some weird figures outside. They must cut from a southern variation of the same cloth that produced Jude. Anyhoo, I head back home and start reading my comics. My dad opened the door and asked, "What are your reading, son?" I replied, "I, Zombie #1." He asked me, "How is it?" I answered by saying....

7* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat May 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Jude Terror wrote:The art was ok.

You....BASTARD! :evil:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 08, 2010 3:23 pm

GLX wrote:I went to my local comic shop and picked up my comics, last night. I talked to one of the guys at my shop about crossovers, Vertigo comics and Greg Land. While leaving the shop, I noticed some weird figures outside. They must cut from a southern variation of the same cloth that produced Jude. Anyhoo, I head back home and start reading my comics. My dad opened the door and asked, "What are your reading, son?" I replied, "I, Zombie #1." He asked me, "How is it?" I answered by saying....

7* out of 10*

nice, too short though... it should go on for about a thousand more words.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 08, 2010 3:23 pm

in other words, I wish I had thought of it. :cry:

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat May 08, 2010 3:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:in other words, I wish I had thought of it. :cry:

I still remembered his Daytripper review. :( I just can't rant on and on like that. Originally, the review was going to start out like this:

I, Zombie....no. I, GLX, went to my local comic book shop.....

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat May 08, 2010 5:18 pm

I, Zombie #1 - 'Dead To The World' - Roberson and Allred

Story - Has anyone else noticed that Vertigo seems to be going back to it's magic and horror comic roots recently? It kind of got away from them with crime books like Scalped, and whatever the hell genre Y: The Last Man is. But just lately we've been getting back to the magic and horror stuff, The Unwritten, American Vampire, and now I, Zombie. And just like those titles, this is another promising debut issue from the best imprint in comics.

The central premise of I, Zombie is that Gwen Dylan, a Zombie with a difference, eats brains and then has to investigate the deceased's murder alongside her Ghost and Werewolf friends. The Hollywood high concept would be 'Buffy meets Scooby Doo meets the Walking Dead meets Chew meets Being Human meets Scott Pilgrim'. And surprisingly, it works.

This issue is pretty light on action, it mainly sets up the character's and their situations, but I found it engaging. Gwen seems like an interesting character with a past worth exploring. I'm a sucker for Ghosts who are stuck in the past, so Ellie is cool, and we all like to see a hopeless loser guy chase after a girl he loves. Even if that girl is a Zombie and he's a werewolf (sorry, were-terrier). The banter between the characters zings past nicely, and I can see myself enjoying just hanging out with these guys once a month.

Roberson also introduces some subplottish threats, you've got the Vampires who run a paintball game, the mysterious company searching out the undead, and even some ghostly dolls. And of course the mystery of who killed the guy who's brain Gwen eats, and even how she died herself. This issue was only a little taste, but I'm intrigued enough to want to eat a whole brain's worth.

I don't get any criticisms of this being too 'hipsterish' or whatever, it just seems like an interesting concept to me. I didn't detect that much irony here, Roberson seems pretty committed to his vision of what a Zombie is. It may not be as scary as the traditional take, but it's valid, and I liked it.

This is another hit for Vertigo I thinks, it has a strong female protagonist, and what with the current craze for all things horror archetype, this could do really well. This opening issue may be a little light, but for only a dollar, I can accept it.

Art - I think part of what made this book's quirky tone work is the art of Mike Allred. He's just fucking awesome isn't he? I bought Madman for like 2 years despite not knowing what the hell was going on, just to look at his art. His style goes against so many horror conventions, it's bright, with clear linework, and along with the unconventional characters, it's the perfect complement. I hope he sticks around. Accusations of hipster doucheness could become more accurate without an artist of Allred's calibre.

Best Line - 'When the ghost girl thinks you're behind the times, well...'

8/10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Found it!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand