Advertisement

Call for Reviews: I, Zombie #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 pm

I'm too lazy to post my review right now.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I'm too lazy to post my review right now.

ditto

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 44 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sat May 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Jude Terror wrote:This may be true. :lol: Also though, I found this place to be a good source of drama outside the political threads.

Really?

Hmm....
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 205 posts

izombie review!

Postby doombug » Sat May 08, 2010 10:08 pm

izombie #1

Story by Chris Roberson
Art by: Mike Allred

"My old life was over, so I started a new one."

Gwen seems like your average girl at first, works a 9 to 5 kind of job as a grave digger with a crew but she's obviously hiding some secrets from everyone. It's a quirky idea, having a smart zombie who still holds on to to concept of life and doesn't crave brains 24/7. You surround her with other unique takes on classic horror concepts like a retro ghost, Scott aka Spot the weredog, mysterious creatures hunters who may be attached to her past life and a vampire who is up to know good.

Each new character is introduced with only just a few pages each but it's easy to be interested in each one. There are seveal plot threads being juggled at once like the hints of Gwen's previous life as well as Ellie's. Not to mention the consequences of Gwen's brain eating activities which will seem to feed the over all series.

Mike's art is as strong as ever and I really get the sense that they have a ton of issues already in the bag before the release. I really loved his take on Spot the weredog and i'll be curious to see more of the character in the coming issues.

All in all this is a good looking book with an attractive main character and supporting cast.

Story: 8
Art: 9.5

Over all score: 8.5 8)

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 420 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun May 09, 2010 1:50 am

Neither of the local shops had it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 09, 2010 9:31 pm

izombie #1

Still sad about Old Man being bugled off to Jesus, but it was great to see how many people around the world will remember him. I also took it as a reminder that the words you say to someone might be more important than you think at the time, because you never know when someone may come down with a fatal case of mowing the grass, or something equally dire and unexpected. R.I.P. Alan Coil

So, that izombie, eh? Is it a contrivance of kewl thematic material (zombies, hawt vampires gone wild, rhubarb pie) crassly assembled to appeal to an "indie" comics reader, or is it a promising debut for a new Vertigo series by fan-favorite Mike Allred and less well-known (to comics fans) writer Chris Roberson?

Hard to say how the book will hold up if it goes in the direction of the crime-solving mystery like it seems to be, but I think Chris Roberson doesn't deserve the "hipster douchebag" sort of invective that gets thrown around all too often by insecure comics readers, and a lot of craft and hard work went into making the book look so damn good.

This is the writer of among other things, Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love and he and his wife run Monkeybrain Press, specializing in genre fiction and nonfiction genre studies. This isn't some guy who racked up a bunch of student loans for a useless liberal arts degree and then slacked upwards--and for those detractors, one in particular, he also wrote X-Men: The Return for Pocket Books in 2007. He is a well-respected science fiction author whose work has been nominated for many awards, and we are lucky to have him working in comics today.

So kudos to Vertigo for getting such a talent on a monthly book--hell, two talents counting Mike Allred! I don't know if the book is for me or not in the long term, but I'll give the creators the benefit of not pretentiously declaring it a fraud after one issue.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun May 09, 2010 9:38 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:izombie #1

Still sad about Old Man being bugled off to Jesus, but it was great to see how many people around the world will remember him. I also took it as a reminder that the words you say to someone might be more important than you think at the time, because you never know when someone may come down with a fatal case of mowing the grass, or something equally dire and unexpected. R.I.P. Alan Coil

So, that izombie, eh? Is it a contrivance of kewl thematic material (zombies, hawt vampires gone wild, rhubarb pie) crassly assembled to appeal to an "indie" comics reader, or is it a promising debut for a new Vertigo series by fan-favorite Mike Allred and less well-known (to comics fans) writer Chris Roberson?

Hard to say how the book will hold up if it goes in the direction of the crime-solving mystery like it seems to be, but I think Chris Roberson doesn't deserve the "hipster douchebag" sort of invective that gets thrown around all too often by insecure comics readers, and a lot of craft and hard work went into making the book look so damn good.

This is the writer of among other things, Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love and he and his wife run Monkeybrain Press, specializing in genre fiction and nonfiction genre studies. This isn't some guy who racked up a bunch of student loans for a useless liberal arts degree and then slacked upwards--and for those detractors, one in particular, he also wrote X-Men: The Return for Pocket Books in 2007. He is a well-respected science fiction author whose work has been nominated for many awards, and we are lucky to have him working in comics today.

So kudos to Vertigo for getting such a talent on a monthly book--hell, two talents counting Mike Allred! I don't know if the book is for me or not in the long term, but I'll give the creators the benefit of not pretentiously declaring it a fraud after one issue.

Well done!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 09, 2010 9:41 pm

starlord wrote:Well done!

Thanks!

:-)

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 969 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:izombie #1

Haha, defense and self-validation via review! Nice! :P

When you've been around the block like me kid, you learn not to be impressed by anyone who can slap a scoobie doo zombie concept on a sub-par drawing of a a teen grrl. :wink: Been there, done that. :roll:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Haha, defense and self-validation via review! Nice! :P

When you've been around the block like me kid, you learn not to be impressed by anyone who can slap a scoobie doo zombie concept on a sub-par drawing of a a teen grrl. :wink: Been there, done that. :roll:

I've been around several blocks like you. They are wide indeed.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I've been around several blocks like you. They are wide indeed.
:lol:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Jude Terror wrote::lol:

Plus I should get to call you kid, as Old Man has left me in the unfortunate position of elder(ly) review group member. :(

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Plus I should get to call you kid, as Old Man has left me in the unfortunate position of elder(ly) review group member. :(

I could always invite Cat Scratch to join us...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Jude Terror wrote:I could always invite Cat Scratch to join us...

Does he even read comics. :?

As a rule of thumb, new members are always a good thing for the review group! Even...uh..even....catscratch. I guess. To be honest the rule has never been tested like this before.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Sure he reads them. He'll probably be your new best friend,* with his Claremont hating ways. :P

*much to the chagrin of amlah and fourthy.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand