Thursday, June 30, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Where keepin' it real goes wrong."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Captain America #40 Major Spoilers

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KillerShrike

cheese

Postby KillerShrike » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Sharon's fine, the baby's fine. The stabbing scene was just a graphic way to show how important the pregnancy is to the Skull's overall plan for revenge against Cap.

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:58 pm

KillerShrike wrote:Sharon's fine, the baby's fine. The stabbing scene was just a graphic way to show how important the pregnancy is to the Skull's overall plan for revenge against Cap.
Well, now I can't wait to see how bad Sin is gonna get it from daddy over this. :twisted:

Mr. Batman

Postby Mr. Batman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:40 pm

I've heard the ending is brutal, but I never expected anything like this. This is just gruesome

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:35 am

One of the better issues recently.

Hab

Daniel

Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Don't see how this could be any worse than Zoom making Linda have a miscarriage; except for here, you don't know if the baby is dead.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Forbush Man wrote:Don't see how this could be any worse than Zoom making Linda have a miscarriage; except for here, you don't know if the baby is dead.

i didn't like that either. but at least Linda didn't have a knife sticking out of/into her uterus.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Forbush Man wrote:Don't see how this could be any worse than Zoom making Linda have a miscarriage; except for here, you don't know if the baby is dead.

I tend to agree, though Johns did go back and reverse that particular act...

Daniel

Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:24 pm

I don't read the book currently, but from what I have read in the previous issues, Brubaker knows what he is doing. Despicable things have been done and it seems like most of you have faith in him. So wait it out and see what happens. Remember, this is the guy that made an impossible return from death great.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:56 pm

Forbush Man wrote:I don't read the book currently, but from what I have read in the previous issues, Brubaker knows what he is doing. Despicable things have been done and it seems like most of you have faith in him. So wait it out and see what happens. Remember, this is the guy that made an impossible return from death great.

It's just that some forms of violence shouldn't be used simply as thrilling cliffhangers. That's my problem with it. So it doesn't really matter how it's played out fully -- the knifing is gratuitous.

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:32 pm

You'd have preferred it mid-issue?

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:36 pm

Zero wrote:You'd have preferred it mid-issue?

No -- the stabbing is bad no matter where it appears. But what cheapens it more so is that Bru uses it to give us a thrilling cliffhanger.

If endangering the baby is central to the plot, he could have found a less sadistic and sensational way to pull that off. For instance, Sharon has been on heavy drugs during the pregnancy; that could easily lead to complications, even miscarriage.

It would have the same effect on the plot, without indulging in over-the-top stabbings that are, ultimately, inappropriate for a traditional superhero book.

Violence for cheap thrills cheapens otherwise good stories. I think that's the case this time, unfortunately.

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:29 am

Eli Katz wrote:No -- the stabbing is bad no matter where it appears. But what cheapens it more so is that Bru uses it to give us a thrilling cliffhanger.

If endangering the baby is central to the plot, he could have found a less sadistic and sensational way to pull that off. For instance, Sharon has been on heavy drugs during the pregnancy; that could easily lead to complications, even miscarriage.

It would have the same effect on the plot, without indulging in over-the-top stabbings that are, ultimately, inappropriate for a traditional superhero book.

Violence for cheap thrills cheapens otherwise good stories. I think that's the case this time, unfortunately.

First off, I'd hardly call Bru's Cap a traditional superhero book. Secondly, all the drugs wouldn't have the same effect on the plot as the Skull's daughter stabbing Sharon, and it certainly wouldn't have been as shocking which was clearly the intent. Just because something is visceral and sudden does not render it cheap, and quite frankly it sounds like exactly the kind of thing a sadistic character like Sin would do. Like Bucky's role in WW2 it makes sense for the story and like Steve's death I have no doubt it'll make for interesting stories.
To place it in the middle of the book would rob it of lots of gravity, and that would cheapen the act. Putting it at the end has left it as the defining moment of the issue, like it should be.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:43 am

Great issue. Rough disturbing ending.

At least the plot finally seems to be moving forward

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 pm

Zero wrote:First off, I'd hardly call Bru's Cap a traditional superhero book. Secondly, all the drugs wouldn't have the same effect on the plot as the Skull's daughter stabbing Sharon, and it certainly wouldn't have been as shocking which was clearly the intent. Just because something is visceral and sudden does not render it cheap, and quite frankly it sounds like exactly the kind of thing a sadistic character like Sin would do. Like Bucky's role in WW2 it makes sense for the story and like Steve's death I have no doubt it'll make for interesting stories.
To place it in the middle of the book would rob it of lots of gravity, and that would cheapen the act. Putting it at the end has left it as the defining moment of the issue, like it should be.

Good points.

But even so, I'm just not cool with the stabbing. For me, it crosses a line. We can give intellectuals arguments defendng our positions, but it's ultimately a judgment call. In my judgment, I find it in bad taste and cheap. In your judgment, you see it as effective storytelling.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue, because I don't think either one of us is going to change our minds.

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:22 pm

in so many other comics from almost all publishers there's been worse violence such as torture and dismemberment yet it doesnt get the reaction this stabbing got. i dont really see what was so much more sickening about this compared to the other stuff that gets a pass. to me its just on top of more violence that the reader's already subject to in comics these days.

leave a comment with facebook