Advertisement

Captain America #40 Major Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KillerShrike
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby KillerShrike » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Sharon's fine, the baby's fine. The stabbing scene was just a graphic way to show how important the pregnancy is to the Skull's overall plan for revenge against Cap.

Advertisement

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:58 pm

KillerShrike wrote:Sharon's fine, the baby's fine. The stabbing scene was just a graphic way to show how important the pregnancy is to the Skull's overall plan for revenge against Cap.
Well, now I can't wait to see how bad Sin is gonna get it from daddy over this. :twisted:

Mr. Batman

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby Mr. Batman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:40 pm

I've heard the ending is brutal, but I never expected anything like this. This is just gruesome

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:35 am

One of the better issues recently.

Hab

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Don't see how this could be any worse than Zoom making Linda have a miscarriage; except for here, you don't know if the baby is dead.
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Forbush Man wrote:Don't see how this could be any worse than Zoom making Linda have a miscarriage; except for here, you don't know if the baby is dead.

i didn't like that either. but at least Linda didn't have a knife sticking out of/into her uterus.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 145 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Forbush Man wrote:Don't see how this could be any worse than Zoom making Linda have a miscarriage; except for here, you don't know if the baby is dead.

I tend to agree, though Johns did go back and reverse that particular act...

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:24 pm

I don't read the book currently, but from what I have read in the previous issues, Brubaker knows what he is doing. Despicable things have been done and it seems like most of you have faith in him. So wait it out and see what happens. Remember, this is the guy that made an impossible return from death great.
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:56 pm

Forbush Man wrote:I don't read the book currently, but from what I have read in the previous issues, Brubaker knows what he is doing. Despicable things have been done and it seems like most of you have faith in him. So wait it out and see what happens. Remember, this is the guy that made an impossible return from death great.

It's just that some forms of violence shouldn't be used simply as thrilling cliffhangers. That's my problem with it. So it doesn't really matter how it's played out fully -- the knifing is gratuitous.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:32 pm

You'd have preferred it mid-issue?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:36 pm

Zero wrote:You'd have preferred it mid-issue?

No -- the stabbing is bad no matter where it appears. But what cheapens it more so is that Bru uses it to give us a thrilling cliffhanger.

If endangering the baby is central to the plot, he could have found a less sadistic and sensational way to pull that off. For instance, Sharon has been on heavy drugs during the pregnancy; that could easily lead to complications, even miscarriage.

It would have the same effect on the plot, without indulging in over-the-top stabbings that are, ultimately, inappropriate for a traditional superhero book.

Violence for cheap thrills cheapens otherwise good stories. I think that's the case this time, unfortunately.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:29 am

Eli Katz wrote:No -- the stabbing is bad no matter where it appears. But what cheapens it more so is that Bru uses it to give us a thrilling cliffhanger.

If endangering the baby is central to the plot, he could have found a less sadistic and sensational way to pull that off. For instance, Sharon has been on heavy drugs during the pregnancy; that could easily lead to complications, even miscarriage.

It would have the same effect on the plot, without indulging in over-the-top stabbings that are, ultimately, inappropriate for a traditional superhero book.

Violence for cheap thrills cheapens otherwise good stories. I think that's the case this time, unfortunately.

First off, I'd hardly call Bru's Cap a traditional superhero book. Secondly, all the drugs wouldn't have the same effect on the plot as the Skull's daughter stabbing Sharon, and it certainly wouldn't have been as shocking which was clearly the intent. Just because something is visceral and sudden does not render it cheap, and quite frankly it sounds like exactly the kind of thing a sadistic character like Sin would do. Like Bucky's role in WW2 it makes sense for the story and like Steve's death I have no doubt it'll make for interesting stories.
To place it in the middle of the book would rob it of lots of gravity, and that would cheapen the act. Putting it at the end has left it as the defining moment of the issue, like it should be.

Spidey-Man

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:43 am

Great issue. Rough disturbing ending.

At least the plot finally seems to be moving forward

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 pm

Zero wrote:First off, I'd hardly call Bru's Cap a traditional superhero book. Secondly, all the drugs wouldn't have the same effect on the plot as the Skull's daughter stabbing Sharon, and it certainly wouldn't have been as shocking which was clearly the intent. Just because something is visceral and sudden does not render it cheap, and quite frankly it sounds like exactly the kind of thing a sadistic character like Sin would do. Like Bucky's role in WW2 it makes sense for the story and like Steve's death I have no doubt it'll make for interesting stories.
To place it in the middle of the book would rob it of lots of gravity, and that would cheapen the act. Putting it at the end has left it as the defining moment of the issue, like it should be.

Good points.

But even so, I'm just not cool with the stabbing. For me, it crosses a line. We can give intellectuals arguments defendng our positions, but it's ultimately a judgment call. In my judgment, I find it in bad taste and cheap. In your judgment, you see it as effective storytelling.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue, because I don't think either one of us is going to change our minds.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:22 pm

in so many other comics from almost all publishers there's been worse violence such as torture and dismemberment yet it doesnt get the reaction this stabbing got. i dont really see what was so much more sickening about this compared to the other stuff that gets a pass. to me its just on top of more violence that the reader's already subject to in comics these days.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand