Advertisement

Captain America #40 Major Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Captain America #40 Major Spoilers

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:50 pm

Okay, don't read this if you haven't read the issue yet, but the ending is crazy... absolutely nuts and lunatic and crazy ...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Okay, you've been sufficiently warned ... Sin stabs Sharon in the stomach, as Sharon tries to escape. Yeah, dagger in the stomach. It is bad, real bad. Bru is now totally brutalizing the character. I didn't think he would make her pregnant and then have her gutted like animal. It's too crazy, too brual. I'm not sure how to feel about this issue.

Yeah, the fight between Bucky and '50s Cap is great. And it's awesome that Buck and Falcon will use '50s Cap to track down Skull, but that stabbing at the end. Ouch. That is one of the most wrenching scenes I've read in a superhero comic in a long time. If Sharon dies or miscarries, or both, Bru will go down as one of the most sadistic writers in Marvel history.

What did you guys think?

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:03 pm

OK, i've loved Bru's Cap, but if this event leads to its logical concluion, that may be the drop-point for me. absolutely unnecessary, and more than a little revolting, to me at least. and i just don't see the need for that kind of Winick-esque over-the-top moment in a Captain America book.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 611 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:09 pm

I don't mind it as much because, considering that Sin is working with Faustus, she either already knew about the pregenancy and if you really want to piss off a pregnant woman (which seems to be what the villains are going for), that's most horrible thing they could do. Secondly, considering how much her mind's been fucked with, I wouldn't be suprised if there's no pregnancy. I mean, I don't remember anyone such as S.H.I.E.L.D. or the Falcon commenting on it.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:12 pm

Stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach? Too much, IMO.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 350 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:12 pm

john lewis wrote:I don't mind it as much because, considering that Sin is working with Faustus, she either already knew about the pregenancy and if you really want to piss off a pregnant woman (which seems to be what the villains are going for), that's most horrible thing they could do. Secondly, considering how much her mind's been fucked with, I wouldn't be suprised if there's no pregnancy. I mean, I don't remember anyone such as S.H.I.E.L.D. or the Falcon commenting on it.
actually tony stark knows and deleted all records of it to keep it a secret.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:actually tony stark knows and deleted all records of it to keep it a secret.
Maybe the records were done by Faustus or something.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:26 pm

nietoperz wrote:Stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach? Too much, IMO.

Yeah, it's too sadistic.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Yeah, it's too sadistic.
Just wait until I become a writer.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:37 pm

chap22 wrote:OK, i've loved Bru's Cap, but if this event leads to its logical concluion, that may be the drop-point for me. absolutely unnecessary, and more than a little revolting, to me at least. and i just don't see the need for that kind of Winick-esque over-the-top moment in a Captain America book.

I may drop the book, too, if this mindless violence continues. The way Sharon has been treated for the last 15 issues -- her being brainwashed, her shooting Steve, her betraying friends and country, and now her being stabbed in the stomach while pregnant with Steve's kid -- it's disgusting. I don't like calling writers misogynists. That sounds idiotically feminist but, Jesus, Bru's treatment of this character, as far as I'm concerned, has been unnecessarily savage. All that's missing is a rape scene yet.

I'm not comfortable with this kind of treatment of any character in a superhero comic, but this deiction, in particular, is a total shit show. Sharon has been a series regular for 40 years, and now Bru diminishes her as a crazy, helpless, tormented victim. Not cool.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:39 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I may drop the book, too, if this mindless violence continues. The way Sharon has been treated for the last 15 issues -- her being brainwashed, her shooting Steve, her betraying friends and country, and now her being stabbed in the stomach while pregnant with Steve's kid -- it's disgusting. I don't like calling writers misogynists. That sounds idiotically feminist but, Jesus, Bru's treatment of this character, as far as I'm concerned, has been unnecessarily savage. All that's missing is a rape scene yet.

I'm not comfortable with this kind of treatment of any character in a superhero comic, but this deiction, in particular, is a total shit show. Sharon has been a series regular for 40 years, and now Bru diminishes her as a crazy, helpless, tormented victim. Not cool.

wait until we find out the baby is actually the Red Skull's, who knocked her up under hypnosis. that'll give you the rape.

man, it's like Winick really IS writing all the Sharon scenes... :roll: :(
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:42 pm

john lewis wrote:Just wait until I become a writer.

Yikes.

Hey, I like blood and torment and tragedy -- my favorite book is Scalped -- but this is Captain America, not Criminal or a Vertigo book.

I don't think this kind of brutality is appropriate for a mainstream superhero book, especially if Marvel want kids reading these titles. Stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach is the kind of gratuitous shit you see in a bad Charles Bronson movie, like Death Wish Part 12.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 pm

chap22 wrote:wait until we find out the baby is actually the Red Skull's, who knocked her up under hypnosis. that'll give you the rape.

man, it's like Winick really IS writing all the Sharon scenes... :roll: :(

Stop -- I'm gonna have nightmares.

Marvel is really earning my contempt these days.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:45 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I may drop the book, too, if this mindless violence continues. The way Sharon has been treated for the last 15 issues -- her being brainwashed, her shooting Steve, her betraying friends and country, and now her being stabbed in the stomach while pregnant with Steve's kid -- it's disgusting. I don't like calling writers misogynists. That sounds idiotically feminist but, Jesus, Bru's treatment of this character, as far as I'm concerned, has been unnecessarily savage. All that's missing is a rape scene yet.
Personally, I'll believe it when the story's done. I don't think she shot Cap and I think the pregnancy's either a fake or there's more to it then a last page shocker.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Hawk's right - if you're reading the book you really ought to see the storyline out before you make a decision. I mean, end of issue cliffhangers do tend to come with some legerdemain implied...

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 pm

john lewis wrote:Personally, I'll believe it when the story's done. I don't think she shot Cap and I think the pregnancy's either a fake or there's more to it then a last page shocker.

I hope you're right.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand