Advertisement

Captain America

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Captain America

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:00 pm

I just read the 5 most recent issues of this tonight.

Damn this book is good :shock:

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Advertisement

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:05 pm

It's ok.

Bru is GOD on this book, but it still doesn't interest me that much. Not much of a Solo Book Guy (prefer the Team Books - JLA, Titans, X-Men, etc.)

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:10 pm

I thought the Red Skull's plot was really awesome.......triggering an economic collapse of the United States.

That's so much more interesting than the usual Cosmic Cube stories.

I cannot wait for the next issue

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:39 am

It's been a quality read, but I find myself thinking that they shouldn't have put Bucky in a Cap suit.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:51 am

I'm loving everything about this book. I agree with you Melon. It's agood to see an evil plot that is not centered around the cosmic cube. It seems more "real." And Bucky kicks ass as Cap.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:13 am

When Cap and Iron man relaunched out of Avengers Disassembled, I picked up Iron Man and continued to ignore Cap. Three months in, Cap was getting these phenomenal reviews and Iron Man was getting these phenomenal delays so I picked up the first three issues and read them on the train. Cap has been non-stop pure excellence, and the Red Skull is fast becoming a favourite villain of mine. Doom? Pah!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:35 pm

DeadFett wrote:I'm loving everything about this book. I agree with you Melon. It's agood to see an evil plot that is not centered around the cosmic cube. It seems more "real." And Bucky kicks ass as Cap.

I totally agree.

When I read the latest issue and they show the news anchors reporting on everything going on (the market collapsing, people losing their homes, the cost of fuel sky rocketing, the riots and protests, etc) it seemed like a really cool, complex plot.

So much more interesting than the usual supervillain plots.

I think it'll take me a while to get used to Bucky as Cap, but I like where it's going so far.

And the gun kinda makes sense, considering it's Bucky.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 pm

I just love how you can tell that Brubaker has had this worked out since the first issue. He's, without a doubt, my favorite writer right now.

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:12 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I totally agree.

When I read the latest issue and they show the news anchors reporting on everything going on (the market collapsing, people losing their homes, the cost of fuel sky rocketing, the riots and protests, etc) it seemed like a really cool, complex plot.

So much more interesting than the usual supervillain plots.

I think it'll take me a while to get used to Bucky as Cap, but I like where it's going so far.

And the gun kinda makes sense, considering it's Bucky.

Aside from the riots part, aren't pretty much all those other things happening today in the US?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:38 pm

kingbobb wrote:Aside from the riots part, aren't pretty much all those other things happening today in the US?

:shock: You mean there really is a Red Skull?!

somebody hold me, I'm scared.

oh, and I thought the final panels of this last issue were some of the jaw dropping best! :)

now someone hold me, dammit! :evil:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby The Juan Percenter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:35 pm

kingbobb wrote:Aside from the riots part, aren't pretty much all those other things happening today in the US?

It's reaaaalllly exaggerated. I think the book mentioned that the Dow was at its lowest point in 40 years which is not true at all (that would be a drop of almost 10,000 points). We are not in a recession from a technical standpoint either. What we are going through now was really amped up for dramatic effect.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:08 am

milton73 wrote:It's reaaaalllly exaggerated. I think the book mentioned that the Dow was at its lowest point in 40 years which is not true at all (that would be a drop of almost 10,000 points). We are not in a recession from a technical standpoint either. What we are going through now was really amped up for dramatic effect.

I don't think it was supposed to be an accurate depiction of what's going on in real life.

What triggered the collapse in the comic was the Kronas Corporation going down. I think Brubaker took some real life elements and then made everything a million times worse, but all in the context of a fictional super-corporation falling apart and the impact it had.

It made for a much more interesting villain plot than the usual cosmic cube thing they always do with the Red Skull.

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby The Juan Percenter » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:02 am

MoneyMelon wrote:I don't think it was supposed to be an accurate depiction of what's going on in real life.

What triggered the collapse in the comic was the Kronas Corporation going down. I think Brubaker took some real life elements and then made everything a million times worse, but all in the context of a fictional super-corporation falling apart and the impact it had.

I don't think it was meant to be accurate either. Just a balls out amplification of current events. Which is whay I liked it overall. There are better ways of taking out the US than with planes, tanks, or cosmic cubes.

It also kind of takes Captain America back to his Great Depression era roots. The US is down and needs a hero - enter Captain America.

Cernunnos
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Cernunnos » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Captain America is one of the best, if not the best, books Marvel publishes. 8)

Lord Simian

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 346 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:12 am

starlord wrote::shock: You mean there really is a Red Skull?!

somebody hold me, I'm scared.

oh, and I thought the final panels of this last issue were some of the jaw dropping best! :)

now someone hold me, dammit! :evil:

Well, think about it. The power of the human mind can do almost anything, look at the SCIENTIFICALLY DOCUMENTED effect of prayer on healing.

Now, figure there's enough people reading about a fictional character, with a fictional GOD CUBE which can do anything, including breaching the walls of reality.

How do you know such a thing couldn't lead to OUR reality? It's entirely possible on some level of WEIRD. :D

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand