Advertisement

Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Pink_Orchid
User avatar
The Virgin Connie Swail
 
Posts: 3760
Likes: 72 posts
Liked in: 134 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm
Formerly: Pink Peril




Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Pink_Orchid » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:21 pm

In Whiz Comics #2 the wizard has named Captain Marvel already. But it reads more like when Clark says out loud, "This looks like a job for Superman." Not that they are separate beings, just alter egos that refer to themselves in the third person.

Advertisement

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18819
Likes: 128 posts
Liked in: 207 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:19 am

Spektre wrote:
I'm willing to be convinced. Source material to back this up?


I'm on my phone posting for the next few days so I can post the pages this weekend.

Billy for all intents and purposes is an avatar.

I'm really surprised this isn't common knowledge. Billy and Marvel weren't the same person until DC relaunched the property about 30 years ago.

Hab

Liam Rodgers
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 2203
Likes: 242 posts
Liked in: 100 posts
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: The True North, strong and free!
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 am

habitual wrote:
I'm on my phone posting for the next few days so I can post the pages this weekend.

Billy for all intents and purposes is an avatar.

I'm really surprised this isn't common knowledge. Billy and Marvel weren't the same person until DC relaunched the property about 30 years ago.

Hab


It isn't common knowledge because it's bullshit from the resident bullshit artist.

From Whiz Comics #11, 1940;
Image

C.C. Beck also pointed out that Captain Marvel always blushed when women kissed him because underneath it all he's still a kid.

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18819
Likes: 128 posts
Liked in: 207 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 am

The Beast wrote:
It isn't common knowledge because it's bullshit from the resident bullshit artist.

From Whiz Comics #11, 1940;
Image

C.C. Beck also pointed out that Captain Marvel always blushed when women kissed him because underneath it all he's still a kid.


Seriously, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

But I'm not surprised, you've demonstrated you don't know shit about Captain Marvel in the Justice League threads.

In Whiz Comics #11, Billy is shown to be able to summon up a ghostly version of Captain Marvel by whispering the word, and in other stories the spirit of Captain Marvel was shown talking to Billy.


Hab
Last edited by habitual on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liam Rodgers
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 2203
Likes: 242 posts
Liked in: 100 posts
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: The True North, strong and free!
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:51 am

habitual wrote:
Seriously, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

But I'm not surprised, you've demonstrated you don't know shit about Captain Marvel in the Justice League threads.



Hab


Right because in your twisted reality the words "he and I are the same person", mean something else.
Image

Cap is ghostly because the word was whispered, not because he's a separate entity. Instead of settling for Jeff Smith's watered down rendition you should read the original Monster Society of Evil and treat yourself to the real Captain Marvel, monster hunter and Nazi killer.

He wasn't a boyscout either.


(almost forgot)Bah

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18819
Likes: 128 posts
Liked in: 207 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 am

I have the hardcover :lol:

You're wrong.

Hab

Liam Rodgers
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 2203
Likes: 242 posts
Liked in: 100 posts
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: The True North, strong and free!
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 am

habitual wrote:I have the hardcover :lol:

You're wrong.

Hab


Then crack the spine and read the fucking thing.

Dig up some first hand factual basis for your argument, for once, and stop regurgitating the irrelevant opinions of (Jeff Smith) others.


Bah

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34478
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 89 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:19 am

Anyways, Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel, not Billy Batson :P

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18819
Likes: 128 posts
Liked in: 207 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 am

The Beast wrote:
Then crack the spine and read the fucking thing.

Dig up some first hand factual basis for your argument, for once, and stop regurgitating the irrelevant opinions of (Jeff Smith) others.


Bah


Go read Whiz comics #11. There are several panels of Billy speaking to Cap. It's the same issue as the panel you posted above. I'm not going to scan it to satisfy your dumb ass :lol:

It's pretty obvious they're not the same.

Hab

Liam Rodgers
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 2203
Likes: 242 posts
Liked in: 100 posts
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: The True North, strong and free!
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

habitual wrote:
Go read Whiz comics #11. There are several panels of Billy speaking to Cap. It's the same issue as the panel you posted above. I'm not going to scan it to satisfy your dumb ass :lol:

It's pretty obvious they're not the same.

Hab


I don't to read anything beyond It's not cheating because we're the same person.

If Captain Marvel is a separate entity, why does he blush whenever Beautia or any other grown woman kisses him?


Bah

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18819
Likes: 128 posts
Liked in: 207 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:51 am

Ok your post doesn't make any sense.

Those panels happened, saying you're not going to read them doesn't make it any less true.

Hab

Spektre
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 4010
Likes: 198 posts
Liked in: 262 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Spektre » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:24 am

habitual wrote:Ok your post doesn't make any sense.

Those panels happened, saying you're not going to read them doesn't make it any less true.

Hab


But I've read thousands of panels that say they are the same person. The onus of evidence is on you.

edit - Eh, no it's not. I am asking for evidence one way or th4e other, you just aren't providing convincing evidence.
Last edited by Spektre on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Pink_Orchid
User avatar
The Virgin Connie Swail
 
Posts: 3760
Likes: 72 posts
Liked in: 134 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm
Formerly: Pink Peril




Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:24 am

Image

Pink_Orchid
User avatar
The Virgin Connie Swail
 
Posts: 3760
Likes: 72 posts
Liked in: 134 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm
Formerly: Pink Peril




Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:40 am

Reading an interview with CC Beck in Alter Ego. He says Billy and Cap are one in the same. Cap is just Billy's adult body. Same features.

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18819
Likes: 128 posts
Liked in: 207 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Captain Marvel not Billy Batson?

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 am

Black_Orchid wrote:Reading an interview with CC Beck in Alter Ego. He says Billy and Cap are one in the same. Cap is just Billy's adult body. Same features.


Beck wasn't always in charge of the character, Bill Parker was before having to go off to war.

Cap is what Billy is supposed to look like as an adult, that's never changed, but, there were always two distinct personalities to each.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 184 guests

Advertisement
cron