Advertisement

Captain Marvel #15 (Play with the radio Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Captain Marvel #15 (Play with the radio Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:41 pm

As much as I’ve been enjoying Infinity so far, I can’t help but feel like the crossover has kind of mucked up whatever Kelly Sue DeConnick had planned for Captain Marvel.

At the end of ‘Enemy Within’, Carol was left floating in space with her brain all-fried and no memories. But in Infinity, she’s fine and dandy, hanging with the Avengers, flying a Quinjet and bantering with Captain America. DeConnick (and co-writer Jen Van Meter, hey, this is like a team-up of writers who are always referred to as ‘so-and-so’s wife’) has to try and square this, and I think she did as well as can be expected.

This issue goes into greater detail about the giant space battle we saw in the pages of Avengers #18, and we see Captain Marvel’s though processes, we see how she’s having to fake having any emotional connection to her teammates, which is interesting, and in the end, any complaints about her role in the main Infinity stories are alleviated. I do think the nature of Carol’s memory loss is a little bit weird, she seems to know who all of the Avengers are, and she seems to know that she and Spider-Woman are best friends, but she doesn’t feel it. So she remembers the facts of her life, but not the emotions around it? It’s odd. I suppose that’s a cool distinction, but it’s a fine line to walk. Hopefully in future issues, DeConnick will define this a bit more.

The ending of this issue was pretty good too, as we see what happens after Captain Marvel and co’s Quinjet gets blown up… Carol turns into Binary! This moment would have been even better if it hadn’t been spoiled on the cover, but hey, it’s a great cover from Quinones, you can’t really complain.

The interior art here comes from Pat Oliffe, who is one of those artists who consistently delivers solid superhero stuff, but never really steps above solid, but I did feel his clean and simple art did a perhaps better job at depicting the ‘Battle Of The Corridor’ than Leinil Yu did.

If you’re reading Infinity, this issue is by no means essential, but it’s another good issue of Captain Marvel, as DeConnick does a good job at dancing through the crossover raindrops and telling her own story of Carol Danvers’ journey in amongst whatever the hell it is Hickman is up to.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand