Advertisement

Cataclysm: Ultimates Last Stand #5 (Agardian pissed Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Cataclysm: Ultimates Last Stand #5 (Agardian pissed Spoilers

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Cataclysm comes to an end, but thankfully, it’s not the end of the Ultimate Universe, as the few surviving heroes figure out a way to defeat Galactus and the stage is set for a new beginning for the imprint that I’m very excited for.

We begin in the aftermath of the Triskelion explosion, which luckily, most of the heroes (except Captain America) have survived. There’s time for a quick hug between Spider-Man and Kitty, but there’s no time to waste, she has to get on with Reed Richards’ plan. She grows to massive size, and gets into it with Galactus, trying to phase through his machinery and stop him. This is big stuff, and Mark Bagley draws it all wonderfully. In the hands of a lesser artist, a fist-fight between Shadowcat and Galactus could look dumb as hell, but here, you feel the importance.

I also loved the 2-page spread where Kitty remembers all of the people she’s doing this for, both the heroes left alive, but also the ones who aren’t. Bagley draws pretty much every Ultimate Character ever here, and whilst it was a bit self-indulgent I suppose, he and Bendis did create this Universe, I forgive them. Plus, you know, Ultimate Peter Parker was there, and I still get emotional about that death.

It turns out that Giant Kitty wasn’t the only part of the plan, she’s just a distraction, and Reed Richards has something else up his sleeve. He launches a Negative Zone portal at Galactus, which opens up and starts to suck both Galactus and Kitty into it. I had thought this series would be a redemption for Ultimate Reed, but he’s perfectly willing to sacrifice Kitty here, so he’s still kind of a dick. He does save the world though. Miles and Sue Storm rush off to try and save Kitty, but they are only able to do so when Thor returns, slamming into Galactus and forcing them both through the portal. Iron Man begs for time to save Thor, but there isn’t any, and so Reed closes the portal, trapping both Thor and Galactus in darkness.

So, the G-Man is gone, but the world is still in rubble, a lot of heroes are dead, and who knows what’s going to happen next? I was intrigued by the fact that Storm picked up Captain America’s shield, she can’t be the new Cap can she? That would be weird.

Overall, this was strong mini-series that really did change the Ultimate Universe forever. But most of all, I’m just glad that it’s still sticking around and that Miles Morales isn’t going to the 616 Universe. That is the dumbest rumour ever.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand