Tuesday, May 31, 2016 • Morning Edition • "72 slogans - collect 'em all!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


CBR Moves All Negative DC Forum Threads to Ghetto

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:45 am

xaraan wrote:
I don't think so, that's what being in charge of that sort of thing is about. Personally, they can support and do whatever they love, but if they can't set it aside to do the job they volunteered for, then they should quit.

Nobody is saying this person couldn't take part against these threads shooting down someone's complaints with his own arguments, write up his own articles about how much he loves dc, etc., but the minute you start deleting threads and changing rules to follow your own vision, then it's something different. And if it's not just his vision, then the article, speaking about CBR as a whole, since the buck stops with them anyways, is ultimately responsible and they are combining threads not to help posters, but to help whatever vision they want to create.

But we deal with it here, I work with these guys writing stuff on the front page everyday and people that say we have a grudge against DC are fucking idiots, to put it simply. We are doing the same before as we do now, any extra attention dc gets is their own doing by the stories the provide, but we get snarky about everything and everyone and we also have no problem writing about it when they do something right. Now, you don't have to believe that, many people don't. I guess it depends on how much you think outside of your fanboyism b/c most people that have issue are dc fanboys who get butthurt or people from other sites that are insecure and want to try and diminish someone else's work.

Let's flip it though, do we tell people in the forum they have to only praise DC in one megathread? If you want to give any DC book a positive review, praise a creator, or a decision, etc. you have to do it in this one 4K post megathread. If you want to talk about how awesome superman unchained is that just came out, too damn bad, it's a duplicate post b/c it's just like talking about how you liked Batman a year ago.

They've created an agenda in their modding to control the speech of the forum, and the agenda doesn't have much to do with helping the people in the forum... but who does it benefit? hmmm...


I get what you're saying, but agendas are almost always self-serving. The CBR forums are like any other company like DC and Marvel, or site, like OH, in that if their actions make the user/consumer experience enjoyable, that's great, but in the end it has to serve and protect itself first.

This is why I thought we stopped (or never started considering OHG) making articles and threads on the happenings of other boards. Suddenly we're talking about site-wide conspiracies and agendas and unprofessionalism and unfairness on a grand scale when frankly it's all conjecture. Just a little while ago I swear it seems like people were calling CBR DC-hating Marvel shills and BC Marvel-hating DC shills and now it's the complete opposite. People see what they want to see. That's not to say the forums are blameless, because they're not. Comics journalism and message forum are in a shitty state and a lot of mistakes are being made by individuals and those actions are casting a bad light on their sites as a whole. Writing and board moderation are easily construed as agenda-driven.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:15 am

Comic book journalism sites (and blogs) are generally run by ego-driven douchebag idiots with little to no professional standards. They just really want someone to notice them. You get some good ones and a lot of bad ones.

I think people being volunteers is part of the problem. When you volunteer for something, you're passionate about it. People who moderate forums or report about comic books are usually passionate about them and that passion clouds (for lack of better term) their ability to think critically and unbiased. Its why we pay judges to judge things. Many people read Jude articles and think "He's (not funny and he's) making fun of something I love so he doesn't get it and he's a saying it sucks." Whereas if they took the time to approach the article critically they'd realize that he's not really saying it sucks but just trying to make people laugh. Of course it would help if he was funny.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:18 am

Keb wrote:Comic book journalism sites (and blogs) are generally run by ego-driven douchebag idiots with little to no professional standards. They just really want someone to notice them. You get some good ones and a lot of bad ones.

I think people being volunteers is part of the problem. When you volunteer for something, you're passionate about it. People who moderate forums or report about comic books are usually passionate about them and that passion clouds (for lack of better term) their ability to think critically and unbiased. Its why we pay judges to judge things. Many people read Jude articles and think "He's (not funny and he's) making fun of something I love so he doesn't get it and he's a saying it sucks." Whereas if they took the time to approach the article critically they'd realize that he's not really saying it sucks but just trying to make people laugh. Of course it would help if he was funny.


It was just "yesterday" everyone was praising the internet for leveling the playing field and opening up the world of "journalism" to everyone with internet access. :lol:

But it is exactly what is sounds like!
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 am

For the record, I don't think DC had anything to do with this decision. It's just a heavy-handed mod action carried out by a volunteer mod who probably still enjoys 95% of the comics DC publishes. While we usually don't report on what other sites do to their forums, we saw an opportunity for mockery and we took it.

The reaction to this article, on here, Reddit and Facebook, has been as funny as the article itself.
User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:33 am

The CBR forum is such a weird place anyway.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 am

Keb wrote:Comic book journalism sites (and blogs) are generally run by ego-driven douchebag idiots with little to no professional standards. They just really want someone to notice them. You get some good ones and a lot of bad ones.

I think people being volunteers is part of the problem. When you volunteer for something, you're passionate about it. People who moderate forums or report about comic books are usually passionate about them and that passion clouds (for lack of better term) their ability to think critically and unbiased. Its why we pay judges to judge things. Many people read Jude articles and think "He's (not funny and he's) making fun of something I love so he doesn't get it and he's a saying it sucks." Whereas if they took the time to approach the article critically they'd realize that he's not really saying it sucks but just trying to make people laugh. Of course it would help if he was funny.


So what you're saying is that the OH should be paying us!

I agree! Pay up suckers! And I deserve a bonus for my awesome Big Lebowski post in this thread! B-b-b-bonus!

:P
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:02 pm

False Prophet wrote:
I get what you're saying, but agendas are almost always self-serving. The CBR forums are like any other company like DC and Marvel, or site, like OH, in that if their actions make the user/consumer experience enjoyable, that's great, but in the end it has to serve and protect itself first.

This is why I thought we stopped (or never started considering OHG) making articles and threads on the happenings of other boards. Suddenly we're talking about site-wide conspiracies and agendas and unprofessionalism and unfairness on a grand scale when frankly it's all conjecture. Just a little while ago I swear it seems like people were calling CBR DC-hating Marvel shills and BC Marvel-hating DC shills and now it's the complete opposite. People see what they want to see. That's not to say the forums are blameless, because they're not. Comics journalism and message forum are in a shitty state and a lot of mistakes are being made by individuals and those actions are casting a bad light on their sites as a whole. Writing and board moderation are easily construed as agenda-driven.


No matter how many circles one talks around the issue, if you are someone who loves most of the crap a company dishes out no matter what just b/c you are a fanboy, then you probably are not in the position to make the best decision about how to fairly handle critics of that company.

Also, though I doubt DC had anything to do with this issue, people that think there isn't a lot going on behind the scenes between websites and company people are naive. People from competing websites talk to each other behind the scenes, creators and comp employees talk to each other behind the scenes, etc. Does anyone really think that we are the only site DC tried to bully? Hell, we know the same type of stuff went on way back at rama with Brady, which is one of the reasons he divided up the forum, where it used to be all combined, splitting it into DC, Marvel, etc. Negative forums have been a company concern for a long time.

Here, I'm sure it's just an over-zealous mod (which is someone that shouldn't be modding), but what does it take for a "site-wide conspiracy"? One staff member mentioning to a mod in casual conversation that DC gave them some crap for this or that, then that mod, fan of the company, who thinks, 'yea, we do allow too many negatives to go on about this subject I love' and then a few weeks later comes up with their own idea about how to address it. That's not a conspiracy or agenda, stuff like that happens organically. Is that how it went down? Probably not, but to say that it either has to be the actions of one man or a company wide conspiracy is a bit ridiculous.

As for journalism? Don't get me started.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:07 pm

Keb wrote:Many people read Jude articles and think "He's (not funny and he's) making fun of something I love so he doesn't get it and he's a saying it sucks." Whereas if they took the time to approach the article critically they'd realize that he's not really saying it sucks but just trying to make people laugh. Of course it would help if he was funny.


:x

:lol:
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:42 pm

The whole point of the article is to make absurd comparisons between Nazi Germany and message board modding, which is probably, on all of the internet, the thing most often compared to Naziism. It's parody. Which should be clearly obvious to anyone who isn't a complete moron. Whether or not Hitler Teapot's moderation technique in this instance was right or wrong, smart or dumb, malevolent or benign, is completely beside the point. We'll write an article making fun of something whether we agree with it or disagree, so long as there's an opportunity to be absurd about it, which is usually because A) the situation itself is absurd to begin with or B) people react absurdly to situations like it.

There's a message behind the articles, sure, but it's very rarely the literal interpretation of what we're saying.

Now, the conversation that springs up in our forum/comments is another matter entirely. That's what makes The Outhouse great. You get an article that's completely farcical sometimes, and sometimes you'll get one that's completely straight - it depends on the writer and the writer's mood. But our regular readers and community know the difference, and no matter the style of the article, you can read the comments and you'll get some thoughtful discussion from our posters. There's nothing I love more than when I write a completely outrageous article about some Marvel preview or some shit and people come in, read it, and then immediately start discussing the preview itself without even acknowledging the ridiculous things I said about it.

Our posters are smart. Don't make me say that again.

I have to say, you guys are doing a great job. We (the writers) have worked hard over the last year to write (hopefully entertaining) articles that bring attention to the site, but it wouldn't work if the posters couldn't close the deal with great discussion in the comments. Because that's the goal of this whole thing - we deserve a voice. The internet fanboys that have been marginalized by corporate websites for years deserve to be heard. We're not just "complainers" or "malcontents." We're people who love comic books so much that we hang out every day on a place built to talk about them (and often, to make fun of them and ourselves).

But that's the difference between us and CBR. We view our community as an asset whose opinions deserve to be heard. Other sites view their community as an embarrassment that shames them in the eyes of comic book corporations who they are desperate to win the favor of. That's why Newsarama killed their forums, where most of us came from, in the first place. You'll notice that most other sites hide their forums. Maybe there's a small link at the bottom of an article like "discuss this in our forums," but who clicks those?

I went to great coding lengths (I had to learn to understand javascript) to get the forum discussion to appear right underneath the front page article because the point of this whole endeavor is for the *entire* community to have a voice, not just the people who write articles. It's also why our front page is open for anyone who wants to write for it. This is a soapbox built by a community, and it's meant to be used.

So, Hitler Teapot, if you're reading this, you can rest easy. We don't think there's a conspiracy going on and, with SDCC coming up, we'll probably be back to writing articles where we offer to have our writers give you handjobs to get on your yacht for the rest of the summer (lube up that hand, Xaraan).

But merging all those threads together "for the board's own good?" Dumb move designed to silence criticism, plain and simple. Denying it just makes you look stupid at best, dishonest at worst.

colonyofcells

Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:53 pm

It does seem that there are not enough pro New 52 threads.
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:56 pm

colonyofcells wrote:It does seem that there are not enough pro New 52 threads.



That should tell DC to put out better books.
User avatar

The Shadow

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby The Shadow » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:10 pm

BlueStreak wrote:For the record, I don't think DC had anything to do with this decision. It's just a heavy-handed mod action carried out by a volunteer mod who probably still enjoys 95% of the comics DC publishes.

I haven't been an active poster there for almost 4 years now due to my double secret perma-ban... but from what I remember that mod was pretty fair though not much of a Marvel fan. Definitely a DC Drone.

... He also openly trumpeted his desire for Barry Allen to return looooong before he did so there's that definite strike against him for sure as an unbiased mod.
User avatar

The Shadow

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby The Shadow » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:12 pm

colonyofcells wrote:It does seem that there are not enough pro New 52 threads.

Because there's not much to be pro about............
User avatar

LoganRSA

penile prisoner

Postby LoganRSA » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:21 pm

xaraan wrote:

That should tell DC to put out better books.


Don't be so myopic.
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:27 pm

The Shadow wrote:I haven't been an active poster there for almost 4 years now due to my double secret perma-ban... but from what I remember that mod was pretty fair though not much of a Marvel fan. Definitely a DC Drone.

... He also openly trumpeted his desire for Barry Allen to return looooong before he did so there's that definite strike against him for sure as an unbiased mod.


Funny, I was accused of having a bias against DC on the other site that I mod and was told to resign as it clouded my judgement about things. One's opinions about comics shouldn't be a precursor to biased modding, unless of course they ban a type of post because they disagree with the opinion stated.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BarrySagittarius, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], LobsterJ and 81 guests