Tuesday, September 18, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Thoughtful analysis of important cultural issues."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

CB Cebulski named Marvel Editor in Chief

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 pm

So what are your thoughts?

Do you think Disney maybe unhappy with a lot of the bad press Marvel was getting?

Also not that he should get it but how pissed is Breevort?

I'm hoping it's a good change. My biggest issues with Marvel Comics is the MCU is basically driving their stories and not vice versa.

I know the amount of money the MCU makes is insane and it will always take priority but I get tired of both the comics, cartoons and the movies all looking/feeling the same.

They've been moving away from that recently and I'd be more than happy that continues.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:42 pm

We absolutely SHOULD know this.

Sayonara, Alonso! Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Don't know much about this guy until I read this. Is Cebulski better or worst than Alonso and Quesada before him by chance?

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Draco x wrote:Don't know much about this guy until I read this. Is Cebulski better or worst than Alonso and Quesada before him by chance?

I don't see how he could possibly be worse than Alonso.

I know, I know..."hold my beer! /Marvel'd", but I remain at least mildly hopeful.

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Draco x wrote:Don't know much about this guy until I read this. Is Cebulski better or worst than Alonso and Quesada before him by chance?

He was an editor in the mid-00's on Runaways and some other books.

My understanding is he was the big recruiter for a lot of Marvel talent. Hickman and Sara Picehlli being two of the bigger names he brought in.

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:02 pm

chap22 wrote:
I don't see how he could possibly be worse than Alonso.

I know, I know..."hold my beer! /Marvel'd", but I remain at least mildly hopeful.

Harras. Harras is how you are worse than Alonso.

I think he has two things to do with Rebirth. Jack and Shit and to quote Ash Williams "Jack left town".

Johnny Smith

biny little tird

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Jack Burton wrote:So what are your thoughts?

Do you think Disney maybe unhappy with a lot of the bad press Marvel was getting?

Also not that he should get it but how pissed is Breevort?

I'm hoping it's a good change. My biggest issues with Marvel Comics is the MCU is basically driving their stories and not vice versa.

I know the amount of money the MCU makes is insane and it will always take priority but I get tired of both the comics, cartoons and the movies all looking/feeling the same.

They've been moving away from that recently and I'd be more than happy that continues.

Tom B has been closely tied to Alonso, so I don't think he would have been seriously considered to replace him. I'll be surprised if he stays in the "right hand man" editorial position he's been occupying at Marvel.

If he leaves Marvel, he might end up at DC as the editor for whatever books Bendis decides to write.

DJ Convoy

cheese

Postby DJ Convoy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:51 pm

I hope CB can recruit good creatives who want to stick around on books. Sick of different artists constantly who might not match up tonally.

I want Marvel Comics that look and read like Marvel Comics. I'm sick of heroes fighting heroes, heroes not being heroic and ugly costumes. I want continuity AND consistency. I want fun stories, challenging stories and even deep stories, as long as they are good and told with an eye toward previous characterization and events. I want the books to feel like they are in a connected universe without having to read thirty titles to get every little thing. I want the X-Men to be good again. I want the FF back. I want Iron Man to be Tony Stark being a snarky, self made prick who ultimately does the right thing. I want Thor to be a grand, heroic character, like he used to be. I want Dr Strange to be creepy and trippy and cool. I want one good, solid book for any "franchise" established, connecting to the audience and selling decently before they launch four spin offs that immediately fail.

I want to love Marvel, again.

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:02 pm

That was a short run by Alonso.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm

DJ Convoy wrote:I hope CB can recruit good creatives who want to stick around on books. Sick of different artists constantly who might not match up tonally.

I want Marvel Comics that look and read like Marvel Comics. I'm sick of heroes fighting heroes, heroes not being heroic and ugly costumes. I want continuity AND consistency. I want fun stories, challenging stories and even deep stories, as long as they are good and told with an eye toward previous characterization and events. I want the books to feel like they are in a connected universe without having to read thirty titles to get every little thing. I want the X-Men to be good again. I want the FF back. I want Iron Man to be Tony Stark being a snarky, self made prick who ultimately does the right thing. I want Thor to be a grand, heroic character, like he used to be. I want Dr Strange to be creepy and trippy and cool. I want one good, solid book for any "franchise" established, connecting to the audience and selling decently before they launch four spin offs that immediately fail.

I want to love Marvel, again.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Well, glad AA is out, but CB will need to clean house in the editorial staff or nothing is going to change.

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
He was an editor in the mid-00's on Runaways and some other books.

My understanding is he was the big recruiter for a lot of Marvel talent. Hickman and Sara Picehlli being two of the bigger names he brought in.

And prior he was, I think, the longest-running PR director Image has ever had.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:42 pm

So Alonso's out?

I hear DC has an opening for an editor...

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:56 pm

HNutz wrote:So Alonso's out?

I hear DC has an opening for an editor...

Goddammit, you shut up and you shut up right now!

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Repeating what I said in another thread:

I don't think this will help. The problem with Marvel is David Gabriel and his market driven crossover every year and relaunch every year. The guy was even quoted as saying killing a character each quarter bumps sales.

Alonso unlike Quesada seemed to have to take Gabriel's lead and the entire line has been driven by Gabriel for quite some time.

Alonso's tenure gave us some good books, he was an incredible editor at Vertigo on books like Preacher and a really good editor at Marvel, he got Peter Milligan to knock it out the park on X-Force.

His tenure as EIC gave us Ms Marvel by Wilson, Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, Daredevil by Waid, Spider-gwen by Latour, Superior Spider-man by Slott and Darth Vader by Gillen. I think these are all good books. He diversified the line which is no bad thing, but the constant relaunches and crossovers driven by Gabriel have made Marvel a joke.

Good luck to the new guy, but I don't see how he can succeed with Gabriel still pulling the strings.

leave a comment with facebook