Advertisement

7/10 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials! Le SPOILERS...

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Zenguru wrote:You should still read it, though. It's sooooo good.

I mean Chappy's review! Booster is my favourite title at the moment, but I won't receive it until the end of the month.

Advertisement

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:52 pm

nietoperz wrote:I mean Chappy's review! Booster is my favourite title at the moment, but I won't receive it until the end of the month.
Oh, okay. Yeah, don't read Chappy's review until you've read the book. You'll thank me and yourself. But do read it later because he's a great guy. I like anyone who can separate certain comics in terms of parts of a meal.

diana_fan

Liked in: 59 posts

Re: 7/10 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials! Le SPOILERS...

Postby diana_fan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Trinity #6

This was lovely. I like how every-thing's coming together neatly. And Hawkman was a hoot. It's nice to see the Trinity talking and thinking things out, as well. Really nice art from Bagley as usual. And I agree with you, Chap, that MacDaniel's stuff this issue was a little sub-par.

Final Crisis: Requiem

:( I have to admit: I've never been a huge fan of J'Onn. I didn't dislike him. I just never connected with the character for some reason.

But lordy, this book made me wish I had! What an absolute treat, from cover to cover. And yes, the art was spectacular.

Wonder Woman #22

Yikes! Gail's been in high gear since her first issue, and this is no different. This issue peers into the real heart of who Diana is, what Diana is, and what and who Diana could become, if things were to happen a certain way. Also, the first time since the re-launch that I haven't hated Tom. So, that's an accomplishment.

And let me say, freakin' Aaron Lopresti is so en fuego on this title, it's utterly ridiculous. This is one of the most beautiful books being printed.

Gail and Aaron have successfully performed CPR on this title, and it not only has healthy vitals, it's going to Beijing to run the marathon!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 158 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:48 pm

the epilogue in booster gold was a nice surprise in addition to everything else that was being thrown at us @ the end like rip hunters surprise and last words in the issue.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 161 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:59 pm

JL_Amato wrote:If need be they should add Doug Mankhe to the main Final Crisis art team.

Manke's art has evolved so much since the 90s. He and Epting went from being decent to great in the last decade.

The Outhouse: In a digital world full of ruthless assholes and whiny bitches...might as well hang out with the ones you know.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:13 pm

I don't know if Booster Gold is the best book from DC right now, but it's certainly the best book for fans of the DCU. The more you appreciate the history and interactions the more you will love the book. The part with Bruce was one of the coolest things I've seen in a book this year (as was his part in Requiem, that really showed how well he knew J'Onn) and the last two bits with Rip's words and the Epilogue were just amazingly great. It's nice to see that returning hero, but I haven't read enough about them to say too much, but it should be cool. The teases at the end were also great, I love the Batgirl and Robin one. I don't know if it's the best issue of the year (Blue Beetle where he teamed with the JLI was really really good as were a couple other things) but it's certainly on the short list and I agree with chap that it was awesome.

Requiem was great and a wonderful recap/send off for one of my favorite characters. I loved how it played out his death in more detail and who he chose to send his memories to. It wasn't the biggest stars, just the people he cared about the most. I also like how Ollie seemed to feel left out when talking to Hal. Overall a great issue, even if I hate that they killed J'Onn. In other words I agree with chap on this one as well.

As for Trinity I agree with him on that one as well. It was great to see the stories come together like that and it was really fun to see Gangbuster put Hawkman in place. The stuff showing how each of the Trinity represent the ideas most associated with Superman was cool and true. This book feels like it's going to be really interesting.

I'd also like to throw out some thoughts on other books.

I enjoyed Detective, although it would have been nice to focus more on Catwoman and Batman, but since I don't know anything about Hush it's good to get some info.

JSA was more neat ideas but without advancing the story as much as I'd hope. I'm enjoying the book but not a ton has happened lately and it's the worst of the ones Johns is writing. I'd like to see this Kingdom Come stuff get over and move on to something that's more original. The book is reminding me of Superman Returns right now, it's playing more like an homage rather than an original story.

Nova was wonderful. The depiction of Galactus and the Surfer was awesome and it was a great resolution to the storyline, the villain was neat, and the cliffhanger with Worldmind will be fun to watch play out over the next few issues.

Guardians of the Galazy continues to be fun and exciting. I loved the part with Gamora being badass and Groot was his normal awesome self. In fact everything here makes this seem like a series that's going to be really good. I love what's going on in space in the Marvel U and while I'm excited to see how SI connects in the next couple issues, I can't wait for them to get back to their main storylines.

Mr. Batman

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby Mr. Batman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Maybe Johns will come back to Booster. I love it too much for it to get cancelled. Chap, will you still be getting Booster?

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Mr. Batman wrote:Maybe Johns will come back to Booster. I love it too much for it to get cancelled. Chap, will you still be getting Booster?

Booster will hopefully continue to be awesome.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 158 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 pm

how many issues was dixon filling in for before he left DC?

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby JL_Amato » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:34 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:how many issues was dixon filling in for before he left DC?

I believe it's just a two parter.

Depending on next month's creative team I may drop Booster Gold.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Chappy's reviews, Round Deux!

Secret Invasion 4 -- not as bad as the spoilers i saw made it sound, but still nowhere near living up to the potential i saw in issue 1; and i still HATE Yu's artwork; dropping it...my LCS will have the last 4 issues in the dollar box by Christmas, i may finish it out then; bored by it

JSA 17 -- certainly worlds better than it was just 6 months ago, but i'm still feeling like something's missing; the scenes of JSAers given their gifts from Gog was cool, and i loved Haekman pointing out that the team's so big it's tripping over each other, but i still can't love it b/c it's not as good as it SHOULD be; liked it

Action 867 -- maybe my favorite issue of Johns's run so far; Kara finally seemed likable, the scenes at the farm were great (but i'm gonna be SO pissed when Pa dies soon, b/c you know it's coming), and i actually like the idea that Clark's never met the REAL Brainiac; loved it

Wonder Woman 22 -- and you people wonder why i have a comic-crush on Donna Troy...when the hell did Lopresti get this good and where was i while it happened? i liked this much better than the previous two issues, and this story finlly grabbed me; Gail's rocking along; liked it

'Tec 846 -- i think i hate Hush more every time i see him; and i still don't care for Nguyen's art either; only good thing was new villain Dr. Aesop, and he got kakked; didn't like it

Batman Confidential 19 -- Maguire + Nicieza + Babs = can't miss; loved it
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:24 pm

On the future of Booster Gold..

:twisted:

I knew Jurgens couldn't resist.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:01 am

chap22 wrote:Chappy's reviews, Round Deux!

Secret Invasion 4 -- not as bad as the spoilers i saw made it sound, but still nowhere near living up to the potential i saw in issue 1; and i still HATE Yu's artwork; dropping it...my LCS will have the last 4 issues in the dollar box by Christmas, i may finish it out then; bored by it

JSA 17 -- certainly worlds better than it was just 6 months ago, but i'm still feeling like something's missing; the scenes of JSAers given their gifts from Gog was cool, and i loved Haekman pointing out that the team's so big it's tripping over each other, but i still can't love it b/c it's not as good as it SHOULD be; liked it

Action 867 -- maybe my favorite issue of Johns's run so far; Kara finally seemed likable, the scenes at the farm were great (but i'm gonna be SO pissed when Pa dies soon, b/c you know it's coming), and i actually like the idea that Clark's never met the REAL Brainiac; loved it

Wonder Woman 22 -- and you people wonder why i have a comic-crush on Donna Troy...when the hell did Lopresti get this good and where was i while it happened? i liked this much better than the previous two issues, and this story finlly grabbed me; Gail's rocking along; liked it

'Tec 846 -- i think i hate Hush more every time i see him; and i still don't care for Nguyen's art either; only good thing was new villain Dr. Aesop, and he got kakked; didn't like it

Batman Confidential 19 -- Maguire + Nicieza + Babs = can't miss; loved it

I agree with most of this, at least of the books I read, but I just wanted to point out that I thought Hawkman was being critical of the JLA not the JSA.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:03 am

Might as well add my two cents' worth on this week's batch.

Secret Invasion #4: It sucked -- just like the last two issues did. One messy fight scene after the next, with little plot development and confusing art by Yu.

Dead, She Said #2: Weird, but interesting. Apparently the story is going to be concluded next ish. Not sure how a story about a zombie PI and giant killer ants can be resolved so quickly. But as weird as it is, I am enjoying this book. Especially the Berni Wrightson's illustrations!

Detective Comics #846: A pretty decent issue, but I don't really see how it ties in with RIP. And truth be told, I'm okay if it just superficially overlaps with Morrison's acid trip Batman tale. Anyway, this issue was enjoyable. I especially liked the Dr. Aesop villain -- too bad he got gunned down at the end of this ish. But maybe he'll survive the injuries. He'd make a good addition to the Batman villains list.

Hulk #1-#3: My policy, generally, is to avoid anything written by Loeb. And so when Marvel relaunched Hulk with Loeb at the helm, I decided to skip it. But I saw at my LCS today this five dollar issue of Hulk that collects the first three issues and I figured that that's a pretty good deal. No adds inside, either. Just the first three issues of Hulk for five bucks. So after breezing through it, and also Hulk #4, I have to say that I dig this book. Yeah, it's over the top. Yeah, it has too many fake &%$# curses in the dilague. Yeah, punching out the Watcher was totally unnecessary. But this is a fast paced story that is action packed and, at the same time, somewhat mysterious. The identity of the Red Hulk is hidden at first, and that secret drives the plot in a fairly clever way. Plus, the action sequences are maginficent. Big Ed McGuinness is doing a superb job. The bottom line is that I enjoyed reading these Hulk issues more than anything else this week.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:38 am

Frost wrote:On the future of Booster Gold..

:twisted:

I knew Jurgens couldn't resist.

i immediately thought of you when i saw the "coming attractions" teaser page. :-D
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand