Advertisement

12/10/08 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials...le spoils!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:02 am

Zechs wrote:The answer to that question is simple. Revelations take's place during the two month gap. So Question is still not in custody yet again. Who knows maybe at the end the Spectre will teleport her to Checkmate headquarters.

What two month gap? And if it's before everything else, why does Alan have his crew assembled that wasn't put together in FC until after Renee was taken to Checkmate HQ in that book? And if it's after that, why haven't the events of the current issue been mentioned and why does Cain have Catwoman and Batwoman as sex slaves while they are off as Darkseid's Furies in FC?

None of it holds together.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:01 am

whose basement is maleev locked in and who's the guy drawing and signing off maleev's name on the work?

not even chaykin fell off this badly.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:21 am

the rest of Chappy's weekly Wednesday smorgasbord:

BOOSTER GOLD 15 -- Jurgens returns and immediately makes this book fun again; Dixon's story had the fun aspect of the first two arcs, Remender's had the possibly dire consequences of the first two arcs, but neither mixed the two together well at all; this issue did; Ralph was great, Booster was great, Michelle was great, the art was great, I'm intrigued by the villain, and the whole thing was a fine return to form; loved it

DETECTIVE 851 -- and unfortunately, I have to disagree with rdrsfn here; I thought March's art was fantstic, but this story...not so much; Denny's writing style was fine, but the plot kept jumping from this actress to the thug to Two-Face (who we don't see saving the thug during the quake at all, so did that really happen? me am confused by the storytelling...), to Dick (who, in usual pre-Tomasi form, got punked WAY too easily here)...it just didn't work for me; when a writer has to have his omniscient narrator admit that they don't know how they know the parts of the story theydidn't actually witness...sorry, that's bad storytelling; characterization seemed fine on all pre-established characters, story just didn't work for me; didn't like it

FINAL CRISIS REVELATIONS 4 -- so much better than the main m ini issue this week; Tan's art is great in places, a bit too cheeecakey in others, but i like it for the most part; and the story is great (even though trying to sync it up with FC makes me want to recite the anti-Life equation); really enjoyed it

GL CORPS 31
-- it is very rare that a superhero comic book actually gives me the literal creeps...this arc is doing it; Kryb is one awesome, evil, CREEPY mofo; loved it

JLA 27
-- mission acomplished, McD...after just this one issue, I actually want to track down old Milestone comics; I loved the Shadow Cabinet, even with no previous exposure; and wait, there was much more goodness! Roy gets shafted (hahaha! suck that, Roy!), Dinah lays the leadership smack down, the scene with Buddy & Vixen was a nice coda to the last arc, Zee's encouragement of Firestorm and mention that the real Kimiyo is kind of a bitch were great little character bits (i like how Dwayne is able to slide little lines like that in that go straight to characterization, without having to make a big maudlin over-production of things like some unnamed former stewards of this team do all the time :-D )...i really had fun with this, best JLA issue IMO in a long time; loved it

SECRET SIX 4 -- and this continues to be just about the most fun comic i buy; i'll need to see Junior revealed next issue before i can really buy into him punking Bane like he did this issue, but everything else is just letter-perfect, and more fun than should be legally allowed; Gail & Nicola are really shining here; loved it

TRINITY 28
-- FINALLY we get back to Alfred and the loved ones for some forward progression; this book has dragged a bit in recent weeks but I'm still enjoying it, and hopefully this issue is the start of another upward trend; liked it

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 580
-- i still hate the idea of OMD/BND, but i couldn't pass up a Stern/Weeks joint; and i'll admit, it wasn't bad; it's certainly nothing groundbreaking, and i really felt like i was reading an old Spidey book from the 70s or 80s in term of status quo, but we had great art, a 20+-year absent villain that i've always wanted to see again (the Blank, from the original WCA mini-series), Spidey cracking wise and kicking tail, fine old-school storytelling (look, ma! honest-to-God thought balloons! YAY!!!!!)...overall a fun little comic; i liked it

and my LCS didn't get Fables (did it come out this week?) and i forgot Spider-Girl. :( :oops:
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:28 am

Damn! You don't leave me with anything, do you. :( :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 710 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:28 am

[quote="chap22"]

GL CORPS 31 [/b]-- it is very rare that a superhero comic book actually gives me the literal creeps...this arc is doing it; Kryb is one awesome, evil, CREEPY mofo; [b]loved it

[quote]

Fact.

Even the scene with Mogul was creepy, him being all pimp...
Tomasai is becoming a fan fav. of mine with this and Nightwing...

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:30 am

wait...the Blank??!?!?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:38 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:wait...the Blank??!?!?

that's damn right. :-D

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:39 am

starlord wrote:Damn! You don't leave me with anything, do you. :( :P

:oops: :oops: sorry.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 am

no biggie. I've got a couple. Do you mind if I, also, review Tec? (haven't read it yet, though)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:43 am

starlord wrote:no biggie. I've got a couple. Do you mind if I, also, review Tec? (haven't read it yet, though)

by all means, review whatever you'd like. i see no problem in us ever crossing over.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:52 am

chap22 wrote:that's damn right. :-D

I have to get this!! holy fuck!! :shock:

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Fables didn't come out this week, unless I missed it as well and need to kill someone.

As for Detective, I enjoyed it and thought of it as the narrator being a person who has been granted supernatural powers that she doesn't understand that will be revealed in the next issue. Sorry you didn't dig it, but I thought it was solid.

And yes, Krybb is the creepiest fucking villain in a long long time. I'm actively frightened of that thing. If it lives and is around for a few years it has has a chance to become one of my favorites in the DCU.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:49 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:
chap22 wrote:
GL CORPS 31 [/b]-- it is very rare that a superhero comic book actually gives me the literal creeps...this arc is doing it; Kryb is one awesome, evil, CREEPY mofo; [b]loved it

Fact.

Even the scene with Mogul was creepy, him being all pimp...
Tomasai is becoming a fan fav. of mine with this and Nightwing...

It was wierd seeing Mongul's servered arm kill that guy while his body and attached was getting the ladies.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand