Advertisement

Charles Soule to Write "Death of Wolverine" Event, Solidifies Status as Outhouse Hero

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 244 posts

Charles Soule to Write "Death of Wolverine" Event, Solidifies Status as Outhouse Hero

Postby LOLtron » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:59 am

Charles Soule to Write

Charles Soule will deliver the coup de grace to the most overused character in Marvel history.

Source: EW

Marvel announced this morning that Charles Soule and Steve McNiven will be killing off Wolverine in the aptly titled "Death of Wolverine" miniseries, which will run weekly in September.  The series will focus on Wolverine's attempt to live his life without a healing factor, with a presumably fatal outcome.  

While Wolverine will likely only be dead for a few months, Marvel has promised that the Marvel Universe will feel the effects of his death.  While no exact plans have been announced, Marvel refused to comment on a rumored fifteen issue "Funeral of Wolverine" miniseries, in which various Marvel characters pee on his grave, which almost certainly means that it's in the works.  

Reaction to the announcement has been mixed at best.  Outhouse bigwigs Christian Hoffer and Jude Terror have already begun planning a ticker-tape parade for Soule and McNiven, and have contacted several celebrities to speak at the celebration.  Actor James Marsden, Canada's new favorite son Steve Nash, and Vice President Joe Biden are all confirmed to make appearances at the event.  Meanwhile, friends and family are keeping a close eye on writer Jason Aaron, who is reportedly devestated by the development.  

Here's a look at the first cover of the event, courtesy of EW.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Re: Charles Soule to Write "Death of Wolverine" Event, Solid

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:27 am

YES. FINALLY. I love Logan, but things have gone too far for too long.
And yeah... yeah, Aaron should be put in a straight jacket for these events... and then we just forget about him in that padded room, so he can't bullshit with stories anymore.
:-D

Death's been awfully busy recently. No wonder he hasn't been returning my calls. (can't be because he doesn't like me... nah)

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:06 am

Hey, I'll go to that party! :lol: I've always hated Wolverine...
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Scintillant-H likes this post.

Supersoldier Washout
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 214 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:08 am

If only he'd be dead for about a year.

But no. Marvel wouldn't do something, potentially, risky as that.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1049 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 am

Supersoldier Washout wrote:If only he'd be dead for about a year.

Why not? Peter Parker and Steve Rogers were both "dead" for close to a year. If Marvel is willing to attempt something as risky as replacing Spider-Man with Otto Octavius, then they can afford to put Wolverine on ice for just as long.
ImageImageImage

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:17 am

This will be an interesting event

I wonder if we'll ever find out if there's a limit to the number of books Charles Soule can write a month :roll:

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 246 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:22 am

Supersoldier Washout wrote:If only he'd be dead for about a year.

Grayson wrote:Why not? Peter Parker and Steve Rogers were both "dead" for close to a year. If Marvel is willing to attempt something as risky as replacing Spider-Man with Otto Octavius, then they can afford to put Wolverine on ice for just as long.

True, but Wolverine's attitude and character kind of sets him apart. For the longest time, he's been the ultimate revenge fantasy: Strength, cunning, savagery, and kills his enemies with barely a second thought. Spidey doesn't kill, and Rogers, I imagine, only kills when necessary, and even then he's not thrilled about it. Part of me thinks this would play some kind of factor. Or maybe I'm just opining for no reason.

I think it'll be interesting to see how a dead Canadian brute shorter than I am would reverberate, if only because of his oversaturation over the years.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:25 am

Grayson wrote:
Why not? Peter Parker and Steve Rogers were both "dead" for close to a year. If Marvel is willing to attempt something as risky as replacing Spider-Man with Otto Octavius, then they can afford to put Wolverine on ice for just as long.

but but BUT ... what happens to Wolverine and the X-Men?!?

Maybe Marvel can rotate staff members as headmasters for each story arc

Doop and the X-Men, Storm and the X-Men, etc.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:27 am

SporkBot wrote:

True, but Wolverine's attitude and character kind of sets him apart. For the longest time, he's been the ultimate revenge fantasy: Strength, cunning, savagery, and kills his enemies with barely a second thought. Spidey doesn't kill, and Rogers, I imagine, only kills when necessary, and even then he's not thrilled about it. Part of me thinks this would play some kind of factor. Or maybe I'm just opining for no reason.

I think it'll be interesting to see how a dead Canadian brute shorter than I am would reverberate, if only because of his oversaturation over the years.

I've heard the Punisher apparently kills on occasion. Once in a while. Now and then. Though of course when he does it, it's "punishment". Personally, I'd settle for a good spanking from a spanking nun for that, and call killing revenge, but evidently his standards are a bit different... :oops:
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:28 am

SporkBot wrote:I think it'll be interesting to see how a dead Canadian brute shorter than I am would reverberate, if only because of his oversaturation over the years.

Wolverine is the glue holding the Marvel Universe together.
Marvel will regret it when their Avengers and X-Men franchises crumble to pieces! :roll:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 830 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:34 am

Yes!!!!

3 people like this post.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:38 am

Johnny Smith wrote:but but BUT ... what happens to Wolverine and the X-Men?!?

Maybe Marvel can rotate staff members as headmasters for each story arc

Doop and the X-Men, Storm and the X-Men, etc.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I guess it is currently working for DC with Batman and _______, so a _______ and the X-Men series isn't too hard to imagine. The main thing to remember here is that there is nothing about Wolverine that would set him far enough apart from any other character and make him above dying.
ImageImageImage

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:41 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Yes!!!!

ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm excited for this.

At this stage I've accepted that 'the illusion of change' is good enough for me, and is basically as good as actual change, so it'll be a fun ride to see how Wolverine dies, and how the X-Books will be without him.

Part of what made Superior Spider-Man so good was that it wasn't permanent, it was a complete story. This can be like that.

Bond Hengbu
Post Whore

Liked in: 45 posts

Postby Bond Hengbu » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:19 pm

I hate the soap opera of Big 2 superhero comics. Let characters die and create new ones dammit.
" Power has two faces:

It's original form is as loathsome and obscene as it can be. only when you grab it, it turns into a kind face"

King Geum-Wa from Jumong

2 people like this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand