Advertisement

Chuck Dixon Hopes Stephanie Brown Does Not Appear in Nu52

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Chuck Dixon Hopes Stephanie Brown Does Not Appear in Nu5

Postby Zechs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:32 pm

bkthomson wrote:I read all the 52 for the first year and it was painful in some books but after that time I have dropped what I no longer like and no longer found engaging and just focused on mostly the core books.

Also I strongly doubt we will ever see the switch back to the older continuity, even if Dan and Geoff ever leave, it will just be a retooling of this current universe.

Yeah if anything changes an event will "Zero Hour" certain not popular moves, but keep the current universe around.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:56 pm

I'd never let Dixon write a book for my company again. He sounds like a whining fanboy!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

I wish people would talk less about the characters not appearing in comics and a bit more about the ones that are.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Punchy wrote:I wish people would talk less about the characters not appearing in comics and a bit more about the ones that are.

You can't. There will always be that. That's the problem this regime of DC has created. Before Didio took office there wasn't this problem. Everything was nice and quiet. Now? Fans are divided over Alan/Hal/John/Guy/Kyle, Jay/Barry/Wally, Barbara/Cassandra/Stephanie, and to a lesser degree Ollie/Connor. It's not fans fault DC fucked this up so royally, it's DC's. They made the freaking mess and they even have an out to appease every fanbase. 52 worlds and not one were a commonality can take place to appease each side?

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Zechs there is hardly anyone in these "fan bases". I think that's what you don't understand. There's at most 1,000 people who are involved in these hardcore fan communities for each character, most couldn't give a shit.

You should look for a good story. Not Stephanie brown. Stephanie Brown has no effect on a quality of a book to be honest.

If this was an issue about the restrictions placed on authors in the big 2 fair enough. But it's not. It's a sideshow to distract from the main issue. A bunch of weirdos want their favorite characters showcased above others.

Characters are the least important part of a comic. Fuck Stephanie Brown. Fuck Spiderman.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Jubilee wrote:Zechs there is hardly anyone in these "fan bases". I think that's what you don't understand. There's at most 1,000 people who are involved in these hardcore fan communities for each character, most couldn't give a shit.

You should look for a good story. Not Stephanie brown. Stephanie Brown has no effect on a quality of a book to be honest.

If this was an issue about the restrictions placed on authors in the big 2 fair enough. But it's not. It's a sideshow to distract from the main issue. A bunch of weirdos want their favorite characters showcased above others.

Characters are the least important part of a comic. Fuck Stephanie Brown. Fuck Spiderman.

If they're the least important part then why do we have a "hundred" different books starring Wolverine & Batman? Alas story or art doesn't matter anymore. The last time either truly mattered was for story in the mid 80s and for art in the 90s. Neither barely register any longer save when maybe Jim Lee or a A list artist does something nowadays. Again you miss the problem. DC started this problem. They're the ones who brought this "character" issue to bare.

A few thousand? You know who also had a fanbase with a "a thousand"? H.E.A.T. They got their wish through fanaticism. I hate that they got their way through it and that a few members of it are running GL still. And it'll only be the root of the problem for years to come. It needs to end. There needs to be a commonality breached or this is gonna keep continuing.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Because

A) people are retards

B) the comic companies have created this. Take wolverine. He was once almost killed. Fans hated him when he debuted. Then he did start to get popular. Suddenly writers (Claremont) were not allowed to do what they wanted with him. Wolverine was pushed to the front and centre of the Marvel Universe. He was "pushed" and now retailers know that a wolverine book will sell more than say a hawkeye book at risk from cancellation. Thing is its not like a wolverine guest appearance adds on thousands of appearances.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 315 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Jubilee wrote:A bunch of weirdos want their favorite characters showcased above others.

Yes, weirdos like Geoff "I want to MARRY Hal Jordan and Barry-Sue Allen!!" Johns and Dan "I took this job in large part to bring back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen!!" DiDio. Therein lies the problem, indeed.

Characters are the least important part of a comic.

Which is why characters like Batman and Wolverine's books sell so well, regardless of how POORLY the stories are written.

Which is why these major comic companies actually stay afloat NOT on the STILL piddly number of books they sell, but on how the CHARACTERS manage to sell ancillary products like toothbrushes, toys, and *points to YESTERDAY -- you know, HALLOWEEN * costumes.

Which is why YOU are STILL proudly sporting the name of a specific CHARACTER... "JUBILEE"!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

But sure, "characters are the least important..."
Too bad even you demonstrate what a whopping lie that is.

Or are you going to put your money where your mouth is, and rename yourself "Good story" now... "JUBILEE"?? :roll: :P

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Zechs wrote:
You can't. There will always be that. That's the problem this regime of DC has created. Before Didio took office there wasn't this problem. Everything was nice and quiet. Now? Fans are divided over Alan/Hal/John/Guy/Kyle, Jay/Barry/Wally, Barbara/Cassandra/Stephanie, and to a lesser degree Ollie/Connor. It's not fans fault DC fucked this up so royally, it's DC's. They made the freaking mess and they even have an out to appease every fanbase. 52 worlds and not one were a commonality can take place to appease each side?

This stuff has been going on since before Didio.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:59 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:For something that's destined to fail, isn't it odd that it's still going strong ? :smt017

"You fool! Don't you know evil always triumphs in the middle!" :P

In the long run, this cobbled, hobbled, overhyped mess that Dan and the Gang call a reboot will stumble and fall.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Punchy wrote:
This stuff has been going on since before Didio.

But Dan and the Gang made it worse, especially in the Flashes' case. Pretty much everyone had made peace with Mr. Allen being gone... then here comes Geoff's pet character, Barry-Sue!! :roll:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it..."

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Superhero comics are all about repeating the past, it's only a curse on the readers. Look at Marvel, putting everything back to reset with the mutants, reviving almost all the dead characters from the last years, putting Loki back to normal despite the fans to suit the movie-goers, etc.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Black Jumbo wrote:Superhero comics are all about repeating the past, it's only a curse on the readers. Look at Marvel, putting everything back to reset with the mutants, reviving almost all the dead characters from the last years, putting Loki back to normal despite the fans to suit the movie-goers, etc.

Loki still looks like a kid though right?

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 336 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:25 am

I have nothing but praise for Dixon after reading this. I so agreed with what he said about New Marvel-90's-Rehash-52.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand