Tuesday, December 18, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Exclusive! Exclusive! Hggulghhlgghhlghhlghh!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Cleaning the Plate for 11-26-08

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Read it here.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:33 pm

I don't read the two Marvel books you reviewed, but I enjoyed the comments nonetheless.

I'm not sure I agree with your feelings about Wonder Woman, but then, I'm not sure how I feel about this issue in the first place. I think that it will end up being a good story, but I am not sure this is the direction for Diana to be taking.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:41 pm

diana_fan wrote:I don't read the two Marvel books you reviewed, but I enjoyed the comments nonetheless.

I'm not sure I agree with your feelings about Wonder Woman, but then, I'm not sure how I feel about this issue in the first place. I think that it will end up being a good story, but I am not sure this is the direction for Diana to be taking.

what direction is that? getting some human supporting cast members with actual personalities who can also actually help Diana? facing new villains that actually pose a threat and may have some staying power? having to go balls out to whoop out?

b/c i gotta say...i loved this issue. Diana needs some new villains. she needs big-time threats that can actually whip her ass on a good day and NOT be immediately turned good. and Gail has even made me stop hating the whole DMA angle (it still ain't my first, second, or even third choice for WW, but i don't actively hate it anymore). i'm excited about the book.

and i really likede Nova too. even if it hadn't been cool (which it was), i would've been sold with the brief to the new (i think?) head of Project: Pegasus, Director Gruenwald. classy move, and a nice nod and wink.

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:47 pm

I'm sad you didn't mention that Fing Fang Foom's cousin is a new member of the Nova Corps, that was a highlight in a great issue for me.

SI: Inhumans was great and there aren't enough words to praise how great it was.

I don't read Wonder Woman, so I have no comment on that one.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:48 pm

chap22 wrote:what direction is that? getting some human supporting cast members with actual personalities who can also actually help Diana? facing new villains that actually pose a threat and may have some staying power? having to go balls out to whoop out?

b/c i gotta say...i loved this issue. Diana needs some new villains. she needs big-time threats that can actually whip her ass on a good day and NOT be immediately turned good. and Gail has even made me stop hating the whole DMA angle (it still ain't my first, second, or even third choice for WW, but i don't actively hate it anymore). i'm excited about the book.

That's why I said I wasn't sure about it. :)

Honestly, the DoMA angle just makes me sick to my stomach. And so it's difficult for me to get past that. I hate Tom. There are elements of this book that I have a problem getting past. That's just the way it is.

OTOH, I love the way Gail writes Diana, and I love the idea of a serious, dangerous villain.

There's a lot going on here, and I obviously have issues with some of it. :)

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:36 pm

diana_fan wrote:That's why I said I wasn't sure about it. :)

Honestly, the DoMA angle just makes me sick to my stomach. And so it's difficult for me to get past that. I hate Tom. There are elements of this book that I have a problem getting past. That's just the way it is.

OTOH, I love the way Gail writes Diana, and I love the idea of a serious, dangerous villain.

There's a lot going on here, and I obviously have issues with some of it. :)

do you hate Tom, or just the idea of him with Diana?

have you ever actually read the REAL Tom Tresser (which Gail's version is MUCH closer to than Heinberg's or Picoult's man-whore smartass was), from great books like 80s Brave & the Bold or Suicide Squad? because that real Nemesis is a straight-up, honorable badass who i actually like as Diana's romantic interest...he's like old-school Steve Trevor but able to hold his own that much better. if you can find some old Nemesis appearances, and do like i do and just pretend that the dude Heiny and Picoult wrote was Everyman in disguise, you may start to like him.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:46 pm

chap22 wrote:do you hate Tom, or just the idea of him with Diana?

have you ever actually read the REAL Tom Tresser (which Gail's version is MUCH closer to than Heinberg's or Picoult's man-whore smartass was), from great books like 80s Brave & the Bold or Suicide Squad? because that real Nemesis is a straight-up, honorable badass who i actually like as Diana's romantic interest...he's like old-school Steve Trevor but able to hold his own that much better. if you can find some old Nemesis appearances, and do like i do and just pretend that the dude Heiny and Picoult wrote was Everyman in disguise, you may start to like him.

See, I haven't read those stories. But I already really dislike the guy.

Come on. Diana, Princess of Themyscira is "going out" with some shlub from DoMA? I don't buy it. That's like me going out with Caroline Kennedy. It's ridiculous.

I realize that he was a badass in the past, but the idea that she is involved with him makes me ill.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:50 pm

The only guy who makes sense for Wonder Woman, IMO, is Superman.

That's part of why I liked Kingdom Come so much.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:52 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:The only guy who makes sense for Wonder Woman, IMO, is Superman.

That's part of why I liked Kingdom Come so much.

BINGO!

I actually like Batman as a romantic interest, as well. But Tom? Give me a fucking break.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:53 pm

diana_fan wrote:See, I haven't read those stories. But I already really dislike the guy.

Come on. Diana, Princess of Themyscira is "going out" with some shlub from DoMA? I don't buy it. That's like me going out with Caroline Kennedy. It's ridiculous.

I realize that he was a badass in the past, but the idea that she is involved with him makes me ill.

heh. Nemesis ain't exactly "some shlub"...he's pretty much the DCU's greatest spy. hell, he's an American James Bond, Batman without the costume...at least, before the two aforementione hacks who started this volume of the series got a hold of him. and i could see Diana being attracted to any of those 3 characters. it sure as HELL is more likely than Trevor freakin' Barnes.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:58 pm

diana_fan wrote:BINGO!

I actually like Batman as a romantic interest, as well. But Tom? Give me a fucking break.

I always wanted to see how their kid turned out.

Superman and Wonder Woman for parents + Batman as teacher = BAD ASS!!!

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:58 pm

chap22 wrote:heh. Nemesis ain't exactly "some shlub"...he's pretty much the DCU's greatest spy. hell, he's an American James Bond, Batman without the costume...at least, before the two aforementione hacks who started this volume of the series got a hold of him. and i could see Diana being attracted to any of those 3 characters. it sure as HELL is more likely than Trevor freakin' Barnes.

Granted.

But he's still nowhere near her class. And Di might not be that type of person, might not judge like that, but let's face it: she's far more likely to be with someone like Bruce Wayne than Tom Tresser.

And, even though he was written better in the past, the fact is that he, as written now, is just a stupid pig. Why Diana would even give him the time of day is a question.

If Gail believes in him, though, I will give the guy a chance.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:00 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I always wanted to see how their kid turned out.

Superman and Wonder Woman for parents + Batman as teacher = BAD ASS!!!

More likely: PSYCHO! :)

I mean, honeslty, think about all that could go wrong with a situation like that.

But generally, yeah, I agree with you. Total. Badass.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:02 pm

diana_fan wrote:More likely: PSYCHO! :)

I mean, honeslty, think about all that could go wrong with a situation like that.

But generally, yeah, I agree with you. Total. Badass.

Yeah, I imagine there's a lot of pressure you're born into. LOL :-D

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:07 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Yeah, I imagine there's a lot of pressure you're born into. LOL :-D

Poor kid. :(

Really, think about it: Your mom is the greatest woman to have ever lived, and you dad is ACTUALLY Superman. No pressure at all.

leave a comment with facebook