Friday, May 6, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Because comics!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Comics: Collectible vs. Stories

Collecting comics?

I used to collect for value, but now I only collect for having the stories around.
29%
I collect some for value
6%
I think all my comics are going to be valuable some day
No votes
They are and have always been for reading, suckas!
41%
What are comics?
No votes
This is The Outhouse: I need toilet paper...what did you think I was going to use?
6%
My library rocks
6%
Other
12%
  Total votes : 17

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:54 pm

CNN has a story (video).

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:11 pm

Other: long boxes make good coffee tables.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:23 pm

Footrests, too. Used to keep my collection right next to my computer desk. :D

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:45 pm

I got my printer on two longboxes (that's all I own). That's what's up!

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:51 pm

I like the stories. I grew up with all of these heroes. That's why I buy them.

Comic_Doctor

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Comic_Doctor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:08 pm

starlord wrote:I like the stories. I grew up with all of these heroes. That's why I buy them.

Pretty much the same for me. I'm a completist too, so I enjoy filling in holes, runs, etc..

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Comic_Doctor wrote:Pretty much the same for me. I'm a completist too, so I enjoy filling in holes

why do you guys tease me with these lines! :?

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:14 pm

starlord wrote:why do you guys tease me with these lines! :?
For the same reason Sports Illustrated puts out a swimsuit issue every year. Dangling the carrot in front of the kept horse.

Daniel

Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:32 pm

I used to collect for value but not anymore, though who knows?

The Juan Percenter

Rain Partier

Postby The Juan Percenter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:47 pm

I was one of those idiots who had to buy the foil cover editions back in the 1990s. Now, I just buy for the stories and I am happy to give my books away when I finish reading them.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:49 pm

I use to collect some for worth but those have since become firewood.

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:19 am

milton73 wrote:I was one of those idiots who had to buy the foil cover editions back in the 1990s. Now, I just buy for the stories and I am happy to give my books away when I finish reading them.
*cough* *cough* :wink:

DeadFett

Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 am

I've always read comics for stories and characters I like. If they end up being worth something, that's cool. I still probably wouldn't sell them.

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:48 am

I used to collect and read. I'd read it, bag it, board it, and usually never read it again. Then I weeded a lot out and kept the ones I loved reading and the ones worth more than $20. Then I thought I was going to Peace Corps that first time around and sold a bunch to rid myself of moving them around. Then I just got tired of floppies and switched to trade. And then I donated those to the library. So I can still read them whenever but I don't have to move them with me. And if I really get in a bind, I can gank a read at B&N, usually. I don't own any comics at the current time.

Daniel

Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:51 am

L'Indépendant wrote:I used to collect and read. I'd read it, bag it, board it, and usually never read it again. Then I weeded a lot out and kept the ones I loved reading and the ones worth more than $20. Then I thought I was going to Peace Corps that first time around and sold a bunch to rid myself of moving them around. Then I just got tired of floppies and switched to trade. And then I donated those to the library. So I can still read them whenever but I don't have to move them with me. And if I really get in a bind, I can gank a read at B&N, usually. I don't own any comics at the current time.

I got to Borders and B&N a lot to just read trades, and my lcs has no problem with me just reading there and not buying.

leave a comment with facebook