Advertisement

Comics Pros React to Gail Simone Being Fired from Batgirl

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 69 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Re: Comics Pros React to Gail Simone Being Fired from Batgir

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Jubilee wrote:It's ridiculous the favoritism certain people get.

If you justified "Before Watchmen" because it was going to made money. Then you deserve this.

If you justified Supermans family getting money from WB because they signed a contract. You deserve this.

You get the industry you deserve. Too many of you don't vote with your wallet. You download stuff you like, you buy stuff you don't. You stick up for ideals now, but before you were fine with everything going on.

Creators keep getting screwed. Creators keep leaving the big 2, and the quality keeps declining. In the last few years Brubaker, Morrison, Millar and Vaughn have left the big 2. This is part of the reason why. But as long as it's "Crazy old Alan Moore" complaining you're ok to just laugh it off.

I'm so glad I'm done with this antiquated industry which is floundering in front of everyones eyes. Too many people are blaming Didio or Quesada. It's the whole industry.

Oh, FFS. You can dismount from the high horse at any time, Twigg. You've been killing Herald for years for being one-note...when that one note has been requesting the removal of Dan DiDio and company for years.

Every person who identifies as a DC guy knows how bad it is, and says it repeatedly. Many of us read far less DC than we ever have, some to the point of not reading any.

I can't even remember the last time Mark Millar wrote a Big Two comic. The industry didn't collapse. And depending on who you ask, there are plenty of folks who wish he had never written Civil War. Same with Morrison on Final Crisis. Brubaker's X-Men run was lackluster and his Deadly Genesis mini was decidedly less than that -- in other words, while talented, it's not like they shit gold.

The reason why this is evoking irritation isn't some Gail Simone double standard. It's the fact that a creator got fired over email, which is merely the latest in a series of dick moves by DC. Every time DC does something stupid, people respond. Every single time. So please stop acting like you hold a fucking doctorate in industry rage -- I can't think of a single person here who wouldn't clean house at DC today, if they could.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:32 pm

This is the kind of thing I think is killing DC's ability to attract top creators. I'm not a huge Gail Simone fan apart from Secret Six, and i dont even read Batgirl, but this seemed like it was handled very poorly. I couldn't imagine a good writer like Mark Waid or Jonathan Hickman wanting to get involved with that kind of environment. It's a real shame.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:38 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:This is the kind of thing I think is killing DC's ability to attract top creators.

One thing I do find interesting about DC's current talent pool is that they're apparently having some success drawing in Image's best and brightest. John Layman and Justin Jordan are HUGE wins for them!
Last edited by TimDrake'sDumbWings on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 397 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:01 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Oh, FFS. You can dismount from the high horse at any time, Twigg. You've been killing Herald for years for being one-note...when that one note has been requesting the removal of Dan DiDio and company for years.

Indeed. "Jubilee's" monumental capacity for hypocrisy knows NO bounds. I bet he doesn't even remember that it was only 3 days ago that he was once again whining about me attacking poor, poor Dan and the Gang.

Maybe NOW he understands that what happened to Gail is one of the many reasons I keep on speaking out about these incompetent morons, and that people NEED to keep highlighting their idiocies since that's part of how all this crap will finally stop. But given his track record, I highly doubt he could learn anything. :roll:

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Herald wrote:
Indeed. "Jubilee's" monumental capacity for hypocrisy knows NO bounds. I bet he doesn't even remember that it was only 3 days ago that he was once again whining about me attacking poor, poor Dan and the Gang.

Maybe NOW he understands that what happened to Gail is one of the many reasons I keep on speaking out about these incompetent morons, and that people NEED to keep highlighting their idiocies since that's part of how all this crap will finally stop. But given his track record, I highly doubt he could learn anything. :roll:

I think it's more likely that you and Twigg bump uglies and Twigg gives birth to a dead horse and a belt.

Hab

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 pm

habitual wrote:
I think it's more likely that you and Twigg bump uglies and Twigg gives birth to a dead horse and a belt.

Hab

You can't argue with this, Outhousers. It's science.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:48 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

this is the first time you've actually been right in weeks! :lol: :lol:
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 430 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Zechs wrote:I know I should feel sad and all but I for one gladly will enjoy the PR nightmare this will become for DC and nasty aftermath. Oh, and maybe Gail coming back to Marvel and writing a good mainstream title without editorial breathing down her neck.

What book I ask you? Thunderbolts, She-Hulk, Electra, Ant-Man (Hank Pym), or a Taskmaster ongoing.

Sounds good to me.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Herald wrote:Another nasty move from Dan and the Gang??
Whatta surprise.

Nobody is surpised, Herald. I swear to god that Didio somehow feeds off the hate that people have for him.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:52 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I'm not trying to revisit every questionable creative and editorial decision DC has ever made, but really, nothing DC does as a company has surprised me since Sue Dibny's retroactive rape.

Again, we can all argue the merits of the story, so on and so forth. I'm not doing that.

What I'm saying is that it was clear at that point, and has been seen time and again, that DC will take the low road. A quality company and organization, with principles and processes in place, doesn't do things that way.

Because at the end of the day, you have a choice about how you do things. You have a choice about what you publish, how you treat people, what kind of company you are. You choose what path you take.

DC, for getting close to 10 years now, has opted to take the low road when they have the opportunity to simply walk away from scenarios where professionalism and respect for the characters, creators and readers would have been easy.

It's sad to see. It really is. Gail Simone's just the latest example. She won't be the last.

Exactly. And DC wonders why Marvel will always come out on top ahead of them.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:53 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I'm not trying to revisit every questionable creative and editorial decision DC has ever made, but really, nothing DC does as a company has surprised me since Sue Dibny's retroactive rape.

Again, we can all argue the merits of the story, so on and so forth. I'm not doing that.

What I'm saying is that it was clear at that point, and has been seen time and again, that DC will take the low road. A quality company and organization, with principles and processes in place, doesn't do things that way.

Because at the end of the day, you have a choice about how you do things. You have a choice about what you publish, how you treat people, what kind of company you are. You choose what path you take.

DC, for getting close to 10 years now, has opted to take the low road when they have the opportunity to simply walk away from scenarios where professionalism and respect for the characters, creators and readers would have been easy.

It's sad to see. It really is. Gail Simone's just the latest example. She won't be the last.

Exactly. And DC wonders why Marvel will always come out on top ahead of them.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Your word for today Harold: Obsessed.

You sound like the kind of guy that goes through Dan the Man's (modern day Stan Lee) trash.

You lost me big time at the Stan Lee comparison. Didio couldn't tie the laces on Stan's shoes, much less fill them. It is a grave insult to compare one of the biggest names in comicdom to a moronic hack that is more hated than Jim Shooter ever was.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm

holtom2000 wrote:I'm am frankly loving the dc hate. They've earned it.

That's Didio's shining quality, which is to piss people off.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:16 pm

chap22 wrote:
this is the first time you've actually been right in weeks! :lol: :lol:

Just because I say something often doesn't mean it's not true.

If you have Hab on your side, time to question what you believe.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Jubilee wrote:
Just because I say something often doesn't mean it's not true.

If you have Hab on your side, time to question what you believe.

what Hab said had absolutely nothing to do with anything you said. more with you personally. go back and read it again, One-Note McGee. :P
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand