Advertisement

Comics Pros React to Gail Simone Being Fired from Batgirl

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Re: Comics Pros React to Gail Simone Being Fired from Batgir

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Rockman wrote:George RR Martin wanted to work for marvel but they could never come to terms on how many PPP (pies per page) to give the guy and the deals fell through when HBO filled his swimming pool with pudding in an opening gambit to make the TV show.

:lol:

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Email firings, unions, and pie...where the hell is Khux to put all this into context?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I agree with buying Hondas and Toyotas, they're good cars.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I agree with buying Hondas and Toyotas, they're good cars.

Disagree. Toyotas have been spontaneously catching fire or losing the ability to break a whole lot the last several years.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
Disagree. Toyotas have been spontaneously catching fire or losing the ability to break a whole lot the last several years.

Who wouldn't love a car without the ability to break? :smt017

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
You know, it's frustrating sometimes to have people look at simple situations with such a lack of perspective about the big picture.

I don't assume that union workers should "give and give." Stunningly enough, I've been in unions. So yeah, I understand a little bit about it -- maybe, just maybe, enough to say this:

In 2008, General Motors was in the same position as Hostess, except for the likely profiteering. But questionable management had taken the company into bankruptcy.

The government bailed them out, but not without concessions from the unions within GM. Pensions were adjusted. Pay rates were adjusted. Some lost their jobs. But if those terms weren't accepted, GM would have been shut down.

Instead, GM workers/unions chose to "give and give."

What did they get? Their company stayed open. They repaid their bailout loans in 2010 -- years ahead of schedule. They had record profits in 2011.

GM is THRIVING. Reorganization has meant workers are still protected by unions, but the company still exists and workers are benefiting.

But nope. That's all bullshit. All that shit shouldn't have happened, and we should all be buying Hondas and Toyotas because the point of unions isn't to give in.

All that shit comes to a halt in the world of convictions, where the inability to see the forest for the trees is something to which to aspire.

GM wasn't diverting payroll funds from workers pension funds.

So not quite the same position.

Hab

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:49 am

habitual wrote:
No you idiot, I'm saying it's not smart to want it not to be, it gives you more freedom to do whatever you want. There isn't a single reason creatively that would impact the story you write in any way. In short, it's childish.

Sit on the back of your chair son, this shit's going over your head.

And the argument that there are zero readable titles at either company is crazy.

It's dumb.

Good day sir.

Hab

It's not childish. It's knowing that without ramifications that are explored and expanded upon there is no point doing a story in the MU.

It's also not crazy. They're all producing the same books under the same guidelines. Not crazy at all.

I just completely destroyed you with your arguments, so it's hilarious to see you call me dumb.

Just as a recap, this is how the conversation went.

"If you write a good enough story, it won't be retconned"

"Every writer has been retconned at marvel"

"So?"

Your initial claim that if you write a story good enough it won't be changed is SO dumb I'm still laughing at it.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am

Jubilee wrote:
It's not childish. It's knowing that without ramifications that are explored and expanded upon there is no point doing a story in the MU.

It's also not crazy. They're all producing the same books under the same guidelines. Not crazy at all.

I just completely destroyed you with your arguments, so it's hilarious to see you call me dumb.

Just as a recap, this is how the conversation went.

"If you write a good enough story, it won't be retconned"

"Every writer has been retconned at marvel"

"So?"

Your initial claim that if you write a story good enough it won't be changed is SO dumb I'm still laughing at it.

I'm not really all that surprised, the fact that you aren't banging garbage cans together and walking around with a load in your pants is what gets me.

Ask yourself some time how many of Bendis's or Hickman's stories been retconned.

Maybe since you're not reading comics any more you should just give up message boards too?

Hab

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:43 am

Plenty of Bendis' stories have been retconned.

Let's see, first of all there's obviously House of M. I don't see Wanda crazy any more so Avengers Disassembled as well. Speaking of which didn't Ant-man just come back?

Oh Wasp is alive as well, so obviously Secret Invasion has been retconned, and I believe someone just killed off his characters in the new Avengers issue?

Oh yeah, obviously his whole Daredevil run was retconned pretty much? Fear Demon was it? Wife completely removed from the picture.

In the Ultimate Universe he killed the Beast which was promptly retconned.

I admittedly haven't read Hickmans work for years, no idea what's been retconned there.

Can anyone tell me what significance came from Bendis' role on the Avengers though? Which characters were in different places from New Avengers #1 to the final issue?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:01 am

Jubilee wrote:Plenty of Bendis' stories have been retconned.

Let's see, first of all there's obviously House of M. I don't see Wanda crazy any more so Avengers Disassembled as well. Speaking of which didn't Ant-man just come back?

Oh Wasp is alive as well, so obviously Secret Invasion has been retconned, and I believe someone just killed off his characters in the new Avengers issue?

Oh yeah, obviously his whole Daredevil run was retconned pretty much? Fear Demon was it? Wife completely removed from the picture.

In the Ultimate Universe he killed the Beast which was promptly retconned.

I admittedly haven't read Hickmans work for years, no idea what's been retconned there.

Can anyone tell me what significance came from Bendis' role on the Avengers though? Which characters were in different places from New Avengers #1 to the final issue?

Luke Cage got married and had a kid.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:05 am

Now he is out of the Avengers and not in a monthly book (?)

Hurray for progress!

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:10 am

It seems like this thread's twig and the one claiming to be excited about Avengers Arena are two different people. It also seems like twig has a more extreme definition of retcon than anyone else.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:20 am

Avengers Arena is everything comics should be. Exciting, dangerous and unpredictable.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am

Jubilee wrote:Now he is out of the Avengers and not in a monthly book (?)

Hurray for progress!

yeah, b/c clearly killing the character off would've been a much better option, right? there's tons of monthly books he could be starring in when he's dead. no, wait...
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:37 am

Jubilee wrote:Avengers Arena is everything comics should be. Exciting, dangerous and unpredictable.

Then you probably shouldn't be making absolute statements that nothing the big 2 are producing is worthwhile.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand