Advertisement

comiXology Confirms Amazon Sale, Denies Selling Out

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Re: comiXology Confirms Amazon Sale, Denies Selling Out

Postby MrBlack » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:31 pm

TimH wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yay, Jeff Bezos now dominates not only the book market, the e-book market, but also the digital comic market.

This ratifies my decision not to go through Comixology's self-print (whatever) when I finish my comic. Amazon is the Wal-Mart of the internet. With the exception of Jeff Bezos and a few of his executives, everyone involved with Amazon gets squeezed dry--wholesalers, employees, partners, everybody except the customers (at least until we no longer have choices outside Amazon).

Those third party sellers at Amazon--what a deal they have. They aren't permitted to combine shipping, and Amazon usually price matches them such that their obligatory $3.99 shipping fee / item makes them more costly than Amazon.

You think that as a digital publisher you will reach any kind of mutually beneficial deal with Amazon?

As for imposing price pressures on DC and Marvel to bring e-comics down--why bother? Comixology already corners the market on that. The only rivals with any presence are Dark Horse and Marvel (which hedged its bets with Comixology anyway). Amazon lowers prices to undercut rivals. Comixology had no rivals.

:lol:

Pretty much this.

Comixology's only rivals in digital comic publishing have been Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Now they only have one rival who doesn't have much of a presence on the digital landscape anyway.

In any event, DC and Marvel are too focused on keeping retailers happy to cave to any pressure to lower prices by Amazon. It was a hard enough fight for them to get same day digital comics in the first place.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:01 pm

RottenArsenal wrote:Am I the only one that just isn't terribly excited about digital comics?

I'm pretty pissed at Marvel for making Deadpool: The Gauntlet a web only series that tremendously impacted the print series. Sorry, but I'm just not gonna pay $39 for a comic series I can only read on an electronic device. Would've been nice if they had put a TPB or something out before Deadpool #27.
But hey... whatever. Maybe Amazon will be cool and allow Prime members unlimited not-have-to-pay-anything-extra access to the digital comics.

I've been 100% digital for going on 3 years...so yes, you are.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby AngusH » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:05 pm

RottenArsenal wrote:Am I the only one that just isn't terribly excited about digital comics?

No, you aren't the only one. I like physical books too, but you know what, that won't be the case with people starting the hobby now (or the past few years). I have hundreds of albums on CD and maybe a hundred DVDs stored in boxes somewhere in the house, I don't even know where. Same with books, which I rarely touch since getting a kindle. That's the way things will go for this medium, too.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm

I'll also add that it's probably a good thing. The gimmick about comics having some kind of value and a million variant covers is hurting the medium artistically IMO and has been for decades.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:40 pm

AngusH wrote:I'll also add that it's probably a good thing. The gimmick about comics having some kind of value and a million variant covers is hurting the medium artistically IMO and has been for decades.

Comics do have value. And yes, gimmicks and variants might have reduced that value but that doesn't mean they've eliminated it.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:15 pm

Arion wrote:Comics do have value. And yes, gimmicks and variants might have reduced that value but that doesn't mean they've eliminated it.

I'd argue they pretty much have. Very few comics ever end up having value beyond (or even equal to) the cover price in reality - regardless of what any guide/site values them at - and I'd wager that the vast majority of collectors will have spent significantly more on their collection than they'd ever recoup if they sold it off.

And if someone was going to dedicate the time to researching and only buying comics they think will one day be worth something.... well.... that's probably time better spent investing just about anywhere else. :wink:

cettel
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby cettel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 pm

This deal will work out great, I feel like. Reminds me of the Zappos deal. Zappos runs independently, but the "backend" support provided by Amazon allows them some opportunities that they didn't have before. This is what I see for Comixology.

At the end of the day, it could potentially increase the reach for indie creators, and will give Comixology a support system they didn't have. I expect the platform to improve and get cleaner. Looking forward to this.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:32 pm

AngusH wrote:
I'd argue they pretty much have. Very few comics ever end up having value beyond (or even equal to) the cover price in reality - regardless of what any guide/site values them at - and I'd wager that the vast majority of collectors will have spent significantly more on their collection than they'd ever recoup if they sold it off.

And if someone was going to dedicate the time to researching and only buying comics they think will one day be worth something.... well.... that's probably time better spent investing just about anywhere else. :wink:

Well, I guess it all depends on which comics do you have in your collection.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:05 am

Arion wrote:Well, I guess it all depends on which comics do you have in your collection.

Of course. If you've got your Golden Age Batman/Superman/Uncanny X-Men/1st Appearance of whoever then they've got some value. For the other 99.9% of books, not so much.

Glacier16
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 25 posts
Title: kung-fu treachery

Postby Glacier16 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Annnnd as part of this deal Comixology is now retiring their app for a new one that removes in-app purchasing. No more % cut for Apple. I just downloaded it and it is a bit of an inconvenience compared with the old way. Works like Kindle in that you buy online (at the site) and then you can download to the device.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/26/comixology-retires-app/

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 472 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Glacier16 wrote:Annnnd as part of this deal Comixology is now retiring their app for a new one that removes in-app purchasing. No more % cut for Apple. I just downloaded it and it is a bit of an inconvenience compared with the old way. Works like Kindle in that you buy online (at the site) and then you can download to the device.

http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/83931330905/important-changes
ImageImageImageImageImage

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Glacier16 wrote:Annnnd as part of this deal Comixology is now retiring their app for a new one that removes in-app purchasing. No more % cut for Apple. I just downloaded it and it is a bit of an inconvenience compared with the old way. Works like Kindle in that you buy online (at the site) and then you can download to the device.

For now, you can still buy comics off of the Marvel/DC apps.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:34 pm

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Although I think Amazon should have waited till they came up with a better method than redirecting you to their website, I think you're silly if you buy it through the app anyway on an iDevice given that it costs 30% more, which is hardly an insignificant amount. It would be naive to think that Amazon don't have ulterior motives, but still, I believe the storefront is still there for Android/Play devices? IMO Apple taking a 30% cut is ludicrous and if it effects people's iDevice experience then great.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:18 pm

GLX wrote:
There's iVerse, but their way of "competing" is pretty poor. Why not have a strong web store, when Dark Horse and Comixology do? :?

Because this purchase is just a pawn in the hardware war that Amazon is at with Apple and every other ebook reader, it will be harder to read comics on other platforms as a result of this.

Gerry Conway has a nice take on it:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/04/27/gerry-conway-the-comixology-outrage/

Impulse buys are crucial to hooking new readers to new books. I bought my first comic by impulse at a candy store around the corner from my parents’ apartment in Brooklyn in 1961. (Yes, I’m very old. Age makes me cranky sometimes but it also gives me perspective born of experience.)

fantastic-four-no-4-1961That initial impulse purchase was Fantastic Four #4, and after devouring it I rushed back to the store where, surprise, issue #3 just happened to still be on sale. Bought it too, and I was hooked. From then on I bought every comic I could find with a superhero on the cover, along with tons of other comics with science fiction themes, or pure adventure, or even some with Ducks. I became a regular reader because the store was right there, on the corner, and it was easy. It had to be easy because comics were simple, quick fun — candy for the mind, a quick fix of entertainment. You don’t make quick entertainment hard to access. You may it simple and easy — an impulse buy.

Comixology’s in-App storefront did that. It provided quick and easy access to comics from the majors to the indies, one-stop shopping at the point of sale, at the moment where the customer is most vulnerable to the casual pitch: while he or she is actually reading a comic, and is in the comic-reading frame of mind, and is mildly (or intensely) interested in another nibble of brain-candy.

By forcing readers to leave the app and go searching the Comixology website, add books to a cart, process the cart, return to the app, activate download, and wait for their purchases to appear, Comixology has replaced what was a quick, simple, intuitive impulse purchase experience with a cumbersome multi-step process that will provide multiple opportunities along the path for the casual reader to think twice and decide, ah, never mind, I don’t really want to try that new book after all. I’ll stick with what I know. Or worse, when a new casual reader opens the Comixology app for the first time and sees that THERE ARE NO COMICS THERE, and that he or she will have to exit the app and go somewhere else and sign up for a new account, maybe he or she won’t bother buying a comic in the first place.

This is a disaster.

So why did Comixology do this? Why did they take a successful platform with a proven track record for introducing new casual readers to comics, and turn it upside down?

The answer, of course, is simple. Comixology didn’t do it, because Comixology as a company no longer exists. It’s a software product and a website; it isn’t an independent entity anymore.

It’s Amazon.

DC Comics Amazon StoreAmazon did this. It did it for one reason, and one reason only: to advance their proprietary hardware platform, the Kindle, at the expense of Apple’s platform, the iPad and iPhone. They have deliberately degraded the iPad and iPhone Comixology app so that users of the Kindle will have a better reading and purchasing experience. That’s all this is about. They’ve destroyed the future of digital comics to give an advantage to their hardware platform — and, in passing, to leverage their control of digital comics distribution to do to comic book stores what they’ve already done to brick-and-mortar book stores.

Now, I’ve heard some folks say that Amazon is just trying to avoid paying Apple’s “greedy 30% fee” for in-app purchases. This is such nonsense it almost doesn’t require a response, because there are people out there who have a knee-jerk reaction against Apple that goes beyond critical thinking, but in the hopes of reaching more open-minded readers who might be tempted by that argument, let me address it.

Apple charges 30% for in-app purchases of eBooks, music, video, games. Amazon charges 30% for digital distribution of eBooks, music, video, games. Same deal. Period.

There’s a long and fruitless debate to be had over whether or not Apple “deserves” to make a profit off its App Store. Anti-Apple deniers say no, and their arguments usually boil down to just a dislike of Apple making a profit (or what they consider a “greedy” profit). The fact is, Apple provides a storefront for developers to sell their apps, and as any store owner would, asks for a piece of the money the developers make as a result. Mall owners ask store owners to pay rent. It’s a normal business transaction. Happens every day. Apple’s App Store provides developers with access, and gives them three ways to pay for the privilege: developers can charge for the app directly (and Apple takes a cut, 30%, same as Amazon); developers can provide the app for “free” and Apple will place ads in the app (ad-supported payment, like Google search); or developers can offer in-app purchases (and Apple takes their 30% cut, one step removed).

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand