Advertisement

comiXology Confirms Amazon Sale, Denies Selling Out

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 505 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: comiXology Confirms Amazon Sale, Denies Selling Out

Postby Amoebas » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm old school, but not old enough to not know that digital is the future.

Advertisement

Gummahfan
Tip Top Dancer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Gummahfan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:19 pm

That conway article makes a really powerful point. Digital comics are HUGE in giving new creators a voice. It's sad to see that some of this progress is being slowed.
My indie comic is finally released, you can check it out here.

If you want a digital copy, you can pick it up here

@cedricklui || cedricklui.com

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:30 am

GLX wrote:Gerry Conway doesn't hold back.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/04/27/ge ... y-outrage/

Thanks for sharing the link.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 404 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Gummahfan wrote:That conway article makes a really powerful point. Digital comics are HUGE in giving new creators a voice. It's sad to see that some of this progress is being slowed.

Conway knows what he is talking about, since he lived through the big transition from comics being mass market items to specialty items. This transition had a massive impact on the entire medium, and not for the better, IMO. He's right that digital comics had the potential to bring the medium back to the mass market, and now Amazon seems to have put a nice monkey-wrench into that.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby AngusH » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:38 am

Digital will bring it back to the mass market, it just may well end up being through someplace else outside of Comixology if Amazon screws this up.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 204 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 am

Once I set up paypal as the payment option in Comixology, it didn't seem any harder to make a purchase and the cart option was sorely needed anyhow. If google and itunes were taking a piece of the action, it's a smart business decision. Plus the credit was a nice surprise.

Pink_Orchid likes this post.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 404 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Sorry to bump this slightly-aged topic, but I have some new information about this that I just came across in the last week.

My comic shop, Acme Comics in Greensboro NC, is an awesome place. The guys who run it are really friendly and they love what they do. And it's a great shop. I've been shopping there for about 18 months. Back when I started, I told them that I do a lot of my comic reading electronically, and they pointed out that they have a storefront at ComiXology. Basically, I could go through their website, purchase comics through their front-end, and then read everything as normal on ComiXology. But Acme, my LCS, would get some credit for it (how much, I don't know). Now, their front end was coded by a friend of the owner's so it was not as elegant as ComiXology's. It was slightly less user-friendly. But I went to the Acme front end anyway, to support my LCS.

Well, last week, for the first time since this sale was made official, I finally got back around to catching up on all my electronic purchases, and I tried to go to my bookmark for the LCS's front end to ComiXology. Guess what? Dead link. I thought maybe they changed the address, so I went to their website. There's nothing there anymore about buying digital stuff through them.

Today, I asked the owner about it. He said that once Amazon bought ComiXology out, they pulled the plug on local vendors being able to participate. He can no longer get any credit (or money) for my purchases on ComiXology.

I used to buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, but after this, they've earned a spot on my list. Now I will not buy from them unless I have no other choice. And I will now have to go out of my way to buy trades instead of digital stuff.... because I'd rather support my LCS than Bezos.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand