Friday, July 20, 2018 • Morning Edition • "At least we're not The Comics Reporter!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Conan The Barbarian Thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 am

I decided to do a new appreciation thread that is dedicated to a certain fictional barbarian we all know, namely Conan. I was originally testing the waters in some other threads but I have now decided to give him his own thread if there isn't one already.

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 am

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 am

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 pm

By Crom, I'm actually reading 'The Complete Chronicles of Conan' on my Kobo right now. Eeeevery single Robert E Howard Conan story. Just finished Slithering Shadow, now onto The Pool of The Black One.

It's interesting, in the manner of a lot of early-ish fantasy. He does a great job of evoking the idea of a world where every civilization is built upon the bones of those that came before, a bottomless onion of mystery and horror. He kind of seems obsessed with race and genealogy, but so far it hasn't veered into the super-creepy realm of, say, HP Lovecraft, who's like your racist uncle who embarrasses you at family gatherings.

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Yeah, I enjoyed the early books and short stories. Wish I could have said the same for the last movie. :smt011

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Clockwork_Fish wrote:By Crom, I'm actually reading 'The Complete Chronicles of Conan' on my Kobo right now. Eeeevery single Robert E Howard Conan story. Just finished Slithering Shadow, now onto The Pool of The Black One.

It's interesting, in the manner of a lot of early-ish fantasy. He does a great job of evoking the idea of a world where every civilization is built upon the bones of those that came before, a bottomless onion of mystery and horror. He kind of seems obsessed with race and genealogy, but so far it hasn't veered into the super-creepy realm of, say, HP Lovecraft, who's like your racist uncle who embarrasses you at family gatherings.

I wouldn't know about Lovecraft. I only read "In The Mountains of Madness", and was so bored by the 300,000 page lead-in to any action that I kind of tuned out, so I didn't get any subtext.

As for Conan, I liked the Arnold movie, thought it was sort of campy fun, terribly acted, but fun, but I haven't read any of the books or comics, so I know very little about the character. Might download some of the books onto one of my e-readers though.

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:50 pm

achilles wrote:
I wouldn't know about Lovecraft. I only read "In The Mountains of Madness", and was so bored by the 300,000 page lead-in to any action that I kind of tuned out, so I didn't get any subtext.

As for Conan, I liked the Arnold movie, thought it was sort of campy fun, terribly acted, but fun, but I haven't read any of the books or comics, so I know very little about the character. Might download some of the books onto one of my e-readers though.

I saw the first Conan movie and then the remake with Jason Momoa. I know people thought the latter was a terrible movie but Momoa did a decent job-too bad it didn't help the rest of the movie unfortunately.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 am

Ah Conan the Adventurer The show was bad and pretty much made on the cheap, but as Janet Weiss sang "I'm a muscle fan."

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Bald Bull

crash test dummy

Postby Bald Bull » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Draco x wrote:Image

Savage Sword of Conana has the best covers ever!

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Draco x wrote:
I saw the first Conan movie and then the remake with Jason Momoa. I know people thought the latter was a terrible movie but Momoa did a decent job-too bad it didn't help the rest of the movie unfortunately.

The remake was certainly better than Conan The Destroyer. That's not hard, but still...

Johnnie Torch

cheese

Postby Johnnie Torch » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:26 am

My mother used to read me comics when I was little, and I remember getting one of those department store three pack bags with Iron Man on one side & the Avengers on the other, with this issue-
- in the middle. My mother didn't know Conan from a hole in the wall and she read me the issue.

Needless to say, she told me soon after that I wasn't allowed any more 3 packs with Conan in them. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook