Advertisement

GL Corps Annual #1. Officially now the worst GL event ever

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: GL Corps Annual #1. Officially now the worst GL event ev

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
That's what Blackest Night felt like to me.

And that's why I stopped reading.

Except in that you actually got the Black Lantern's defeat.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Anyone else get an
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
AOA Crystalline Wave
vibe from that last page panel ? :idea:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:48 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Except in that you actually got the Black Lantern's defeat.

I guess I didn't pick that up in the OP. Holy shit. This IS worse than Blackest Night.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 241 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Nothing about Hal/Sinestro at all.
This isn't their book.

Baz and Guy talk and then split up with Guy going to Oa while Baz and the chipmunk end up stuck in Black Hand's book where they run into him. Cue the end of the Baz plotline which will continue the next issue of GL.
Guy hooks up with Kilowog and leads an attack on the Guardians using Krona's gauntlet until Kilowog free's the rings of the Corps for the big fight.
John Stewart, Mogo and Fatality fight the Third Army and later get to Oa to join the big fight. Guess this was the GLC subplot
White Lantern Kyle and the New Guardians appear on Oa to also join the fight. The New Guardians subplot.
Atrocitus shows up with a Manhunter army and joins in the fight. Red Lantern subplot.
Cue the big epic fight that this entire event has been teasing with everyone vs the Guardians and their Third Army. But it never actually gets further than a couple pages or so and will likely not go any further despite all thos build-up and foreshadowing we've been getting ever since the DCnU started.
To finish off this story arc the Guardians get desperate and call on ore of the First Lantern's power which leads to this story's conclusion: The First Lantern aka Volthoom breaks free and declares that everyone will be no more to conclude this story leading up to the next mega event of "Wrath of the First Lantern"
This book pulled in various sub-plots from all the GL books. What's so wrong about that? Who said this issue was even supposed to resolve any of them?

For the record what really annoyed me about this cash grab of an event
This was a "cash grab"? Looked to me like it was self contained to the GL books. I wouldn't even call it an 'event', more like a cross-over between similar themed titles.

For the record what really annoyed me about this cash grab of an event is that there is usually an ending in these multi book events. A definitive moment that wraps stuff up despite laying the seeds for the next one.

There was none here. It went from the middle of the climax of the story titled "rise of the Third Army conclusion" to " to be continued in "Wrath of the First Lantern".

No story in this was ever finished, it just got tacked on moments to continue everything into the following issues with no resolutions at all.

It's comics - no story is ever over until the characters are dead or the book is cancelled. Comics have long told stories with subplots that eventually were continued all the while including new sub-plots along the way to be told later (i.e. Claremont's X-Men for a bazillion years).

That this story will move to the next story doesn't surprise me at all.

But the one thing I have to disagree with you on the most ...
What a load of shit.
Everything you mentioned from Guy & Kilowog leading the charge, to Mogo reforming, to Kyle as the White Lantern on Oa to the "epic" fight and the guardians running desperate, etc... to this reader, THAT'S why I loved it. It pulled all the pieces together and pushed the story to it's next phase.

I admit the actual fight was briefer than I would have liked, but I don't think it's as over as you say it is.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:17 pm

You hate Fraction/Allred FF yet find this brilliant.

Seems legit.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 pm

fieldy RICHARDS wrote:For the record what really annoyed me about this cash grab of an event is that there is usually an ending in these multi book events. A definitive moment that wraps stuff up despite laying the seeds for the next one.

There was none here. It went from the middle of the climax of the story titled "rise of the Third Army conclusion" to " to be continued in "Wrath of the First Lantern".

No story in this was ever finished, it just got tacked on moments to continue everything into the following issues with no resolutions at all.

It's kind of sad that seems to be the only thing for GL books now. EVENT AFTER EVENT. Why can't DC just let the books and writers do their things?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:You hate Fraction/Allred FF yet find this brilliant.

Seems legit.
Never said I hate it. I just find it not well thought out (as I evidenced in the FF #3 thread).

Likewise I never said GL Corps Annual #1 was brilliant. I found it entertaining and consistent with the 4 GL books.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Amoebas wrote:Likewise I never said GL Corps Annual #1 was brilliant. I found it entertaining and consistent with the 4 GL books.

i half agree with you on that.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Sounds like ass. Johns hasn't written a decent GL book since the Sinestro Corps War (which is probably the best work he's ever done).

Just let Peter Tomasi write the damn books.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:57 pm

chap22 wrote:
Nova = GL done right. that's right...i said that.

This. And when Chap and I agree the earth splits open and truth breaks free.

It's refreshing to know that Johns can come up with a lamer event than Rebirth/Afterbirth.

Hab

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 am

MrBlack wrote:Sounds like ass. Johns hasn't written a decent GL book since the Sinestro Corps War (which is probably the best work he's ever done).

Just let Peter Tomasi write the damn books.

Okay let me see if I have this right. You think Johns is a has-been and you'd prefer Peter Tomasi to write. But you also think GLC Annual #1 (written by your preferred writer Peter Tomasi) "sounds like ass".

Just no pleasing some people sometimes I guess :-D

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 am

Nothing about Hal/Sinestro at all.

Amoebas wrote:This isn't their book.

Yep. Goes with what I've been saying for a while. Johns is saving Hal, Sinestro and Baz for the last minute save. Betting that's why he took Hal and Sinestro off the board so early on with the Black Hand subplot.

Atrocitus shows up with a Manhunter army and joins in the fight. Red Lantern subplot.

Actually Atrocitus doesn't show up on Oa. He just sends a Manunter squad to assist. This ties in with what's happening right now in his title this week.

Yeah, it does end abruptly and without a clean resolution I think most folks were expecting. That strange "white-wash" ending hopefully this leads to something bigger than just the next arc.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 407 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 am

chap22 wrote:that's not tough at all. and as a devoted reader of Hypernaturals, you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking it is.

(the answer's DnA, btw, folks)

No.

I am hoping again hope they take back the Nova and GotG books...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 407 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 am

Amoebas wrote:This book pulled in various sub-plots from all the GL books. What's so wrong about that? Who said this issue was even supposed to resolve any of them?

Nothing really wrong with pulling in the subplots... but if it was Rise of the Third Army related, it should have been concluded. Since this was the conclusion of that story.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am

sdsichero wrote:
Nothing really wrong with pulling in the subplots... but if it was Rise of the Third Army related, it should have been concluded. Since this was the conclusion of that story.

Okay, so the 'rising' is concluded. Now it's time to see what happens next. :-D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand